Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.
Please register if you would like to take part.

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Discussions - Movies & TV

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darker View Post
    Same thing happened in the previous one. Heck he was doing better against Doomsday than any of the other Leaguers.
    Yeah it's a bit silly.

I wish Warner Brothers could take the good people from the cartoon team and the good people from the DCEU team and make them work together.
    DCEU handles Batman pretty well, he feels useful but not overpowered.
    But the story and whatnot of the cartoons flows way better, good God.

Like...why couldn't Justice League have been something like this?? Dammit.

Comment

Still on the MK cartoon.

Tbh, not as bad as people make it out to be in some cases, there are actual attempts of character development, like Sonya and Stryker bonding over the fact that the two have seen a lot and are starting to get tired of fighting. Pretty powerful stuff.
      Bear?

The King of Bears!

Comment

I've been catching up with some the Netflix Marvel stuff now that it's about to end and the third season of Daredevil was... really, really good, actually. Also rewatched some bits of the first season and that wasn't too bad, either (better than I remembered).

And then there's this new season of The Punisher which is just comically bad. Even that terrible War Zone movie would give it a run for its money.

Comment

We're about 3 episodes in to Punisher S2, it's...okay. Like...just okay so far. The action is pretty good and Jon Bernthal is awesome as always but plot wise it's hard to give a **** about anything.
          Doesn't help that a series that already had a weak selection of characters had to ditch some of them already.

Such a shame Punisher can't see true justice.
          Oh God, can you even imagine MCU Punisher?
          They call me Punisher but really I only like using Friend Bullets, they do sting but they don't hurt.

Comment

I think the third episode was the strongest of the season. The Rio Bravo gimmick worked pretty well, all things considered.

MCU Punisher would be like in the 90s Spider-Man cartoon where he appeared a couple times and just shot non-lethal energy blasts from generic sci-fi guns.

Comment

Or some kind of tear gas.
              http://familyresearched.co.uk/

Comment

I forgot about this cover, I almost wanted to make a mini-rant about it

It's a rather generic but effective horror cover, with a fittingly big knife for Jason... The issue is that his mask is that of Part VIII, not VII. The girl in the knife's reflection is also from Part VIII, I believe, and she's not killed with a knife.

Just randomly decided to talk about this, y'all
                Bear?

The King of Bears!

Comment

Keep hearing news about the X-Men's inevitable introduction into the Disney-verse, and dreading how bad a MCU X-Men movie will be. Most of the best X-Men stories are either downright miserable or very emotionally charged, including the ones that carry an optimistic message. There are many good lighthearted or adventurous X-stories, sure, and the flexibility of old comic book characters is their biggest strength, but I just can't picture Kevin Feige helming a good X-Men franchise. Although these days I can't really picture Kevin Feige doing anything good at all, so there's that. And there's the very thorny issue of just how reprehensible Disney's business practices leading to all of this have been, and just how negatively it'll impact the movie industry as a whole, going much further than just cape movies.

On another note, I've rewatched the recent Halloween movie and liked it slightly less this time around. It's good, but too calculated and eager to please fans of the original '78 movie. It takes all of the necessary steps not to be like the Rob Zombie remakes and speaks entirely in the language of the original film... which is a masterpiece, but still, this new one almost felt like a (very, very, very well-made) fan-film sequel at times. As I said, still good (infinitely superior to the Rob Zombie movies), but perhaps played it a bit too safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Topographic Oceans View Post
                    Keep hearing news about the X-Men's inevitable introduction into the Disney-verse, and dreading how bad a MCU X-Men movie will be. Most of the best X-Men stories are either downright miserable or very emotionally charged, including the ones that carry an optimistic message. There are many good lighthearted or adventurous X-stories, sure, and the flexibility of old comic book characters is their biggest strength, but I just can't picture Kevin Feige helming a good X-Men franchise. Although these days I can't really picture Kevin Feige doing anything good at all, so there's that. And there's the very thorny issue of just how reprehensible Disney's business practices leading to all of this have been, and just how negatively it'll impact the movie industry as a whole, going much further than just cape movies.
                    What a very negative outlook to have on something that hasn't happened yet. If this is your attitude towards Disney these days then of course anything they release is gonna be bad in your eyes.

MCU hasn't ever been bad, in fact some of the movies are actually super enjoyable. The only 'negative' thing I can say is that it can seem a bit repetitive at times.

Comment

But that's part of what makes the MCU kind of terrible at this point.
                      I don't even want to go see Captain Marvel because it just looks like the exact same thing I've seen 20 times already.

Now Shazam! will probably have similar tropes but it at least looks pretty fun and the concept of it basically being Big but with a superhero is pretty enjoyable alone.
                      Hero with powers and a mysterious past who slowly figures out who they are and unleashes their full potential against an enemy that might not be what they think it is sounds incredibly dull and if Captain Marvel isn't completely summarised by that I'll be shocked.

They're more than a bit repetitive at this point.
                      Which I find pretty funny because Aquaman made over a billion dollars and thousands of people have been like "OMG but it sucked!" and ranted all about why it's terrible and how the MCU movies are all better...when it played out in basically the same way as all of them.
                      Like Aquaman and Black Panther are pretty much the same thing but Aquaman is said to not deserve the money it earned because it's a generic comic book movie...when Black Panther is also a generic comic book movie but did even less to separate itself from that.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmeth View Post

What a very negative outlook to have on something that hasn't happened yet. If this is your attitude towards Disney these days then of course anything they release is gonna be bad in your eyes.

MCU hasn't ever been bad, in fact some of the movies are actually super enjoyable. The only 'negative' thing I can say is that it can seem a bit repetitive at times.
                        Well, you're right. It is a negative outlook. Having low expectations for something is just as valid as having high expectations.

I think the problem with the MCU is less repetitiveness and more plain blandness. Which is obviously not an opinion shared by most people since these movies are really, really, really popular.

Comment

Black Panther... Is not generic? What's even the standard for being generic here? If we're talking super hero fare it has a ton of things that set it apart like casting, music, cinematography, story, the focus on the villain if we're sticking to the MCU era, lots of things set it apart, the only thing that would arguably be outright generic is probably the final fight between Killmonger and Black Panther, but even that gets cut off given the ending with Killmonger's speech.

Also admittedly, I've been reading Captain Marvel a lot, many comics here and there so I'm actually pretty excited about the new movie and am hoping it's good. I think the character herself and the villains she's facing have a lot of potential for both really terrifying scenarios and hilarity (you can go full "The Thing" with how you can't trust anyone, and on the other end if you find out a skrull is an old lady... Well there's a good reason the trailers highlighted it. Might also get a bit more proper looking high stakes fights given that Captain Marvel has been a big hitter for a while and seems to be a space focused thing.

AlsoCaptainMarvelalsoopensthedoorforaMs.Marvelmovi edownthelineandIamallinonaMs.MarvelmoviewithKamala Khan.

Shazam...This is by far the most shallow reason I've had to have low expectations but the movie just looks awful. Not like, it seems like it'll be bad, I mean it just plain looks bad. The costume of Shazam especially is probably one of the worst I've seen and I'm hoping they do something to change the look.

Signature and Avatar by NinjaSushi

Comment

Sheesh, and they say I'm negative! lol
                            Bear?

The King of Bears!

Comment

It took Disney ten years to release a Marvel movie with a black lead and nearly eleven for a movie with a female lead. Given that trend, you'd probably need to wait a century for them to make one with starring a Muslim character (Kamala, in this case).

Comment

If they'd done the Avengers movies in order, per hero, we would've had a Black Panther movie much earlier (if we exclude Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, and maybe Swordsman and Hercules). Especially if they stopped wasting their time with sequels that add next to nothing.

It only took 17 episodes for Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes to include T'Challa, and there, they did the character justice. Can't say I trust Disney myself after they cancelled EMH (and Spectacular Spider-Man as well, no less).
                                Bear?

The King of Bears!

Comment

Working...
                                X