Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Discussions - Movies & TV

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm currently watching Band of Brothers. I think I've seen bits and pieces of it over the years on TV but I've never sat down to watch it. It's pretty cool.

And being almost 20 years old it's super fucking weird seeing a bunch of actors I'm used to now so young, such as Simon Pegg, James McAvoy and David Schwimmer. There's also Neal McDonough who looks THE SAME AS ALWAYS, seriously that dude is a vampire.
    There's also the guy who plays Abraham in TWD but without ginger hair and a beard, it's freaking surreal. He looks like he could be Sean Astin's brother.

I've been wanting a good war movie for a while but one that features a lot of battles and such, most of them these days seem to be more about characters(or, actual people) so it's been pretty great to have a 10 part mini-series.
    As a bonus it's also getting a follow up with Stephen Spielberg and Tom Hanks.

Comment

• Stopping by to say that HBO's Watchmen has been pretty damn great so far. All those years of me defending Damon Lindelof and LOST on the internet have finally paid off.

And the Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross score is easily the best TV music in years.

It'll never stop being funny that both DC Comics and HBO have sequels to Watchmen going on simultaneously (Doomsday Clock in DC's case -- yeah, it's STILL not over) and HBO's is infinitely better and more interesting than DC's.

Comment

• I need to rewatch the Watchmen movie and then get on Watchmen the show.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topographic Oceans View Post
          Stopping by to say that HBO's Watchmen has been pretty damn great so far. All those years of me defending Damon Lindelof and LOST on the internet have finally paid off.

And the Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross score is easily the best TV music in years.

It'll never stop being funny that both DC Comics and HBO have sequels to Watchmen going on simultaneously (Doomsday Clock in DC's case -- yeah, it's STILL not over) and HBO's is infinitely better and more interesting than DC's.
          I think it's a little bit slow overall but damn it is good, especially that soundtrack. How The West Was Really Won is my favourite so far, the one that plays during the carnival scene.

Lube Man is the greatest hero of our time.

But yeah, slow. Like that black and white episode, I can get why people raved about it but I felt like it took a whole hour to give us information that you could really easily pick up like 10 minutes in to what was going on. I was just kinda sitting wondering when it was going to end to be honest.
          I felt like it should have been a half hour flashback and then the rest of the episode could have ended when Angela found that thing. (intentionally vague obviously) That would have flowed nicely.

Mr. Robot season 4 I'm preferring at the minute but to be fair it has 3 whole other seasons of material.

Comment

• Originally posted by Emmeth View Post
            I need to rewatch the Watchmen movie and then get on Watchmen the show.
            The comic is also a must-read

Comment

• That's a fair complaint.

Personally, I love the slow burn. I've learned to appreciate that kind of pacing in shows where the "slowness" feels like a deliberate creative choice instead of just padding. And it feels entirely deliberate in Watchmen.

LOST's another example. I'm increasingly convinced that those slower bits in the third season where they're just hanging out at the beach having a good time are some of the best in the entire show. I love the entire run but even I'll admit that something was lost (har har) after season 3, with the lower episode count meaning they had to pack every episode with "plot."

I'm way behind on Mr. Robot (haven't even started season 3 yet). I'll get around to it soon though.

Speaking of long slow things, I saw The Irishman. Fantastic movie imo.

Comment

• Watchmen is definitely on my watchlist, but for now I'm binging 24 again since it's been a few years.

Comment

• Anyone watched The Man In High Castle? Tempted to start it soon. It's based on a Philip K. Dick book so good chance it's great, the guy who wrote Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?(which I need to get back to reading dammit)

Personally, I love the slow burn. I've learned to appreciate that kind of pacing in shows where the "slowness" feels like a deliberate creative choice instead of just padding. And it feels entirely deliberate in Watchmen.
                  Yeeeah if I had to choose I certainly prefer that to SOMETHING DRAMATIC NEEDS TO HAPPEN EVERY FIVE MINUTES OR PEOPLE WILL STOP WATCHING, EXPLOSIONS WINSTON, EXPLOSIONS!
                  But I ain't getting any older, there's a fine line there where a slow burn can feel like it just wasted your time.
                  Like every single episode of Riverdale.

And to some extent, The Mandalorian.
                  I think if it had hour long episodes I'd have dropped it already, it really needs to get to the point already or for the creators to just mess with time and make it a video game instead because that'd be pretty sweet.

Comment

• Mandalorian so far has been so... nothing. Completely edgeless, no real creative vision at play, just more Disney Content for you to consume, designed for maximum brand engagement. None of which is surprising. Maybe if I were a Star Wars fan, I'd be more into it.

And yeah, I think I would've liked this a lot better if it were a video-game instead. Like, Mandalorian himself is basically a video-game character. I'm not sure if a guy who's basically a big action figure, masked and mostly unresponsive, really works as the protagonist of your live-action adventure show. But he'd work as the silent player character.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Anyone watched The Man In High Castle? Tempted to start it soon. It's based on a Philip K. Dick book so good chance it's great, the guy who wrote Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?(which I need to get back to reading dammit)
                      Yeah, I've watched all of it. It's pretty entertaining although it falters a bit in season 2 and especially season 3. I'd say the end is worth it though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topographic Oceans View Post
                        Mandalorian so far has been so... nothing. Completely edgeless, no real creative vision at play, just more Disney Content for you to consume, designed for maximum brand engagement. None of which is surprising. Maybe if I were a Star Wars fan, I'd be more into it.

And yeah, I think I would've liked this a lot better if it were a video-game instead. Like, Mandalorian himself is basically a video-game character. I'm not sure if a guy who's basically a big action figure, masked and mostly unresponsive, really works as the protagonist of your live-action adventure show. But he'd work as the silent player character.
                        Apparently it's the most watched TV show right now too, even though it's Disney and they own most of the entertainment industry I find that surprising since it's so...okay.
                        But dang Baby "Yoda" is cute so that makes it great TV.

Yeah, I've watched all of it. It's pretty entertaining although it falters a bit in season 2 and especially season 3. I'd say the end is worth it though.
                        Thinking about it...I can't think of many, if any shows where the second season was much better than the first if at all. Wonder why it's hard to retain good momentum.

I quite like alternate history things anyway so hopefully I like it, if nothing else it'll be easy to binge on Prime.

Comment

• I remember picking up a stack of PKD novels like four or five years ago now, binge-reading all of them and feeling jittery and paranoid for weeks afterwards. Formative stuff. Total Recall (which greatly expands upon a short story of his) is still the best adaptation of his work in my eyes. I enjoyed season 1 of Man in the High Castle when it first came out. Should probably give it another go. Not sure if I'd like it any more or less now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Thinking about it...I can't think of many, if any shows where the second season was much better than the first if at all. Wonder why it's hard to retain good momentum.

I quite like alternate history things anyway so hopefully I like it, if nothing else it'll be easy to binge on Prime.
                            It's a bit strange that, but I do have a few examples:

Breaking Bad, Dexter, 24. Although they have various degree of success, the second season was, at least arguably, better than the first.

Comment

• Watched the CW Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover.

Tom Ellis cameod as Lucifer from the Fox/Netflix show, seemingly the only character in the Arrow multiverse who can pronounce "Constantine" correctly.

The entire thing's basically a Syfy Original Movie with popular DC characters in it.
                              Last edited by Topographic Oceans; 12-12-2019, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• Haven't watched it yet but I appreciate the heck out of them for even trying to do Crisis. As crappy as the CW shows can be at least they embrace fun, finally it seems like the DCEU is learning that but it could still be too late.

Wonder Woman 1984 looks decent but...yeah really just that and no more.

Urgh...just remembered Birds of Prey exists. Urghhhhh. Please let The Batman be good.

At this point their only somewhat near movie I'm really invested in is Black Adam, it's nice to see something that hasn't hit the big screen properly before.

It's a bit strange that, but I do have a few examples:
                                Breaking Bad, Dexter, 24. Although they have various degree of success, the second season was, at least arguably, better than the first.
                                Only seen Dexter out of those so can't really comment, wonder why it seems to be a trend though it's almost like so much is put in to a successful first season that they just forget to have something interesting left over for after and just hope it's going to retain views, which I'm confident few shows tend to do.

I'm glad my initial confidence in The Witcher wasn't misplaced, it seems more and more awesome the more is revealed. Here's hoping all the good stuff people have been raving about from the trailers isn't just the first and last episode, with incredibly boring crap in between.

Comment

Working...
                                X