Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.
Please register if you would like to take part.

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A genetic engineering question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A genetic engineering question

You know how most baby animals are super cute and much easier to take care of than their adult selves? Would it be possible to genetically engineer an animal so that it does not grow beyond a certain point? Essentially keeping it in cub form. And if this were somehow possible, would it be ethical? Would the creature's lifespan be shortened? Would it grow deformed due to the effects of restricted growth? Would it encourage poaching of wild animals such as chimpanzees and tigers?
    http://familyresearched.co.uk/

I think it'd be very unethical but if people could get away with it they would totally do it.
    Corgi's that stay puppies forever? The upper class would be all over that.

As for everything else I feel it'd be entirely negative for the animal, most young creatures like that have super fast metabolism's which helps a puppy grow from midget to adult size in like 6 months.
    If they stayed that size their metabolism would stay highly active and they'd most likely essentially burn their body out.

Plus other weird ****, unless it was a perfect process I bet you'd have juvenile animals that have adult sized limbs and other completely out of proportion bits like that.

The only good thing I can see about doing this, maybe anyway, is perhaps preserving animals that are near extinction.
    Like Panda's, if you could just keep them tiny and give them milk or whatever maybe they'd have more time for us to think of alternative foods and ways to get them to breed, whereas if they grow to their full size they'd be hard to manage plus all the other issues that comes with the way they are.

Same with anything huge that requires a lot of food I guess, Elephants for instance. If like 20 of them were kept tiny while a massive enclosure was made for them and left to grow it could perhaps better sustain them.
    Though that depends on this being reversible.

Comment

If you can guarantee no health issues for the animal then I guess it would be okay. Problem is we can't guarantee that. We can't even semi-naturally breed dogs without it being littered with genetic defects. Many dog breeds suffer the entire lives from chronic birth defects. It's very unethical what we did to dogs. Let's try to make any dog healthy and happy first before we focus on our own desires.

Comment

The short answer is almost definitely yes, because there are genetic conditions where this kind of thing happens, including in humans.
        “Planets are just places for people to stand on. Planets are just rocks. It takes people to make it a world. You can have as many “Earths” as you want. I only care about what’s inside.” – Sakamoto Tatsuma

Kamikaze Pyro is a girl? olsiw

Comment

Working...
        X