Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask Cal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask Cal

Hey there. I'm sure most of you already know who I am but for those that may not I'm Cal. I've attached an image of my wife and myself taken within the last month.

I joined DBZF originally around a decade ago. I remained active for 5-6 years I think. I started as a member and then became a support staffer, and then an elite, and then a legend. To be fair though my legend status was stripped of me during the dbf forum wars. DBZF helped me get through some difficult times of my life. I graduated high school in 2010 and went to Western KY University (same time I joined DBZF). I failed out of college in my first semester because I didn't take it seriously. During that time I was more depressed than I ever had been. Thankfully though I had a great community of people that I loved. DBZF was a cool place with cool people. In rural KY you don't find people that are anime fans and manga fans, they just don't exist down here. I didn't have those friends in my life that I could see every day, but I had a website and a forum that had my people on it and I'm so thankful for that.

I remember doing podcasts with Tim, Rogue, and Engineer. I remember talking with Sam on Skype for 6+ hours about how we were the smartest people on Earth (still TBD). I remember some members joining and blowing us all away with their knowledge and professionalism (Copy_Ninja). I remember making fun of Sousen for bravely posting photos of his Scottish self in a kilt. I remember staying up until 3am with Solid Snake, Copy, and many others waiting to see who Tobi was from Naruto and being blown away by it being who it was. I remember my views of life changing while I was here-there was always a lot of anime/dbz discussion but there was a lot of thought provoking discussion too. I'm from a town in KY with around 4,000 people and there was 1 non white person in my high school class of around 200 people. I didn't know any homosexual or transexual people. I was scared of a lot fo things despite having considered myself progressive considering my peers where I live. DBZF helped me understand cultures/people and allowed me to understand different viewpoints outside of power levels of DBZ characters.

DBZF means a lot to me and when I visited a few days ago I was sad to see that it had devolved into what it is today. Forums in general are dead and dying (if you don't count Reddit) but I always considered DBZF a constant. Some of the best friends I will ever have are or were here and I don't want to let it go quietly into the night. Over the next few months Sam and I will be working to see if we can increase activity and to get it back to some of it's former glory. I will be posting some announcements soon looking for suggestions as well as a short and long term plan for the boards.

Anyway this thread is a "Ask Cal" thread so I'll tell you a little about myself and then we can get it started.

I'm 29 and my wife is 30. We live in KY. I went back to college after I failed out and graduated with my Associate and Bachelor Degree. I'm currently an Engineer for a company close to where I live. My wife teaches 8th grade US History. We have a 3 year old son and a Great Dane. We all love Harry Potter and have a pretty good collection of Harry Potter legos I'll share later (Maybe today) on the forum. We enjoy sports. I enjoy anime and rewatched the original DBZ series while I had a covid a couple weeks ago. I'm open to all questions so feel free.

Attached Files

What are your top 10 favorite Shonen Manga?

Comment

Wow, that's difficult for me. In no particular order and I'm sure I forgot some that should be in here:

DBZ
      Bakuman
      Death Note
      Naruto
      Hunter X Hunter (will likely end up being the best manga/anime ever to not be finished)
      Rurouni Kenshin
      FMA:B
      One Piece
      Yu Yu Hakusho
      Code Glass

Comment

I remember you disliking Dragon Ball Z back on Shinden Reborn. What made you change your mind? And what made you decide to place it higher than Bleach?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Green Uncle 2 View Post
          I remember you disliking Dragon Ball Z back on Shinden Reborn. What made you change your mind? And what made you decide to place it higher than Bleach?
          I wasn't a fan of it because I thought a lot of members from DBZF weren't willing to branch out to other series because of it. It became like Pokemon in America where people didn't even recognize it as a Japanese Media product anymore. A lot of my friends at the time DBZ got big thought it was an American Show. I will say though that I rewatched the whole series not too long ago when my family including me all got Covid and I do understand why people love it and why I do too. You have to be able to give it credit for what it was able to do.

I will say though that I think a lot of anime fans consider themselves die hards but have only seen their favorite 10-15 Shonen Series. There's nothing wrong with this at all but it's like having steak and because you've had it and know it's great you're not willing to try grilled lobster because you already have steak. I wish more people were willing to watch series like Chihayafuru, Monster, etc, etc, etc.

Comment

I think more people are willing to watch and read a bunch of Anime and Manga more than they used to. Big brands like Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach were more like gateways to more Anime & Manga, whether it be in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, and the 2010s, as they started to die down in popularity overtime.

I read Monster all the way through to the end. It's an excellent Seinen with a large and diverse cast of characters. I believe it's also Naoki Urasawa's most critically acclaimed series, despite 20th Century Boys having sold more Manga volumes.

Does your wife like Anime & Manga? Do you plan to introduce your son to the hobby when he gets older?
            Last edited by Big Green Uncle 2; 14-02-2021, 04:12 AM.

Comment

My wife likes a couple of shows but not many. She watched Attack on Titan with me when it first came out and did enjoy it. She also watched A Silent Voice with me and cried at the end. She was embarrassed but I loved the reaction from her. Anime has been making me have feels for decades haha.

I will let him find his own interests but he will be caught in the crossfire of my hobbies for sure so we will see how he reacts to it once he's old enough. I hope he enjoys it.

Comment

How long have you been married?

Comment

We've been married for over 5 years and have been together around 8 I think.

Comment

Do you plan to have any more children together?

Comment

I honestly don't know. My wife is a tenured teacher and has been teaching for 7 years now. Where we live she will get full retirement at the ago fo 49. She will have insurance and be able to carry me on insurance and get a pension. If I can save up enough in my 401k before then we will both retire at 49. If we have another kid that will push that back at least 4-5 years so I'm not sure and neither is she right now.

Comment

Where you got Luka Doncic in 5 years? Dude's gotta be easily in MVP consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by Goddess Ultimecia View Post
                          Where you got Luka Doncic in 5 years? Dude's gotta be easily in MVP consideration.
                          No doubt. He put on a show last night despite losing to Portland in the end. I think he will be a little better than Dirk was for the Mavs and could lead them to a title within 5 years. He's a true unicorn and besides his feet being slow on defense is easily a top 5 player already.

Comment

Personally I'm conflicted on having Luka as top 5 atm, but also feel kind of hypocritical. Because have Jokic and Embiid both within the top 5, as well as Steph and Lebron. That last spot has AD, KD, Lillard and Doncic competing for it. Kinda think KD personally, but I also really like that Lebron-esque do everything on the court vibe that Luka has as well. Big fan of elite playmaking and Luka definitely has that

Comment

Originally posted by Goddess Ultimecia View Post
                              Personally I'm conflicted on having Luka as top 5 atm, but also feel kind of hypocritical. Because have Jokic and Embiid both within the top 5, as well as Steph and Lebron. That last spot has AD, KD, Lillard and Doncic competing for it. Kinda think KD personally, but I also really like that Lebron-esque do everything on the court vibe that Luka has as well. Big fan of elite playmaking and Luka definitely has that

I'm not sure Lebron should be there as good as he still is. Look at their stat breakdown so far this year below. I would agree with Dame because he doesn't have the support case that LeBron and KD/AD do. He has more points, rebounds, and assists. Granted, the team is under performing so he is knocked for that (as he should be).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 7.40.57 PM.png
Views:	37
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	10794

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 7.43.44 PM.png
Views:	27
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	10795

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 7.44.44 PM.png