Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody here successfully learnt a second language at an older age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody here successfully learnt a second language at an older age?

Post-infancy, to a genuinely conversational level? Not like "I can tell you what's in my pencil case".

If so,what language(s) and what learning resources and processes worked for you?
    --------------------------------------------Signature-----------------------------------------------------

(aka TrunksinSwimmingTrunks aka daman)

“Planets are just places for people to stand on. Planets are just rocks. It takes people to make it a world. You can have as many “Earths” as you want. I only care about what’s inside.” – Sakamoto Tatsuma (Gintama)

Kamikaze Pyro is a girl? olsiw

One of my best friends is very fluent in speaking different languages. The other knows American Sign Language. My Uncle tried using Rosetta Stone before, but I don't think anything came of that. I tried taking Spanish, but I didn't do very well... I hear Autistic people have more difficulty learning different languages, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
      One of my best friends is very fluent in speaking different languages. The other knows American Sign Language. My Uncle tried using Rosetta Stone before, but I don't think anything came of that. I tried taking Spanish, but I didn't do very well... I hear Autistic people have more difficulty learning different languages, though.
      I once heard before that you develop different personality traits when you learn or speak another language. I thought it was cool finding that out.

Comment

Yes, I learned English.

Comment

Post infancy. I guess English counts. Just learnt it from video games, movies, TV, the Internet. You're constantly in contact with the language, it just comes naturally.
          I'm conversational in German and French. Mostly through school. Also going there on vacation.
          I'd say I'm near conversational in Italian. Decided to learn it myself. Using apps like Duolingo, trying to watch TV series in Italian. It's progressing pretty good. I can have simple conversations with people

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
            One of my best friends is very fluent in speaking different languages. The other knows American Sign Language. My Uncle tried using Rosetta Stone before, but I don't think anything came of that because he failed the main exam taken via Proctoredu.. I tried taking Spanish, but I didn't do very well... I hear Autistic people have more difficulty learning different languages, though.
            Once I also wanted to learn sign language but still haven't mastered it
            Last edited by Renan Lodi; 21-05-2022, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X