Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoiler Alert!
    Man, really good episode. The suspense in the shadows of who would be the best ruler was great. There's certainly no way Daenerys will get the throne, she certainly doesn't deserve it either. But I don't think there's any chance Jon will get it either. 2 episodes left, we'll see.

Comment

Spoiler Alert!
      Decent episode, but man, I was disappointed with how they handled a lot of scenes. They fired 3 bolts and hit every one for the first dragon, and then fired 20 more at a closer target and missed every single one. Plus, not sure how Dany missed a fleet of ships from the air. Then the whole Kings Landing scene where Cersei would have been well within her character to just wipe everyone out and save herself a lot of trouble. Or Missandei could have made an attempt to push/grab/launch herself at Cersei to knock her off the edge. Idk, a lot of shit like that just leaves me feeling disappointed in the writing.

Comment

Spoiler Alert!
        Yeahhh the dragons seem kinda stupid...

Like I know suddenly getting stabbed in the damn chest is probably pretty shocking but they seem woefully stupid, wasn't it heavily implied they were meant to be intelligent? It didn't even try to dive down or anything.
        It's a bit weird seeing them get wrecked so easily.

I was hoping they'd give it a bit of time and then Drogon would be ready for battle with some cool ass DRAGON ARMOUR because why the hell not? As it stands now Drogon should easily be killed but for the convenience of the plot he won't be until later, so that's kinda dumb.

As for Cersei, can we even be sure she wants to live? All her children have died, as though she were cursed. I feel like she doesn't really care and just wants to curse the world along with her essentially. She probably knows it will all end in disaster anyway. And logically speaking would they really let her live? Very much doubt it, far too many people want to kill her and her being pregnant doesn't matter to many of them.

Also, fuck Jaime this episode man. You can't just steal Brienne from my boy like that and then abandon her!

This episode made me feel terribly uncomfortable and I love it. Couldn't care less about Missandei dying since her and Gray Worm basically shouted it from the rooftops already but damn I was feeling like Tyrion was about to gain some extra holes, Cersei can't freaking wait can she.

I understand Dany is in a tough situation right now, but could she even be a bigger shit about it? Why does it have to be such a dichotomy between King or Queen when they should make King and Queen be of equal standing, compromises being made on both sides.
        Bugs me that she fails to take a step back and consider "Being a bit mad aren't I, the fate of the world matters a bit more huh"

Lastly it must be said, almost every declaration of love in this show feels incredibly hollow. I'm not sure if Gendry's confession was meant to be funny or if he genuinely meant it.

Holy shit I did it again lol two times now I've forgot to close spoiler tags...I do hope nobody happened to load the page before I edited it.

Comment

Biggest spoiler of last episode:
          Spoiler Alert!
          Starbucks

On Game of Thrones in general I tonight just got my mom into the series. Sucks that she knows Jon is still alive though since she watched part of the last episode last night while I was watching it. Same goes for advertisements and such that show him. Impossible to avoid some things.
          Last edited by Greeny; 07-05-2019, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greeny View Post
            Biggest spoiler of last episode:
            Spoiler Alert!
            Starbucks

On Game of Thrones in general I tonight just got my mom into the series. Sucks that she knows Jon is still alive though since she watched part of the last episode last night while I was watching it. Same goes for advertisements and such that show him. Impossible to avoid some things.
            I must admit I barely paid any attention to that scene because I was just sitting like WHERE IS IT, I MUST SEE IT.

That was hilarious though, I'm glad it's treated as a funny thing by everyone. A silly mistake but entirely inconsequential.

Comment

Spoiler Alert!
              Well freaking crap. What a dark episode. Daenerys is insane and evil, she needs to go. Jon and Tyrion as well as others were horrified at what she did. There's no way they're going to sit idly by now. They'll definitely regret letting Varys died (who I'm upset about dying but knew it would happen). Jaime killing the piece of crap Euron was great. But Jaime dying was not so great. Cersei's moments before death were definitely sad. So much for "the little brother" prophecy. I expect she'll die in a much different fashion in the books. Not sure how Daenerys was able to easily destroy those bows in this episode yet get a dragon killed and almost get another one killed by less arrows, but whatever. Finally got to see the Hound fight against the Mountain. I figured Sandor would die, but it was hard to see and he will be missed. Man, three of my favorite characters died in that episode. There's no way Daenerys can go through this series without dying. I'm not so sure she'll end up being pregnant with a baby of Jon's. But I feel it's too predictable for Jon to kill her and be Azor Ahai. I'm not so sure there'll even be an Azor Ahai. Daenerys or Jon or both of them will die in the next episode. There's no way they'll both get out of this alive. But after that episode, I'll be shocked and upset if Daenerys lives. This series has been so tragic that it needs a not so tragic ending. But that episode is the beginning of the end and man, that was tragic. I don't think the next episode will be much different.

Comment

Interestingly, unlike with 24 for me, I am actually glad it's ending soon. I'm just hoping for a satisfying end.

Comment

I've seen that lots of people aren't happy with this episode, it's super divisive...I really don't get why. Basically every shoe fit if you ask me.

Spoiler Alert!
                  Were people not expecting Dany to go bad? Because she's been dropping hints of that for a looooong time, I have no idea why anyone could feel secure in her being the good guy. Game of Thrones don't work like that, it's never just good vs evil. Jon is pretty much the only major player who's remained good in the entire series.

Great episode anyway, Cleganebowl was a bit underwhelming but still good. Holy fuck he was still pretty much fine after being stabbed through the God damn head?
                  Qyburn's death was hilarious, honestly.

Apparently people have moaned they "humanized" Cersei but like...she is a human? It's not like she has no emotions or anything, she's an evil as fuck woman but that doesn't mean she'd be happy about dying. No idea what the problem is with that one.

As for Arya...Daenery's eyes are somewhat green and she didn't get to kill Cersei. That's going to be satisfying.
                  Kinda didn't like the idea of Arya killing a pregnant woman so here's hoping Dany isn't, what a massive bitch.

Drogon was OP as predicted but to be fair, she did use the glare from the sun to her advantage but Christ, they never prepared for that? Again to be fair the first dragon they killed was by surprise so it's trajectory would have been easier to judge...but Drogon doesn't get hit once.
                  Wonder how tf they kill Daenerys with Drogon around.
                  Guess some shit might happen with Jon that changes his allegiance. Idk, that's a tough one. They can kill her easy but then Drogon would just go crazy and burn everyone else.
                  Actually maybe he tries to burn Jon but fire doesn't kill him. That'd be a cool scene "Dracarys!...hm!? NANI WHY SEXY MAN NOT BURN...OH...Jesus! Fire doesn't burn but cold steel sure as shit hurts, farewell..."
                  My pick for Dany's final words.

Without watching previews no idea what could happen next episode.
                  The only reasonable conclusion is that Drogon burns something so hard he opens a portal to another dimension and out pops a politician that introduces them all to the God given glory that is democracy!

Comment

Spoiler Alert!
                    Yeah I could definitely see Arya killing Daenerys. She'll definitely want to after that episode. There are two things: Daenerys' eyes are violet in the books, but there's no one left in the series she could kill who has green eyes. The show has definitely gone its own route, the end result might be what Martin wants though, but since Daenerys in the show does have green eyes it may be her Arya kills. It seems they forgot about one prophecy, but they have to use the "eyes" prophecy since it was mentioned just two episodes ago. There is a thing I saw online that Arya is Jon's metaphorical Lightbringer and that when he gave her Needle he "killed" her innocence. Her killing the Night King definitely could work for that and especially so if she kills Daenerys. She wouldn't take the Iron Throne, she wants to see Jon on it. I'm just not sure if I can see Jon killing Daenerys. But I sure can see her making an attempt to kill him. The next episode is going to be absolutely crazy.

Comment

Spoiler Alert!
                      Yeah I kinda just hope Jon sits on the throne in the end, I really don't see the benefit to some sort of hamfisted twist just for the sake of killing him off. The dude deserves it.
                      Apart from Tyrion or a future character(like Dany and Jon's kid) there's basically nobody suitable anyway.

Plus The North is practically all they have left as a stronghold/capital now so it makes most sense for Jon to rule, though guess Sansa would fit the bill if he dies.
                      Eh, I just don't think it'd be at all satisfying to see him die, does it really have to be needlessly grim? Daenerys dying is still a bittersweet ending since she was such a big and well loved character.
                      It'd be much better if it was tied up neatly rather than "Oh, well this person might be shit too"

Anyway yeah I can see Dany getting Drogon to burn Jon but it doesn't work and while everyone is in shock Arya needles her in the back, again though Drogon is the wildcard in this situation since they have no logical way of dealing with him, unless crazy half dead Euron shows up on a little dingy with a Scorpion in tow.
                      This season definitely needed another episode or two, it's particularly weird how all the stuff with Bran just dropped off like...the North is just irrelevant now, it's super odd. And then the Lord of Light and all that, so many unanswered questions I doubt we'll all see a resolution too next episode.

Good God I forgot to close my spoiler tags AGAIN

Comment

Wow, people are signing a petition to remake Season 8. Over 300,000 apparently. I don't know, the writing of this final season certainly isn't great and it's probably worse than Season 5. I think if they stretched things out 10 episodes and gave a better pacing as well as a better build up for
                        Spoiler Alert!
                        Daenerys' madness
                        things would've been better. Game of Thrones was never known for bad pace until this season and the last. It certainly doesn't help that they don't have a source material to pull from. Anyways it is what it is, I don't think they should remake it. Let's just hope we get a solid ending.

Comment

Yeah that petition is just silly.

My boss told me they ended it this quick because the showrunners want to move on to something else, everyone else was happy to go on longer.
                          That's a bit crappy really, it definitely needed at least two episodes.

I think the main thing people are mad about had plenty build up(cba doing spoiler tags) but one thing that would have softened the blow is a better sense of time, these past two seasons have likely spanned a few months so it seems like a sudden change when for them it's really not.
                          Not that it's an out of character change at all since it's been hinted at many times anyway...

I don't get why the showrunners would want to rush the ending when GoT is obviously a huge money maker for them, of course it's expensive to make but...why harm the brand by giving it the chance of a bad ending?
                          It's clear people aren't happy with it being rushed and people who don't like what's going on are going to be salty about this forever.

Any new HBO shows are probably going to get shit on 'cause "You ruined my Game of Thrones damn you!" so it was a terrible choice to wrap it up this quick.

That said, without source material it would be in danger of padding things out with unnecessary crap so it is a bit tricky.
                          Personally I'm fine with it, I feel as though almost everything that needs to be said has been. Do we really need another 40 scenes of characters being remorseful of the current situation or reiterating things that are going on?
                          Not exactly compelling TV.

Comment

Oh boy, I'm sure people are going to bitch about this ending for years and years but that was brilliant if you ask me.

Spoiler Alert!
                            I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but even I get that the entire point of the story and all it's history is that the established system of rule is utterly broken and causes almost all the problems.

I'm sore Jon would have been a good King but making him King just because he's special is stupid, especially when they'd make any children he had King or Queen next, when they wouldn't be tempered by the same story, as Tyrion said they could be crazy.

The only thing that doesn't sit right with me is Bran still, up until the end there he seemed barely functional so him being lucid enough to rule is just a bit wonky feeling but I guess it's going to be more of a background thing rather than a standing making speeches and being pompous sort of thing.
                            Would have been better executed if Bran had a bit more involvement in the story and seemed functional.
                            But I guess he was just kinda waiting as he seen it coming anyway. So whatever.

Can't wait to see all the incredibly salty people who are fizzing at the mouth over their theories of the Imp King, Night Queen etc etc being wrong as if the writers owed them their particular vision.

Now Arya can go find GoT Asia/America and they can all fight over who's right and wrong in even grander scale!

Comment

Spoiler Alert!
                              Okay, the first part of the episode was actually really good. Up until the point Jon killed Daenerys, I have mixed feelings about Drogon melting the iron throne.

Problems
                              -Why in the world was Jon a Targaryen? It literally served no purpose other than getting Varys killed in a dumb way. The story could've been the same if Jon had been an actual bastard of Ned Stark's. They added way too much hype to Jon being a Targaryen and the rightful heir to not even use it appropriately.
                              -Why did they exile the hero of Westeros? Many of those people would support Jon, he freaking saved the world by killing Daenerys. Who wants to listen to Grey Worm? Can't they just allow Jon back after the Unsullied and others head to Mereen or wherever. There's no way they're staying in Westeros. And what's really stopping Sansa from allowing Jon back into the North after she's made Queen. She's not bound to King Bran or his kingdom's laws now.
                              -If this is what Jon wants, then it makes things more satisfying. But he didn't seem to enjoy it except for the fact he got to see Ghost and Tormund.
                              -Arya's faceless training, one of the worst parts of the series imo, ended up being mostly useless as she only uses it once. You could say twice though for the skill she uses to kill the Night King, but that's far more arguable.
                              -There was no Prince that was Promised or Azor Ahai. You could argue Jon Snow because he killed Daenerys or Arya Stark because she killed the Night King, but it still doesn't finish the prophecy. There are too many questions with the Lord of Light in general that are left unanswered.
                              -There's no way their terms of exiling Jon and making Tyrion the Hand would actually be acceptable to Daenerys' soldiers. If anything they're going to regroup in Mereen and come back to start another war.
                              -It looked as if Tyrion simply used Jon and didn't actually care about him. Davos, Sam, Sansa, Arya, none of these characters tried to vouch for Jon that we saw. All we know is that Sansa tried to bring him to the North.
                              -Why did Bran even ask about a Master of Whsiperers when he's the three eyed raven?
                              -Bran being king is a thing some many people said would happen as a joke because all he does was sit around and then he actually becomes king.

Good Parts
                              -Davos, Sam, Bronn, and Brienne were all on the small council.
                              -Brienne adding to Jaime's page in the book of knights.
                              -Jon reuniting with Wolf and the wildlings.
                              -Podrick became a Knight.
                              -The North is its own kingdom.
                              -Arya following her dream she mentions in Season 6.
                              -First part of the episode up until Jon kills Daenerys.
                              -Jon killing Daenerys was the best part of the episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Greeny View Post
                                Spoiler Alert!
                                Okay, the first part of the episode was actually really good. Up until the point Jon killed Daenerys, I have mixed feelings about Drogon melting the iron throne.

Problems
                                -Why in the world was Jon a Targaryen? It literally served no purpose other than getting Varys killed in a dumb way. The story could've been the same if Jon had been an actual bastard of Ned Stark's. They added way too much hype to Jon being a Targaryen and the rightful heir to not even use it appropriately.
                                -Why did they exile the hero of Westeros? Many of those people would support Jon, he freaking saved the world by killing Daenerys. Who wants to listen to Grey Worm? Can't they just allow Jon back after the Unsullied and others head to Mereen or wherever. There's no way they're staying in Westeros. And what's really stopping Sansa from allowing Jon back into the North after she's made Queen. She's not bound to King Bran or his kingdom's laws now.
                                -If this is what Jon wants, then it makes things more satisfying. But he didn't seem to enjoy it except for the fact he got to see Ghost and Tormund.
                                -Arya's faceless training, one of the worst parts of the series imo, ended up being mostly useless as she only uses it once. You could say twice though for the skill she uses to kill the Night King, but that's far more arguable.
                                -There was no Prince that was Promised or Azor Ahai. You could argue Jon Snow because he killed Daenerys or Arya Stark because she killed the Night King, but it still doesn't finish the prophecy. There are too many questions with the Lord of Light in general that are left unanswered.
                                -There's no way their terms of exiling Jon and making Tyrion the Hand would actually be acceptable to Daenerys' soldiers. If anything they're going to regroup in Mereen and come back to start another war.
                                -It looked as if Tyrion simply used Jon and didn't actually care about him. Davos, Sam, Sansa, Arya, none of these characters tried to vouch for Jon that we saw. All we know is that Sansa tried to bring him to the North.
                                -Why did Bran even ask about a Master of Whsiperers when he's the three eyed raven?
                                -Bran being king is a thing some many people said would happen as a joke because all he does was sit around and then he actually becomes king.

Gonna reply point for point, can't be bothered quoting them all individually lol

Spoiler Alert!
                                The point of Jon being a Targaryen is that it matter to everyone in their world but ultimately didn't matter at all, a big ole red herring I'd say.

They exiled him because half or at least like a third of the people out there wanted his blood "hero" is subjective, lots of people didn't give a shit about Kings Landing at all and saw Daenerys as the hero. It made most sense to do that because keeping him around or making him King would just start yet more war, it's an endless cycle...or...a wheel. A dysfunctional and stupid wheel at that.

Again the same thing, everyone who was on Dany's side would just want to attack the North so this keeps everyone "happy" you can't really kill someone's Queen and have a happy ever after.
                                One man isn't worth fighting more wars over.

Yeah Arya's journey is an odd one overall, I guess abandoning that path she was on just left her being kind of lost. I guess you could just say all this needed to happen because that's the way it did like Bran presumably foresaw. If she didn't go there she wouldn't have been strong enough to survive the Whitewalkers, much less everything else.
                                Ultimately all we can say is that it turned her in to the person she needed to be.

I don't think it matters really, prophecies are pointless. Either they exist to be fulfilled which is unsatisfying or they exist to not be fulfilled which is just the same really, another red herring. You're meant to think all that is important when it's kinda all petty crap.

Well exile is punishment, it's what everyone else who didn't get immediately executed had to do before. It's compromise.
                                As for Tyrion he didn't really do anything that horrendous compared to Varys who wanted Daenerys killed before she had actually done something worth killing her for, so I guess they just saw that as enough. He's got to work hard the rest of his life doing something he doesn't enjoy.

All in all I think everyone here was just being responsible, everyone had a chip on their shoulder but the weight of the decisions they were making mattered more than petty rivalry. I thought that was great. Continent altering decisions should never be made by just one person.
                                Just some grudges are too strong to let go.

Guessing Bran just doesn't see absolutely everything, I mean he said he'd look for Drogon so he didn't just immediately know where he went or why. I don't think he sees through all time just bits and pieces of the future and then more of the past.

Yeah he was poorly characterized for sure, we needed to see him being more like an encyclopedia of history but most of the time he sat around doing nothing or saying one line. He wasn't ever really presented as being remotely capable but...I guess he is?
                                Actually, maybe the Night King dying restored him somehow? Something that definitely should have been explained but that's gonna be my headcanon.
                                There was some weird time altering shit going on with those two so it would make sense that the Night King would have a negative affect on Bran.

Comment

Working...
                                X