Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Discussions - Movies & TV

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw the new new Godzilla. Fairly enjoyable.

Skull Island is still the best movie in this Godzilla-verse by far. It wasn't exactly great but much better than I expected going in. Once the pretense of "plot" was dropped and the movie turned into a ride through the titular island, with its strange inhabitants and fauna (some of the best CGI creations in recent memory), it became something truly strange and memorable (for the standards of a big studio release). It had a psychedelic quality which you don't normally see in major blockbusters these days and that at times reminded me of some of the weirder Toho kaiju movies. This new Godzilla doesn't quite reach those heights but it's worth watching if you like this stuff.
    Last edited by Topographic Oceans; 03-06-2019, 02:28 AM.

Comment

• There isn't really anything I want to spend my money to watch right now. Hopefully Spider-man is decent.
      http://familyresearched.co.uk/

Comment

• Originally posted by Topographic Oceans View Post
        This new Godzilla doesn't quite reach those heights but it's worth watching if you like this stuff.
        No pun intended, seeing how they deliberately made MonsterVerse's Godzilla even bigger than he was last time to tower over Shin Godzilla who was taller than the previous Godzilla from the 2014 movie.

Luckily they haven't gone all out and made the kaiju as big as they are in the anime trilogy, they're like friggin' mountains over there...

“If something can bite you, that's reason enough to fear it.”

Comment

• People online are still earnestly rooting for Avengers Endgame to become the highest grossing movie ever and it's kinda terrible. Makes it look like the internet is filled with Disney shareholders (Avatar, which is currently at first place, is also a Disney property). Liking the characters and the fiction is one thing; wanting a giant conglamerate corporation to make even more money, celebrating their massive profit margins as if they were a personal win, is downright dystopian (I'm only mildly exaggerating here).

Comment

• It's already broken quite a few records, it doesn't need to break any more.

Not like those mean much here, but for the people that want it to be top, it appears to matter quite a bit.

Comment

• Honestly yeah, it's not much of an exaggeration to call it dystopian. I like the marvel movies fine, but this just shows us humanizing a property, or worse yet a corporation over real people like the VFX artists that basically create the entirety of these movies in the first place.

Hell what's even so important about topping the box office? The money it makes only really matters in it justifying a sequel and bigger budget (which I think it's safe to say is covered with the marvel movies).

Honestly it kind of reminds me of the console wars thinking about it...
              Last edited by Tinny; 05-06-2019, 01:37 PM.

Signature and Avatar by NinjaSushi

Comment

• MCU movies, Tinny. MCU movies. Gotta add that difference. You don't want to make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Anyway, just watched Detective Pikachu, it was alright, though it just made me want to watch the first animated movie, given the many similarities.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darker View Post
                  You don't want to make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.
                  Oh yes, a reference to this iconic character:

Comment

• I mean I'm fine with people wanting these movies to be the highest grossing.

I'm not fine with people trying to say everyone in them needs an Oscar just because they're popular, I'm glad the awards haven't sunk that low. The only person who even could slightly deserve one is RDJ but even then...ehhhh not really though? Maybe if there are no other good movies this year.

All in all, I would prefer Endgame be higher rated than Avatar though because Avatar is terrible and it'd be nice if cynical companies didn't always have it up there to make them think "Everyone loves CGI! Do more CGI!"
                    I still don't even get why Avatar was so big, the visual technology was certainly cool at the time but not sure why that made people go wild.

Comment

• I consider Black Panther even competing for an Oscar good enough, would've been amazing if Black Panther won (or frankly if anything aside from the Green Book won). As for grossing like... I consider it a bit of the opposite in a way, Cameron's baby is the Avatar and it's planned sequels (at least more so than the MCU is aside from I guess Gunn and Guardians of the Galaxy maybe). I think it's a lot less cynical overall, even if it's weighed down by the fact that it's still basically dances with wolves but with blue aliens.

Signature and Avatar by NinjaSushi

Comment

• Originally posted by Topographic Oceans View Post

Oh yes, a reference to this iconic character:

Now I'm gonna smash you.

Comment

• Swamp Thing is already cancelled, lol

Something to do with budget and the location they were shooting.

This is what happens when companies want to make their own Netflix overnight. I loved Doom Patrol but I hope those exclusive streaming services start to flop; including Netflix. The ideal would be a decent aggregate service instead of this new segmented model focused on exclusive content.

Comment

• Yeah I came here to mention that, fucking annoying finding that out right after you watch the first episode and enjoy it a lot, God dammit.

The CGI was pretty great in it, that one part was very reminiscent(thought not as terrifying) of The Thing which is rad but yeah I guess they don't like how expensive that is.
                            I hope they just get eaten by Amazon or something, at least Amazon series can justify pretty much any budget and Amazon Prime is a worthwhile deal for just about anyone since it's not just TV and movies. Better than being sanitised by Disney anyway.

Fricking frick!

With all this good gay stuff going on in media, I hope we get a movie or TV series based on Midnighter at some point. He seems pretty awesome. Not sure who, if anyone would own film rights for that though because if it'd be Warner Brothers...nah.

Comment

• Midnighter's fantastic but works better as a team player (his iconic role is as a member of The Authority) than a solo character. And yeah, he's a DC property so Warner would be in charge of any adaptation featuring him or the other WildStorm characters.

On other news: Agents of Shield is currently trying its hand at some cheap comedy and it's pretty damn terrible. Should've stuck to the tense and claustrophobic feel of season 5 and the second half of season 4, I was enjoying that. It wasn't perfect by any means but it felt like the right tone for the show.

Also, Jessica Jones Season 3 is still coming out, huh? I had completely forgotten that they had already filmed that.

Comment

• Yeah a TV show for The Authority would be pretty cool, nice and edgy for DC stuff. I could see them doing it for pride points but it'd probably be expensive what with all those different powers.

Makes you wonder how the CW affords all their stuff but Warner Brothers can't.

Comment

Working...
                                X