Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are your favourite anime/manga the same as years ago?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are your favourite anime/manga the same as years ago?

For me 20ish years ago it was Pokemon, Digimon and DBZ, but I didn't really watch much or know what "anime" was.

2011-2013 - favourite anime: generally One Piece, then Gintama/Space Brothers. Also shows like Initial D/Haibane Renmei. Dorohedoro and I am a Hero for manga

2015-2016 - same anime but Again!!/Welcome to Room #305/Liar Game were in my favourite manga by now

2021 - Gintama for anime, also shows like Mob Psycho/Serial Experiments/NGE. One Piece not any more. Dorohedoro and Chi no Wadachi for manga, although the other manga could still be up there.

Overall my favourites have definitely shifted away from action to more slice of life/drama or psychological stuff. I've never gone back to reread any of my old favourite manga and rarely rewatched anime, so maybe some old favourites would be fight back up there if I did.

​​​

--------------------------------------------Signature-----------------------------------------------------

(aka TrunksinSwimmingTrunks aka daman)

“Planets are just places for people to stand on. Planets are just rocks. It takes people to make it a world. You can have as many “Earths” as you want. I only care about what’s inside.” – Sakamoto Tatsuma

Kamikaze Pyro is a girl? olsiw

No, they're different. When I was young I watched Pokemon & Yugioh every time that I was given that opportunity. It was simple. I wanted to be a Pokemon Master and the Dueling King of Games.

Now though I watch/read to get more out of a series. I like to see if I can connect with the mangaka or the director. A good example is Bakuman. I would have never enjoyed it when I was younger. Now though it's a favorite for sure. The manga makes me lol irl and the anime is just as good. When I was a kid I wanted to live in these worlds and that's why I enjoyed them. Now though I want to enjoy entertainment that makes me feel empathy or can make me laugh or even get excited about what is coming next.

Comment

Do you still like fruits;basket and Clannad (bleh)? I'm sure I remember those being two of your favourites 7-8 years ago
      --------------------------------------------Signature-----------------------------------------------------

(aka TrunksinSwimmingTrunks aka daman)

“Planets are just places for people to stand on. Planets are just rocks. It takes people to make it a world. You can have as many “Earths” as you want. I only care about what’s inside.” – Sakamoto Tatsuma

Kamikaze Pyro is a girl? olsiw

Comment

Originally posted by wolffanghameha View Post
        Do you still like fruits;basket and Clannad (bleh)? I'm sure I remember those being two of your favourites 7-8 years ago
        Yes, I do. Clannad After Story is probably the saddest anime (in a good way with the feels) I'll ever watch (although to fully appreciate it you have to have seen the original). Fruits Basket was one of the first non action anime that I really got into so it will always have a unique place for me.

Comment

wolf did u watch digimon-tamers? if u can & want to say.

the series was written by the same writer as serial-lain-experiments & other series i think i think.

Comment

Only anime I've really ever considered my favourite is Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. I haven't watched it in years but I'm fairly confident it holds up.

Comment

I used to be a One Piece fanboy. But then I realized I was also promoting it as a section for DBZeta.

Manga I used to like the most like One Piece and Toriko are good, don't get me wrong. But lately I've gravitated toward the likes of Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter X Hunter, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure more.

I like Naruto and Bleach better than I used to as well. I used to hate on them to be elitist, but now I realize that Part I Naruto and Substitute Shinigami/Soul Society Bleach, while somewhat overrated in the eyes of fanboys or fangirls, are actually rather enjoyable for what they are. Part II Naruto (Before the Fourth Shinobi War Saga) and the Arrancar Saga (Before the Fake Karakura Town Arc) are also very much watchable and readable.

Part II Bleach has Fullbring though, which is one of the worst Anime and Manga Arcs in existence, and while the first half of the Quincy Saga is fine, the second half is pretty bad.
              Last edited by Big Green Uncle 2; 12-03-2021, 08:11 AM.

Comment

No, not at all. Almost everything is different about them right now. I cannot say that they are still great, or that they are worse, it depends on the way you perceive it. It might also be the fact that on the path of time, my tastes might actually got changed.
                Last edited by Matarael; 01-04-2021, 06:50 AM.

Comment

They've changed somewhat, but half the titles in my favorites are the same as years ago, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Police View Post
                    They've changed somewhat, but half the titles in my favorites are the same as years ago, yes.
                    Which did change and why?

Comment

Originally posted by Cal View Post

Which did change and why?
                      I read/watched more series over the years and got more perspective. I also don't read a few of my favorite series endlessly on repeat like I used to.
                      Last edited by The_Police; 15-03-2021, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matarael View Post
                        No, not at all. Almost everything is different about them right now. I cannot say that they are still great, or that they are worse, it depends on the way you perceive it. It might also be the fact that on the path of time, my tastes might actually got changed.
                        You have actually got a good point
                        Last edited by MurrayMi; 01-04-2021, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Yep. Dragonball/YYH have always been the top, though I think HxH did usurp the 4th spot since I saw it last year.

Comment

Working...
                          X