Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Discussions - Movies & TV

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might as well play Ozymandias if they're not gonna let him play Scar again

Such BS...

“If something can bite you, that's reason enough to fear it.”

Comment

• Watched Akira for the first time last night.

I liked it but I'm not sure why it's such a phenomenon, the animation is pretty great I guess but other than that it was hard to follow what the hell was going on, which I guess is a lot of the appeal to some but meh. The fighting at the end felt super cheesy and out of place, which is fitting since the last half of the film is heavily fillerized. Flicked through a good portion of the manga and it certainly seems more coherent.

But yeah, not sure why exactly it's that highly rated, it's a good watch but not something I'll ever watch again.

Comment

• I watched that a few years back and I didn't quite get why it's so beloved either. People like to exaggerate the hype, I think... Even though I'm the kind of guy that judges things putting the time they were made into account, and I understand that reasoning with Akira because it was indeed gorgeous... Come on, Heavy Metal came out 7 years before it... Why did that one get stuck in cult classic status? It's because it's canadian, isn't it...

Comment

• I never fully understood the sentiments given to Akira either. As a work of art I suppose it's impressive but I don't know if anything about it could be called revolutionary. Certainly not the plot
          http://familyresearched.co.uk/

Comment

• I guess they're not letting Rambo rest either

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambo_V:_Last_Blood

Comment

• Apparently the new Godzilla sucks.

Comment

• I'll see it this weekend. Looks okay to me; most of the negative criticism I've seen so far can be boiled down to "the plot is bad" which... well, obviously. Plot is clearly the least of the movie's concerns.

Comment

• Yeah I don't really get it, the audience score seems pretty high too.

If you went in to a Godzilla movie looking for interesting human characters then...yeah not sure what to say to that.
                  Literally the biggest complaint about the first one was that there wasn't enough monster action, so they seem to have ramped that up to 11 and left the human element untouched, still boring.

But somehow that makes the movie worse...? I don't get it, it's literally what people asked for.

Also the plot about a giant radiation eating dinosaur fighting a giant light beam shooting moth fighting a giant pterodactyl looking thing with lava for blood fighting a giant golden three headed dragon doesn't make sense.
                  Imagine my shock.

Started watching Chernobyl.

Was a bit apprehensive that it might be another Birdbox situation where OMG IT'S SO GOOD THIS IS THE BEST THING EVERYONE WATCH IT and like...it's just okay?

But shit, this is some good TV. Even though most people have somewhat of a grasp on what happened it's so God damn tense and brilliant. Even as someone with a general disdain for humanity and a lack of care for what happens to people I'm always sitting like "Holy shit, what's going to happen to them!?"
                  Die, probably but still, great stuff.

I never knew it was quite that dangerous in scale, damn frightening.

Comment

• Oh yeah, radiation travelled to over half of Europe and to this day people are seeing the effects of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Yeah I don't really get it, the audience score seems pretty high too.

If you went in to a Godzilla movie looking for interesting human characters then...yeah not sure what to say to that.
                      Literally the biggest complaint about the first one was that there wasn't enough monster action, so they seem to have ramped that up to 11 and left the human element untouched, still boring
                      I mean, I feel like that’s a major problem when the human element still takes up a majority of the film. Look at how Skull Island did it. You gotta take into account us Kaiju fans aren’t the same as GA. We’re willing to go through the boring as sin human elements to see some kaiju action. But that’s not the case for most people.

i feel like Skull Island was able to strike that balance between good monster action, and at least an entertaining human cast (I think Sam Jackson definitely helped with that aspect though)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dbzk1999 View Post
                        I mean, I feel like that’s a major problem when the human element still takes up a majority of the film. Look at how Skull Island did it. You gotta take into account us Kaiju fans aren’t the same as GA. We’re willing to go through the boring as sin human elements to see some kaiju action. But that’s not the case for most people.

i feel like Skull Island was able to strike that balance between good monster action, and at least an entertaining human cast (I think Sam Jackson definitely helped with that aspect though)
                        It's a problem yeah but people are acting like they didn't get what they specifically cared about here, that the movie is somehow worse than the first one despite correcting the biggest problem people had with it.

Watched Good Omens episode 1, great stuff so far. A lot more coherent than American Gods anyway so I'm sure we'll thoroughly enjoy it. David Tenant makes anything 10x better as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve View Post

It's a problem yeah but people are acting like they didn't get what they specifically cared about here, that the movie is somehow worse than the first one despite correcting the biggest problem people had with it.
                          I honestly think the biggest problem people had with it was the completely and utterly boring human parts, which is stil a relevant thing to complain about when it’s a majority of the film, that’s what makes it stick out so much, especially when the human part is so boring. I’d put money on it that it’s giving people this type of impression as they leave “movie was good, those monsters fighting was pretty great, shame that it didn’t really kick off till near the end of the movie and we had to deal with these crappy human parts”. It probably also didn’t help that in regards to the fight scenes, it always felt like it seemed to cut away to more human scenes before it could really get into it.

Again in regards to Kong, just look at the reception that film got compared to both 2014 Godzilla and KoTM. Like, Skull Island may not have been the best thing ever, but I can say that I was pretty darn entertained all throughout the movie, and that the human cast didn’t stick out as boring pieces of stale bread
                          Last edited by Dbzk1999; 02-06-2019, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• Kong: Skull Island was definitely better than the 2014 Godzilla movie but it could've been better. Samuel Jackson and John Goodman are both great actors and they were the heart of the movie alongside John C. Reilly, though Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson couldn't have been more uninteresting. Was Brie Larson just there so we could have the usual beauty and the beast angle with Kong? Because this was the most poorly executed instance of that, in any King Kong movie. The movie would've probably been more interested if we'd focused on John C. Reilly's character and his friendship with that japanese soldier he ended up befriending, because who doesn't wanna know how that friendship happened? These need to be more memorable because I remember more the actors than the actual characters, and that's not good.

The 70s Vietnam War setting had more charm than the gritty and overly dark mood of the Legendary Godzilla movie, you could watch sweet FA during the final fight and it cut away when it got good. People say it was doing the JAWS thing but no, don't compare that crap to JAWS. That blockbuster and cinema classic built suspense wonderfully, that did not, in the slightest. Many of the Toho Godzilla movies have been better at that ffs.

Too bad the movie also suffered from generic and boring kaiju for the main kaiju to fight. At least the Skullcrawlers are a little better than the MUTOs for being based off a creature from the original 1933 King Kong movie.

Comment

• Eh, I thought the characters in Skull Island were kinda lame, the only memorable one was John C. Reilly's. Jacksons character secondary but only really because of who he is as an actor, his character was an insufferable douche. The rest were fodder and...oh yeah Tom Hiddleston was in it. Couldn't even remember John Goodman being in it either.

I don't think the human element to Skull Island was really any better, it was just that Skull Island is great in of itself. It's always going to be more interesting than people in cities and whatnot screaming, it's a terrifying and beautiful place.

So Robert Pattinson is confirmed as the new Batman. I definitely wouldn't pick him but I haven't seen him in anything other than Harry Potter and Twilight, I hear good praise for him in other movies.
                              Not sure why most people seem to be angry as if he's going to be playing Edward Cullen playing Bruce Wayne, it's pretty stupid.
                              Acting is a thing.

Comment

• Oh I'm not saying the characters were good, besides Kong himself, I'm just saying they were portrayed well. The actors carried the movie and that sucks, too many movies do that these days.

Remember how with movies like The Lion King you can still remember the characters in spite of the big celebrities behind them? Or any other movies that were heavily advertised because of the actors, like many of DreamWorks' flicks, like Kung Fu Panda or Shrek?

Comment

Working...
                                X