Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't society forgive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why doesn't society forgive?

You may have heard of the recent controversy surrounding Liam Neeson.
    This topic isn't about that exactly but it highlights the issue I'm talking about.
    I haven't looked in to it much myself but the gist of it is that in an interview he mentioned how for some reason after a friend of his was raped I believe he walked through black communities for a week hoping he'd get attack so he could kill a "black bastard" (not sure the rapist was ever confirmed to be black, he was just being pretty racist and angry at the time)

He expressed this in a regretful way and acknowledged that it was terrible of him to feel that way however many years ago it was, he was being open and honest about a terrible part of his life which if you ask me was pretty brave of him to admit in general let alone in this social climate, of course the way he thought and acted then was horrible, he absolutely should regret it.

And so begins the smear campaign for his evil crimes, things he's said taken completely out of context to make him out to be some hardcore racist today, articles that don't even attempt to touch on the context of what he was saying and why, just saying he's a terrible person now because of something terrible he did years ago that he's come to reflect on years later, naturally. A strong aim being to derail his career.

Why does society do this? It's incredibly stupid. If someone is being honest about bad things they did or thought then we should be open to forgiving them and acknowledging that they changed and grew as a person.
    Instead whenever anyone does that they're blasted for it "once a racist always a racist" "once a homophobe always a homophobe"
    It's pathetic, people change and they don't deserve any praise for how they used to be but they deserve forgiveness at the very least.
    Some things can certainly be pretty unforgivable depending on the affect they had on an individual but when someone didn't actually harm another person it makes no sense to drag them through the mud in this particular fashion.

Literally all that does is encourage people to bottle up any shitty feelings they have and never confront how bad a person they could be because doing so basically means destroying their life. Which only serves to breed even more hatred.
    Everyone does negative things in their life at some point or another, to varying degrees. To be punished for it forever regardless of context is a disgusting societal norm that needs binned.

The friend told Neeson that the rapist was black, that's why he went out looking for someone of that description. For some reference on this:

The problem with his statement is that he doesn't seem to regret the fact that he looked for a black man. He regretted thinking violent thoughts in general, which is fine, when the issue is that the he would kill any black man for what one black man did to his friend. I believe him when he would've gone out and did the same thing if the rapist was white, but I can understand why some people are skeptical about that when he also touches on heritage and how he was raised in N. Ireland. It's either one or the other, not both.

Another odd thing is that this isn't really revenge. He didn't know what the man looked like aside from him being black, which he knew according to his friend. Maybe he felt so much guilt that he couldn't keep it to himself anymore, it was nagging him so much for so long, but if this was me I would've never told the media this, that seems like career suicide.

I commend him for feeling regret and shame for what he did, but he should've never told the press about this.

That said, I've read many comments on Twitter following this revelation by Neeson and I can safely say people ignore context. There are loads of people saying that's how Neeson feel today, you can't change the racist in yourself, etc etc. Interestingly it's black males who tend to defend him for his statements.
    Last edited by Emmeth; 06-02-2019, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Yeah whenever it's to do with race I notice there's a lot of white guilt going around, a lot of white people violently declaring how good they in particular are for not being racist more so than judging the person or situation at hand.

It's a messed up way for Neeson to have felt but I don't think anyone can really blame him for being angry about it and sure it may have had racist undertones we don't really know but if someone was ever racist that doesn't mean they're cursed to always feel that way.
      Definitely a massive risk to bring this up but depending on context it really shouldn't be, someone acknowledging that they did or thought something bad shouldn't be punished as though they did something truly horrific.

I've been seeing folk react to this almost as negatively as the whole thing with Kevin Spacey.
      Someone who certainly seems to have caused some actual harm and has basically shown to remorse for it what so ever. That's just ridiculous. I can see why people would be wary to associate themselves with Neeson but to act like he's currently an avid member of the KKK for virtue points is sad.
      As said this behaviour just encourages shitty people to buckle down and not assess their identity, if you can't even apologise for something why would anyone want to bother.

Comment

Working...
      X