Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.
Please register if you would like to take part.

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Discussions - Movies & TV

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps, but at the same time social trends are moving a lot faster, and hell Ms. Marvel sells like hotcakes on the digital platforms, apparently being the most sold comic, beating out well... Comics like Spider-Man. If nothing else, she's easily one of the biggest of the new heros that Marvel has put out as a company, only other one that gets close is Miles Morales who just had a new movie. Plus Kamala's written in such a way that generally she's... In the comics she's sort of taken over the narrative spot Spider-Man used to occupy as the relatable superhero for the teenagers. I think they've got good reason to release a movie starring Kamala a lot earlier than it took for them to release a movie about T'Challa or Carol Danvers.

Least as I saw it, a Ms. Marvel movie isn't really that far away, given that despite the pushback that is Trump's presidency, representation of a larger amount of people has been building and building up in popular culture. Hell Black Panther is at the oscars in a nomination for Best Motion Picture of the Year. So least for movies I'm pretty hopeful that Ms. Marvel is getting a movie a lot sooner than it took for Captain Marvel to.

Signature and Avatar by NinjaSushi

Comment

Tinny, no, stop blowing Kamala out of proportion. She's nowhere near as big as any of the other big names in the company, heck not even as big as some second-rate baddies, across the globe. I know you like her very much, but just because she sold well digitally does not mean she's big, because most people don't even care about her or her comics, heck they don't even buy them to read them and those that do only give it negative reviews unless it's people specifically hyping the comic to get more people to buy them, which is what Marvel has been doing a lot lately considering how in a few years they may die as a company, because their sales just keep dropping and dropping. And don't give me the diversity nonsense, many of those who share her ethnicity only mark her down as a publicity stunt or tokenistic, but the kind of tokenism that is not appreciated by minorities, who get tired of it (many of which have stopped reading because of this, not just because of crappy writing). Disney will only make a movie of her for this precise reason, because it creates controversy and thus earns them more money, they're not doing it for the minorities, there used to be a time where they truly cared about stuff like that but in truth, these days they've decided to cut Marvel's balls.

The fact that it'll be like that will be enough to tell you it won't be great... At least with Aquaman and Shazam, based on what I've seen, they appear to have taken the comics into account a little more instead of shoving them aside like garbage and keeping the names (at best) and overall, they seem to be having more fun, which gives the impression that the movie was made with care and love in mind, and not just with the goal to make as much money as possible. It's true every piece of media is made with the final purpose being profit, but a good amount of this entertainment medium was made by people having fun, which translates well into an entertaining product. The same way you could tell they were having fun with Venom, or any of the X-Men movies (which are quite gritty at times, too).

It's funny how right now, the more ignorant stereotypes have shifted, Marvel and DC are thought by normies to be bright and dark respectively... And now it's pretty much the opposite. Though on Marvel's case, more specifically the MCU... It's not darkness done very well.

On another note, I do agree with Topo on the latest Halloween movie, it didn't really do anything new, it was just a huge homage to the franchise, and especially the '78 classic. But you know what, I haven't enjoyed a horror movie in a long time and I felt great when the movie was over!
      Bear?

The King of Bears!

Comment

Originally posted by Darker View Post
        Tinny, no, stop blowing Kamala out of proportion. She's nowhere near as big as any of the other big names in the company, heck not even as big as some second-rate baddies, across the globe. I know you like her very much, but just because she sold well digitally does not mean she's big, because most people don't even care about her or her comics, heck they don't even buy them to read them and those that do only give it negative reviews unless it's people specifically hyping the comic to get more people to buy them, which is what Marvel has been doing a lot lately considering how in a few years they may die as a company, because their sales just keep dropping and dropping. And don't give me the diversity nonsense, many of those who share her ethnicity only mark her down as a publicity stunt or tokenistic, but the kind of tokenism that is not appreciated by minorities, who get tired of it (many of which have stopped reading because of this, not just because of crappy writing). Disney will only make a movie of her for this precise reason, because it creates controversy and thus earns them more money, they're not doing it for the minorities, there used to be a time where they truly cared about stuff like that but in truth, these days they've decided to cut Marvel's balls.
        Tokenism is an interesting complaint, given that the author G. Willow Wilson is a Muslim convert, Sana Amanat (another creator) is was born to a Pakistani family. A casual google search of "Ms. Marvel Tokenism" only turns up https://shieldmaidensblog.wordpress....the-classroom/ this in which an instructor talks about a student saying that Ms. Marvel was problematic due to tokenism. There's other stuff I could talk about, but this one in particular stands out as it... Quite frankly is an extraordinary claim to make without evidence, especially given your own bias against the company to put it frankly. As it stands, combined with other rhetoric you've made about Marvel being a shell of it's former self, about it going to crumble completely in the next decade, about that one time you showed me a video from a reactionary youtube channel that unironically uses the NPC meme and clearly never read Ms. Marvel... I have my doubts about what you are saying. Especially given that Marvel already would be taking on the so-called controversy with a film literally called "Black Panther."

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/06/b...superhero.html
        this article talks a brief bit about the creators, who very plainly seem to have put themselves into her
        Last edited by Tinny; 06-02-2019, 12:46 AM. Reason: Adding an afterword on Ms.Marvel's origin.

Comment

Since we're on the subject of superhero movies, I really hope that Ava DuVernay's New Gods movie goes through, but I don't think it will, unfortunately. It would be Warner's best DC movie in ages, for sure.

Comment

Oh wow they're gonna do something with the New Gods? Honestly that would be really interesting if they do go with it, though yeah, it may be unlikely. It'd be a story neither movie studios have touched as well thinking about it.

Comment

DuVernay occasioanlly posts New Gods stuff on Twitter, as sort of a reminder that she's still working on this project, so I'm holding on to a shred of hope that the movie doesn't get shelved or forgotten. A proper New Gods movie would kick ass.

On an unrelated note, the upcoming Justice League vs Fatal Five animated movie is being done in the style of the old DCAU. Maybe it even takes place in the same universe, I'm not sure. I don't think that's a good thing, though. Batman & Harley Quinn was another recent animated movie patterned after the old DCAU shows (Batman: TAS in this case) and it was horrible.

Comment

Both MCU and DCEU have been shown to be progressive when they do make movies which are primarily minority or have a female lead. Black Panther had a black director, Wonder Woman had a female director and Captain Marvel have two directors, one of which is a woman. I'm sure if any of them make a movie with a muslim lead, the director will be muslim aswell.

The decline is sales for both Marvel and DC is because japanese manga has become so popular in the west the last 15-20 years. There are easily more originality in media coming out of japan these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinny View Post
                  Black Panther... Is not generic? What's even the standard for being generic here? If we're talking super hero fare it has a ton of things that set it apart like casting, music, cinematography, story, the focus on the villain if we're sticking to the MCU era, lots of things set it apart, the only thing that would arguably be outright generic is probably the final fight between Killmonger and Black Panther, but even that gets cut off given the ending with Killmonger's speech.

Shazam...This is by far the most shallow reason I've had to have low expectations but the movie just looks awful. Not like, it seems like it'll be bad, I mean it just plain looks bad. The costume of Shazam especially is probably one of the worst I've seen and I'm hoping they do something to change the look.
                  How is it not? It follows all the typical tropes, the focus being slightly more on the villain was a bit different and he's one of the better ones but it was still an incredibly predictable and unsatisfying movie.
                  Like oh no T'Challa was killed and kicked over the waterfall, is the main character going to die 30 minutes in to the movie or make a miraculous recovery and win back his country? Would you be shocked if I told you yes, exactly that?

The visuals of Wakanda were different but the plot elements are nothing new at all hence generic.

I think Shazam! looks great because right away it's not taking itself too seriously, it's not putting shoes 40 sizes too big on like Age of Ultron did and giving us a dark gritty trailer that doesn't remotely resemble the tone of the final product.
                  It knows it's a dumb comic book movie and just wants to be fun with it.
                  Other than like Meteor Man or any other B list superhero movie he's probably the silliest superhero that's been on the big screen.

Speaking of the social side of things, I wonder how Captain Marvel will compare to Wonder Woman? I notice in the trailer before it says "HERO" it highlights "HER"
                  Because, she's a woman you know?
                  Do you think they'd be dumb enough to put in a ton of "lol men suck" humour when Wonder Woman done so well without having to **** on men?
                  As cheap as that would be I'm not the sort of person who'd actually get angry about it just the ****storm would be hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

How is it not? It follows all the typical tropes, the focus being slightly more on the villain was a bit different and he's one of the better ones but it was still an incredibly predictable and unsatisfying movie.
                    Like oh no T'Challa was killed and kicked over the waterfall, is the main character going to die 30 minutes in to the movie or make a miraculous recovery and win back his country? Would you be shocked if I told you yes, exactly that?

The visuals of Wakanda were different but the plot elements are nothing new at all hence generic.

I think Shazam! looks great because right away it's not taking itself too seriously, it's not putting shoes 40 sizes too big on like Age of Ultron did and giving us a dark gritty trailer that doesn't remotely resemble the tone of the final product.
                    It knows it's a dumb comic book movie and just wants to be fun with it.
                    Other than like Meteor Man or any other B list superhero movie he's probably the silliest superhero that's been on the big screen.

Speaking of the social side of things, I wonder how Captain Marvel will compare to Wonder Woman? I notice in the trailer before it says "HERO" it highlights "HER"
                    Because, she's a woman you know?
                    Do you think they'd be dumb enough to put in a ton of "lol men suck" humour when Wonder Woman done so well without having to **** on men?
                    As cheap as that would be I'm not the sort of person who'd actually get angry about it just the ****storm would be hilarious.
                    Was anyone gurssing that T'Challa was dead in 30 minutes? As you said it's early, that isn't meant to trick you into thinking he's dead like it's GoT, this is more an inciting incident that kicks the plot into overdrive and allows T'Challa to meet his family and tell them that they're all wrong for turning their backs in the world. That complaint just seemed really odd to me.

And you are calling it generic but none of which actually talks about how the movie is delivered, maybe if you're sick of the mcu or even the genre as a whole but it hardly does nothing to change it up. It's not Birdman if that's what you're looking for, but, but the aesthetics and delivery of the whole thing is one of the freshest experiences superheroes have given in a while considering the location is somewhere that resembles afro-futurist SF rather than... Well another city modern city. You can't exactly just call the visual and auditory aspect of a visual and auditory medium different and then call it generic. Plot is arguably one of the last things a movie should be so invested in if it get across either some unique aesthetic or some unique themes. Both of which are very different, not that many superhero movies even talk about racial injustice, let alone base the entire conflict around it. It may use similar mechanisms but unless the only thing you look at is the mechanism it gets there with (in other words what ui can get by reading wikipedia instead of watching it), it is a very unique movie in its genre.

the concept is fine, as I said it's shallow but holy crap the costume looks awful and the titular Shazam looks like a doofus. Hopefully dc will pull it off better than it looks but Shazam is every bit the hero the others are if not more. Especially since I heard they got rid of Black Adam. And the costume... Again I'm sorry but the costume looks atrocious. That's all I can focus on. Maybe a different trailer can show it in a better light. Right now it looks like cheap plastic.

Steve read a Captain Marvel comic, I'm not kidding when I say she's great, and it looks like visually they're taking from the time in comics where she went to space and found out her cat was an alien and to speak in rhyming stanzas on a planet. Captain Marvel is doesn't need any of that when she has more interesting directions like if this movie is any indication, they are tackling the split personality of a human and kree respectively that she had in her early days. Again she's not short on stories to choose from seems she has range. Plus she's probably the closest we may get to dbz in live action.

Also Steve, just to be sure how would this be different the already current "would it kill this ***** to smile" and the other complaints about it?

DuVernay occasioanlly posts New Gods stuff on Twitter, as sort of a reminder that she's still working on this project, so I'm holding on to a shred of hope that the movie doesn't get shelved or forgotten. A proper New Gods movie would kick ass.

On an unrelated note, the upcoming Justice League vs Fatal Five animated movie is being done in the style of the old DCAU. Maybe it even takes place in the same universe, I'm not sure. I don't think that's a good thing, though. Batman & Harley Quinn was another recent animated movie patterned after the old DCAU shows (Batman: TAS in this case) and it was horrible.
                    oooh... I remember the Harley movie, it was just kind of odd honestly. I'm not sure why it's like the way it is tbh. And yeah, proper New Gods would really be breaking ground here.

Both MCU and DCEU have been shown to be progressive when they do make movies which are primarily minority or have a female lead. Black Panther had a black director, Wonder Woman had a female director and Captain Marvel have two directors, one of which is a woman. I'm sure if any of them make a movie with a muslim lead, the director will be muslim aswell.

The decline is sales for both Marvel and DC is because japanese manga has become so popular in the west the last 15-20 years. There are easily more originality in media coming out of japan these days.
                    ...Oh yeah that is true, manga is not a competitor isn't it, in a way even more directly given Boku No Hero lol

https://m.ign.com/articles/2018/05/1...captain-marvel
                    and on the subject of a Ms.Marvel movie... it's apparently already a given it'll happen soooo...
                    Yeah, first Ms. Marvel movie is going to be a lot quicker to happen than Captain Marvel or Black Panther.
                    Last edited by Tinny; 06-02-2019, 01:03 PM.

Comment

This isn't the comic book thread or anything but since the subject has been brought up: there's a myriad reasons why the audience for superhero comic books has shrunk massively; it's not just the rise in popularity of manga (although examining how this rise happened can lead you to understand why comics sales dropped). Questionable editorial decisions, a complete lack of accessibility, lack of creative talent, poor treatment of current talent, incomprehensible yearly mega-crossovers, all-around retrogradeness, "fresh starts" that only change stuff superficially, etc. Those are all contributing factors. Comics are too inscrutable to attract new readers, editors have no idea what they're doing, creative teams often seem content with their own mediocrity, and so on.

If cape comics were accessible, affordable and actually interesting, people would still buy them regardless of how popular manga got. Not nearly as much as they did back in the 90s, obviously, but more than they do now. And it's not just a matter of originality, either. The best-selling manga are always the same type of battle shonen.
                      Last edited by Topographic Oceans; 06-02-2019, 01:55 PM.

Comment

That is true to a large extent to be honest, especially the events which happen way too often and seem really dependent on some minor facet i'm not aware of, and I've gotten whole hog in on it. I wouldn't even see I'm particularly easy to dissuade, I've jumped in the middle of stuff before. The crossovers, availability and treatment of creative talent I feel like are the biggest issues here, crossovers do more to dissuade reading in my experience (not to mention on the marvel end they're a bit overly serious despite not having much to say). Seriously if comics could start being sold in a lot more places than specific hobby shops that'd do a lot to increase readership, once you bump down the price anyway.

I guess to turn this back to the movies, I'm hoping the MCU does learn from what the comics suffer from, as it stands the comics are basically an idea workshop for movies, I guarantee that's why the All-New All-Different marvel initiative happened, it's because these characters aren't going to stay here forever, so they're trying to make new heroes to take up the mantle when the various actors retire (at any rate I doubt they'll do the James Bond route).

You know on a more general note, what do y'all think of the franchise craze that's been sweeping through... A lot of the movie world? Hell even M. Night Shyamalan

Comment

You can't exactly just call the visual and auditory aspect of a visual and auditory medium different and then call it generic. Plot is arguably one of the last things a movie should be so invested in if it get across either some unique aesthetic or some unique themes.
                          I completely disagree, if it's an artsy purely visual movie then yeah but this is a movie that was trying to tell a great story and it played out like basically all the other movies, I can't see how that isn't generic or how it's particularly riveting.
                          Good visuals don't make a movie good outright, Avatar's visuals still look pretty gorgeous today even though CGI usually ages badly but the movie at it's core is extremely basic, dull and is just another rehashed white saviour plot essentially.

Steve read a Captain Marvel comic, I'm not kidding when I say she's great, and it looks like visually they're taking from the time in comics where she went to space and found out her cat was an alien and to speak in rhyming stanzas on a planet. Captain Marvel is doesn't need any of that when she has more interesting directions like if this movie is any indication, they are tackling the split personality of a human and kree respectively that she had in her early days. Again she's not short on stories to choose from seems she has range. Plus she's probably the closest we may get to dbz in live action.

Also Steve, just to be sure how would this be different the already current "would it kill this ***** to smile" and the other complaints about it?
                          Maybe she is in the comics but the movie looks completely uninspired to me the only part of the trailers that got me going was Nick being cute as hell with that cat(which I hope is a Skrull and the main villain)
                          Can't see it being anything other than the standard formula of a Marvel movie.

Doubt it'll be anything close to DBZ considering how nerfed everyone is but even so I expect more cases of not knowing how strong anyone is because the power scaling in this universe is garbage, leading to a low stakes laser fest which I'm sure will look pretty but will ultimately amount to one token death or nothing.

Watched The Big Lebowski for the first time the other night.
                          That is one weird ass movie. I have no idea what to think of it...I liked it? I think, no ****ing clue what was going on half the time though.
                          I understand so many memes now!

Comment

I completely disagree, if it's an artsy purely visual movie then yeah but this is a movie that was trying to tell a great story and it played out like basically all the other movies, I can't see how that isn't generic or how it's particularly riveting.
                            Good visuals don't make a movie good outright, Avatar's visuals still look pretty gorgeous today even though CGI usually ages badly but the movie at it's core is extremely basic, dull and is just another rehashed white saviour plot essentially.
                            Most movies are artsy visual movies if we have to make it like that. Just because a movie isn't a camera pointed at a bucket of blue paint (it exists), does not mean that it is not an artsy visual movie. Plot is frankly one of the worst things to ask a movie to do, they have like, three hours tops, maybe four in the older days to deliver an experience. It is far more important that the plot serves a justification to deliver the emotional, auditory, and visual experience of whatever is going on. If you wanted plot, books are all about such a thing (even then books have certain priorities to keep in mind, but there is much less to work on than plot in a book). CGI may age badly but that's only if one fails to have a coherent visual style to go with it, and Avatar does have visual style in spades, especially when you're banking on "yeah but some day, one day, in the future where we may not even be able to imagine, the movie will look bad." as a value judgement. It's not invalid necessarily but... Why would you watch a movie like that? And why not read a script? Or novelization? or listen if you prefer audiobooks.

Plot is one of the less important aspects of a work frankly, that's probably why it's so easy for cinemasins and the like to find plot holes. Let's just what many consider the greatest flim of all time, Citizen Kane. So, people wonder what his last words mean, namely "rosebud." But... The butler was not there, we did not see the butler. The entire event that movie is based around, asking what he meant by "Rosebud" is utterly impossible. The plot hole there. I realize this isn't directly related to talking about generic plots, but I think it highlights how the plot is less important than the visual experience, and this still holds up as true for a movie that is old enough to be our grandpa. That's not to say that the plot can't suck, but that only applies if it gets in the way of other things, and hell, let's use Black Panther as an example of that.

The plot is fine for the most part, but arguably, the worst part of it was
                            Spoiler Alert!
                            probably the final showdown between Killmonger and Black Panther, that the plot requires necessitates a final violent showdown between the bad guy and the good guy mano e mano. From there it's basically a fight scene that eats up time until we get to the actual climax of the film. Killmonger's death scene, in which he and T'Challa have a final talk, where Killmonger sees the sunset, something that in his attempt to get revenge on the world for leaving him, he never once even tried to experience what his father called the most amazing thing. Where Killmonger had missed the trees for the forest and suffered for that, consumed by hate and rage and vengeance. He even still holds onto it, as when T'Challa attempts to give him mercy, save his life, he instead demands, to simply bury him in the ocean, with his ancestors that knew it was better to die then live in bondage.

Honestly I'd actually have to ask which films could be considered best because of their plot, and not because of something else. Comedies are good because they are funny, dramas are good because they are dramatic, action movies are good for their action, etc. but what movie is good because of it's plot? There are only so many stories to tell, but there are many more ways to tell a story that we have not experienced. It is this which I value, how a story is told, and not so much what story is being told in specific. Again this mostly applies to film which has like very little time compared to most television to even tell a story in the first place.

As another example, here is the plot to Into the Spiderverse.

Spoiler Alert!
                            Miles Morales, a teenager who admires Spider-Man,struggles living up to the expectations of his parents, especially his father, police officer Jefferson Davis, who sees Spider-Man as a menace. After school, Miles secretly visits his uncle Aaron Davis, who brings Miles to an abandoned subway station where he can paint graffiti. While there, Miles is unknowingly bitten by a radioactive spider and, the next day, discovers it gave him spider-like abilities.

Searching for the spider, Miles returns to the station and unintentionally runs into a particle accelerator built by Wilson Fisk, who wishes to access parallel universes to find alternative versions of his wife and son who died in a car crash. Spider-Man tries disable it while fighting Fisk's enforcers, Green Goblin and Prowler. Spider-Man is gravely wounded by an explosion during the battle which kills Green Goblin. Spider-Man gives Miles, whom he previously found, a USB driveto disable the accelerator and warns that the machine could destroy the city if turned on again. Miles then watches Fisk kill Spider-Man in horror.

While attempting to master his abilities, Miles inadvertently damages the USB drive. At Spider-Man's grave, Miles meets Peter B. Parker, a depressed and worn-down version of Spider-Man from another dimension. Peter has been brought into Miles's dimension by the accelerator and needs to return home, so he reluctantly agrees to train Miles in exchange for help stealing data to create a new drive. While breaking into Kingpin's research facility, they are confronted by Fisk's chief scientist Olivia Octavius, who reveals that Peter will deteriorate and die if he stays longer in their dimension. Miles and Peter are then rescued by Gwen Stacy, another dimension-displaced heroine. Gwen, Peter and Miles find Peter's aunt, May Parker, who is sheltering dimension-displaced heroes Spider-Man Noir, Spider-Ham, and Peni Parker, who are also deteriorating. Miles offers to disable the accelerator, but is overwhelmed after being judged for his inexperience and inability to control his powers.

Miles retreats to Aaron's home, where he discovers that Aaron is Prowler. He returns to May's house, where Peni has repaired the drive; however, he is followed by Fisk, Prowler, Octavius, Scorpion and Tombstone, leading to a brawl. Miles flees May's house but is captured by Prowler, who prepares to kill him. Miles unmasks himself in front of him. Unwilling to kill Miles, Aaron is killed by Fisk. Jefferson sees Miles mourning over Aaron and concludes that Spider-Man killed him.

The Spider-People regroup with Miles in his dorm. Peter restrains Miles with his webs before heading out with the other Spider-People to face Fisk, deciding to sacrifice himself by taking Miles's place in deactivating the accelerator to ensure Mile's safety. Jefferson arrives outside his door to tell him about Aaron's death and, assuming Miles does not want to speak to him, apologizes for his mistakes. Miles then manages to control his powers, breaking free of his restraints.

Miles, with a new suit of his own, joins the other Spider-People and helps them defeat Fisk's enforcers before activating the USB drive and sending them home. Fisk and Miles fight throughout the accelerator, attracting Jefferson's attention. Jefferson realizes that Spider-Man is not the enemy and encourages him, giving Miles the motivation to defeat Fisk and throw him at the kill switch, destroying the accelerator. The authorities arrest Fisk and his enforcers and Jefferson recognizes Spider-Man as a hero. Miles embraces the responsibilities of his new life. Later, Gwen finds a way to contact Miles across dimensions.

In a post-credits scene, in another dimension, Miguel O'Hara's assistant, Lyla, informs him of the crisis and gives him dimension-hopping technology. He decides to "go back to the beginning", and ends up arguing with that universe's Spider-Man.

Plot on it's own does nothing, frankly you usually figure it out, especially these days, just from trailers. This is because the plot ultimately doesn't matter outside of being a mechanism to allow the movie to do it's thing. That's how I view it at any rate, and prizing plot above the very building blocks of film just seems very odd to me.
                            Last edited by Tinny; 08-02-2019, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Speaking of Black Panther, I'm wondering to this day what the point of Martin Freeman's character was. I think they were trying to turn him into the new Coulson or something.

Comment

I found him cute if that helps. Overall though, i admittedly can't remember precisely how he was important to the movie, though this conversation does have me watching Black Panther again lol, so I might be able to answer about two hours lol

Comment

Working...
                                X