Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.
Please register if you would like to take part.

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Discussions - Movies & TV

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's Martin Freeman. He can be in anything he wants.
    http://familyresearched.co.uk/

Comment

Just saw the first episode of The Punisher. First episode was very good.

Comment

Something I want to say about the Punisher S2 finale:
        Spoiler Alert!
        It ends with Frank, in full Punisher garb, mowing down some gang members. Now, there's a lot on that scene worth complaining about. But what I want to point out is that it cuts from Frank shooting and grunting straight to a "IN LOVING MEMORY OF STAN LEE" message. It's so jarring that it borders on self-parody.

Comment

I saw Fantastic Beasts 2 the other day, here's the "review" I posted on a different Discord:

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - 6/10. Not fantastic. Despite a bunch of plotholes/retcons I think the story is fine. The underrated part of the film is the great acting, because it truly has some really good actors in it. Eddie Redmayne is, as usual, solid, Katherine Waterston, Zoe Kravitz and Hugh Grant do a good job with their characters and especially in Grant's case does he capture the youth of Dumbledore really well. The outstanding performance for me, however, is Johnny Depp as Gellert Grindelwald. He plays the role with such bravado as he usually does in his films, but it fits the character so well; He captures the essence of how charismatic and dangerous the dark wizard is with almost utter ease, yet we also see he's not really as unhinged as Voldemort turned out to be. It's a perfect mixture of reason and madness.

Comment

Yeah that was a pretty meh movie, I liked it but this series has nothing on Harry Potter so far.

I liked the whole ending sequence, actually felt some tension there wasn't immediately obvious what would happen.
            Glad they didn't drop Depp after those accusations, Grindelwald was pretty cool.

So the big duel should happen next I guess? Can't wait to see that.

I wonder when the next Harry Potter will be? Seems like nothing has quite taken the world by storm like that in a while. I guess GoT is somewhat of a contender but of course something only adults can really enjoy so it's limited for that. I want to experience a series that just makes me think "Woah" again. Rewatched the Harry Potter movies so many times.
            Feel like fantasy in general needs more love. There isn't even anything coming close to Lord of the Rings either.

Comment

Just finished the first season of Legion. I've decided to give the show a chance after catching up with all that Netflix stuff and it's got one of the most interesting approaches to adapting comics that I've seen. None of the easy solutions or textual laziness you usually see in shows/movies of the genre. Comic books are, or should be, far more of a visual medium than a textual one, and the text in Legion exists to support the creation of instigating images. So it feels more like an adaptation of the comic book medium itself than of specific stories or characters. Which doesn't mean the text/plot is lacking in "depth", of course.

People who are deep into experimental cinema and stuff would probably find the show risible, but since I'm definitely not one of those people, I really enjoyed it. This first season, at least. I'll be checking out season 2 soon.
              Last edited by Topographic Oceans; 12-02-2019, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Admittedly the Crimes of Grindelwald was not very interesting, and I kind of.... Don't care about it? I just wanted to see Newt do stuff with animals, and I kind of felt Grindelwald was... Very irrelevant to anything I cared about, and felt like the movie should have bene a bit more about the fantastic beasts, I'm sure you could so something with like... Grindelwald kidnapping powerful and dangerous animals or something? So Newt wants to like, rescue them or something. I dunno, admittedly I couldn't care less about Depp's character or any of the politics.

Honestly... Why aren't the new movies just about new kids going to hogwarts? Hell I remember a lot of the advertising for this stuff was Dumbledore and the school of Hogwarts.

And huh, with that, I think I'll probably take a look at Legion at some point then. What i saw was promising but I never had the chance to go see it.

Signature and Avatar by NinjaSushi

Comment

Legion's at least worth a look, I'd say. Basically, it's one of the most "comic book" of all comic book adaptations, but not in an obvious way. And there's a lot else in that first season that I found worth engaging with. Then again, you might find the show's brand of weirdness to be just posturing.

As for Fantastic Beasts, it really doesn't seem to do a lot in the "fantastic beasts" front, does it? I definitely wouldn't mind a proper movie about magical wildlife.
                  Last edited by Topographic Oceans; 12-02-2019, 02:34 AM.

Comment

I'm biased, but I'd love something that ended up playing off like Newt being Steve Irwin in the Crocodile Hunter movie, where some way or some fashion some fantastic beast comes part of a plot and Newt's just here trying to save the creature in question. Maybe Grindelwald wants it so he can like... I dunno steal it's organs and create a super magic bomb to spark the wizard-human war or something, some other organization wants to kill it and hide it away so Grindelwald and anyone else can't do the same thing, and Newt's just like "I don't take sides, I'm saving this creature." Or something. Honestly I'd go see it, you'd have a great way to just get into more fantastical escapism about magical nature instead of weird bloodline politics.

Honestly if there even is a next movie, I just want it to focus on wildlife, I'm sure Rowling can write up some excuse as to why they have to go to the Amazon Jungle and play with giant magic frogs or something.

Signature and Avatar by NinjaSushi

Comment

Yeah after seeing that dragon thing I want to see some Oriental magic even more. The visuals there would be superb. It's kinda boring it just being focused on America mostly, especially when this is the first thing to come out after there were confirmed schools of magic all over the world.
                      I wonder how Asian magic would work? Would they still use Latin? Or some Middle Eastern stuff.
                      Such a big world being limited to UK and US is meh.

Comment

Does anyone else feel like The Walking Dead series just needs to end? It's getting to the point where there's really no characters to root for.

Big Season 10 spoilers:
                        Spoiler Alert!
                        Apparently now even Michonne is leaving the series. She's gotten stale, so it's not like it's that upsetting but she's still a major character. Like, who is really left besides Daryl?

Season 9 spoilers:
                        Spoiler Alert!
                        The only thing I really look forward to know is the Rick Grimes Trilogy.

Comment

Stephen Graham. British actor who's only recently started to get roles in America despite being 45. I don't think I've ever seen him in something bad.
                          http://familyresearched.co.uk/

Comment

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle was pretty good, I think the premise makes for a really good franchise. Hopefully the second movie lives up the first (Yes, I am aware WttJ is the second movie, but I consider this more a reboot).

Comment

So I'm sure we've all seen Will Smith as Genie...oh wow.

I can't even bring myself to see it in motion, the trailers are bad enough.
                              If Robin Williams wasn't such a brilliant man I'm sure he'd be turning in his grave.

Will Smith...it's just not going well in recent years is it? I can't think of the last thing I seen him in or heard of him being in that was actually good.

Hoping to get In To The Spiderverse downloaded some time soon really want to see that. I don't think anything will topple Glass for me this year unless King of Monsters is exceptional.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                                So I'm sure we've all seen Will Smith as Genie...oh wow.

I can't even bring myself to see it in motion, the trailers are bad enough.
                                If Robin Williams wasn't such a brilliant man I'm sure he'd be turning in his grave.

Will Smith...it's just not going well in recent years is it? I can't think of the last thing I seen him in or heard of him being in that was actually good.
                                A typical internet response. Wait until the movie is out before you judge it.

Comment

Working...
                                X