Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could you live in a world without money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could you live in a world without money?

Some people like my mother can't comprehend a world without money. When I asked her this question she replied "Well what would you buy things with?" And that says something about not only her but many other people who would no doubt grab far more items off the shelves than they really need if everything suddenly became free. Some people can't see something for free and not take it. My question is, can you? If you lived in a world where literally everything was free, could you resist the temptation to take more than you need?
    http://familyresearched.co.uk/

If the world somehow transitioned to the state of making everything free. Then I personally think I wouldn't take too much more than I need. I'd basically live the same I live now, but fetch a few more things. If I was born in a world like this though, I'd probably take quite a bit more than I need.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENqzSGWU8AQlbQs.jpg:small

Comment

Probably not to a certain extent, I'm pretty sure I'd always have a stockpile of food just in case something bad happened.
      But like other goods I probably wouldn't care for, I'd maybe have 3 PS4's just in case others break but not like 300 just to collect them, for that seems pointless.
      What a horrific world that would be.

Comment

It's perfectly possible, currency is a useful tool but by no means the only one. Anarchist Communism in particular I imagine would be a clear example, with your needs being taken care via a contract to perform such and such services (that you choose) in return for accommodation for your needs and wants. In this case it'd probably also cover all the random entertainment you'd want to keep up with, I know I'd end up probably with a ton of books and video games and the like, but in terms of 'essentials' I'd probably be rather humble. Enough to take care of myself, with food and water enough to feed myself. I don't think I'd even need that large a house or anything, not until I got interested in having a family at any rate.

I think it'd be easy, and anyone could, even your mom, she'd just have to adjust to whatever the system is.

Signature and Avatar by NinjaSushi

Comment

Originally posted by Tinny View Post
          It's perfectly possible, currency is a useful tool but by no means the only one. Anarchist Communism in particular I imagine would be a clear example, with your needs being taken care via a contract to perform such and such services (that you choose) in return for accommodation for your needs and wants. In this case it'd probably also cover all the random entertainment you'd want to keep up with, I know I'd end up probably with a ton of books and video games and the like, but in terms of 'essentials' I'd probably be rather humble. Enough to take care of myself, with food and water enough to feed myself. I don't think I'd even need that large a house or anything, not until I got interested in having a family at any rate.

I think it'd be easy, and anyone could, even your mom, she'd just have to adjust to whatever the system is.
          But then that's pretty much just the same, only "money" becomes your food, entertainment etc etc.
          If you're working in order to get something, that something is the currency and the incentive for you to do things.

I don't think a world or at least a society would function properly without it, a society beyond pure survival that is. People need reasons to do things, even down to the gratification of the approval of others.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

But then that's pretty much just the same, only "money" becomes your food, entertainment etc etc.
            If you're working in order to get something, that something is the currency and the incentive for you to do things.

I don't think a world or at least a society would function properly without it, a society beyond pure survival that is. People need reasons to do things, even down to the gratification of the approval of others.
            By that logic money is also labor and time, at which point the actual concept of money is meaningless beyond "thing I want and things I do to get what I want," which isn't money. Money is a very specific resource that exists to perform the function of money, food is not money because food has an actual purpose. The same applies to entertainment.

If you say money is reasons to do think than is selflessness and and the joy of creation money? Of course not, again, money is an object that performs the functions of money, and only serves that purpose. This is like arguing that in a bartering system, fish is money, it is not, fish is fish and is being traded for something else. And also people have plenty of reasons to do things, money is not one of them, it is merely a means to the actual reason. You get money not because you want "money," but because you want the tv money can get you, or the food money can get you, or the security that money can afford you. These all would likely still be present in any system, even moneyless anarcho-communism. You still want certain things (sometimes material like a sound system, or immaterial like the respect of your community), and are willing to do something for your community to get them, maybe it's creating art or creating buildings or farming depending on what your passion and hobbies are.

You even mentioned "even if it's the gratification of others" and that's totally something to want and a reason to do work and such. Gratitude is also not money, nor are goods and services. Only money is money, and we can easily imagine a world or at least a community without money and currency.
            Last edited by Tinny; 17-02-2019, 04:30 PM.

Signature and Avatar by NinjaSushi

Comment

Working...
            X