Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toriko: One of the best shounen manga ever written

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toriko: One of the best shounen manga ever written

Since this is to discuss any series not called Dragon Ball, let me introduce you one of the best (if not the best) shounen manga I've ever read: TORIKO.

Pros:
    The best of a classic shounen + the best of a modern shounen.
    Incredible world building (the best I've ever seen in a Shounen).
    Great cast of characters.
    The pacing (except for the rushed ending, but that's not the mangaka's fault).

Cons:
    The rushed ending, or more like the skipped sagas prior to the ending, since the final saga was excellent as well.

The best way to describe this series would be: One Piece but much better and much more baddass.

Why pick One Piece as an example? Well, like One Piece, Toriko offers a very big and complex world that gets explored as the story advances. Like One Piece (at least int he beginning), it's full of details that you'll probably miss the first time you read a chapter, and what initially seems a very simple plot gets more and more complex as the story progresses.

Why is it much better written than One Piece? For various reasons:
    - The characters: While in OP they're completely flat, in Toriko the characters evolve. That and everyone being a fucking badass but still having his own personality is something I love and makes the reading of the series very enjoyable.

- The plot: Unlike One Piece, which can be great when it comes to each arc story but the overall plot seems to be very vague, with contradictions and -judging for how things are going- even stupid, Toriko's main plot ties with everything the series has been telling you in ways even I wasn't expecting having read so many series.
    Toriko's plot goes from being much simpler than the one in One Piece to being much deeper.

- The overall writting: Yeah, writting good characters and a good plot is also part of the writting, but what I want to praise here is the coherence in two aspects:
    - The Power Levels: Toriko's approach is the opposite that you can see in Dragon Ball. While Dragon Ball focuses in the power level of each fighter during a fight and you can see each blow having an impact on the fight (from the saiyan saga onwards, that is), Toriko focusses in the scale of the attacks and the explanation behind every power up, and it does it brilliantly I must say.
    - The morals of the series: Everything in Torko revolves around the food, and when I say everything I really mean it. From what's right to what's wrong, the savage world the series presents has a beauty in it incomparable to any other shounen manga I've ever read because it fully commits to the theme of the series.
    In One Piece we have our real world values applied in a world of pirates. In Naruto it's exactly the same, the moral compass of the series is grounded in what we, the average reader, considere correct. Not in Toriko, here, everything is played according to the rules of the world the author has created, and the author is always coherent on it and even explains it (or lays enough hints for the reader to really understand why everything is like it is).

If you hadn't read this manga, do yourself a favour and do it.

PD: Avoid the anime of this series at any cost. Toriko's anime is the absolute worst anime adaptation I've ever seen. Because of censorship, everything is infantilized and the great writting is lost because like in Naruto and One Piece, suddenly and except for a few scenes the moral compass of the series is like the one of the expected audience of a 9AM sunday anime.

I loved Toriko, it's easily my favourite of the more battle focused shounen. It has such a well crafted and interesting world and power structure, you're never left wondering "How the hell did they do that!?" because everything is explained properly and you know how strong all the characters are.
    I hate series where characters just have completely random strengths and capabilities that change to meet the plot, where characters who are incredibly strong and fast have to be killed off so they get wiped out in stupid ways. Itachi vs Nagato in Naruto still annoys me to this day...dude just stands there and gets destroyed for...reasons.

And also this is the most HYPE shounen manga out there, even though the final arc was rushed by Jump basically every week of it was a wild ride, the hype did not stop and it always delivered on it unlike some series.
    I like One Piece a lot but God damn it's slow on that end, the dramatic tension wears off fast.

So many legendarily awesome characters in Toriko too, the Eight Kings are among the coolest beasts in manga history for sure. The Tailed Beasts hang their head in shame at the 20,000KM tall horse that can snort a blast of air through a planet the size of Jupiter.

But even if you ignore the fighty fighty stuff, it's such a fun series and it never loses its identity, it never forgets to be about the joy of food and holy crap there's like not a single food item in the game that doesn't seem delicious, Shokugeki no Soma shows off some great mostly real food but Toriko's awesome fantasy food, what I wouldn't give to try half of it.

It certainly becomes less about food during the ending when there's so much fighting going on but at least that makes sense, compared to say Dragon Ball where initially it was this awesome adventure and then it all boils down to power ups and transformations, little else.

I'm so sad to see that Bleach is getting finished but Toriko is still not getting a proper adaptation.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      I loved Toriko, it's easily my favourite of the more battle focused shounen. It has such a well crafted and interesting world and power structure, you're never left wondering "How the hell did they do that!?" because everything is explained properly and you know how strong all the characters are.
      I hate series where characters just have completely random strengths and capabilities that change to meet the plot, where characters who are incredibly strong and fast have to be killed off so they get wiped out in stupid ways. Itachi vs Nagato in Naruto still annoys me to this day...dude just stands there and gets destroyed for...reasons.

And also this is the most HYPE shounen manga out there, even though the final arc was rushed by Jump basically every week of it was a wild ride, the hype did not stop and it always delivered on it unlike some series.
      I like One Piece a lot but God damn it's slow on that end, the dramatic tension wears off fast.

So many legendarily awesome characters in Toriko too, the Eight Kings are among the coolest beasts in manga history for sure. The Tailed Beasts hang their head in shame at the 20,000KM tall horse that can snort a blast of air through a planet the size of Jupiter.

But even if you ignore the fighty fighty stuff, it's such a fun series and it never loses its identity, it never forgets to be about the joy of food and holy crap there's like not a single food item in the game that doesn't seem delicious, Shokugeki no Soma shows off some great mostly real food but Toriko's awesome fantasy food, what I wouldn't give to try half of it.

It certainly becomes less about food during the ending when there's so much fighting going on but at least that makes sense, compared to say Dragon Ball where initially it was this awesome adventure and then it all boils down to power ups and transformations, little else.

I'm so sad to see that Bleach is getting finished but Toriko is still not getting a proper adaptation.
      Great summary of the series man. Hype is the word to use here, I still read this manga because I love chapters like the one where he develops the nail gun.

Never a series was able to consistently surprise me as much as this one.
      All hail to one of the best shounens ever!

Regards!

Comment

Toriko was a Manga I cared a lot about when I was reading a lot of Manga in my early twenties, and it is really good (at least Part I is). I think it fell into obscurity for me because it wasn't popular enough to maintain a sizable fan base after it ended.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Green Uncle 2 View Post
          Toriko was a Manga I cared a lot about when I was reading a lot of Manga in my early twenties, and it is really good (at least Part I is). I think it fell into obscurity for me because it wasn't popular enough to maintain a sizable fan base after it ended.
          Part 2 may not live up to the expectations set by Part 1 because of the skipped sagas which resulted in a rushed (although still very good) ending but I still think it's top quality shounen.
          I would have loved if the gourmet world saga would've been as expanded and developed as the human world saga was, but the series being cut short wasn't the authors fault.

I think that the anime was what killed this series, it was such a bad adaptation... it infantilized a very "adult" shounen, and the end product was a series that wasn't good for the kids nor good for the teenagers.

Comment

Working...
          X