Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people hate the Cell arc/saga?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people hate the Cell arc/saga?

I know that DRaogn bAl had its critics but I had no idea that people hated the Cell arc/sagathat much. Can anyone explain to me why the Cell arc is hated? And why some people hate Cell himself?

What? I thought the Buu Saga was the hated one.

I don't know, maybe people hate it because it was a series of plot twists one after the other without proper build up, the whole thing feels contrived. As for why people hate Cell himself, perhaps he just wasn't on par with Frieza or was a step down from him. To be honest, Cell is my fav villain in Z, and most other people, at least the western audience.

Comment

I love the Cell saga. It may not be the most funny to read but it surely was the most ambitious.
      Toriyama actually tried to desing a complex scenario that rivals the best time-travel stories I've ever read (much more coherent than any terminator film except for the first one, but much, much more complex), excellent new characters like Trunks, and the whole saga was full of plot-twists.
      The fights were good, Toriyama tried a new formula (Cell, despite being the big boss of the saga, spends most of it running and hidding from the z-warrios and/or losing to them, reversing what usually happens in a shounen but also wihtout degradating Cell as an enemy and making him a real threat -which is not something easy to do by any means), fan favourite's Future Trunks appeared there and was a blast of a character (deep personality due to having had a traumatised past) and it also introduced Satan in his role of being a comic relieve (and what a hell of a comic relieve, just in the saga that needed it the most because of how serious it's tone was).

Comment

Originally posted by Vitalista View Post
        What? I thought the Buu Saga was the hated one.

I don't know, maybe people hate it because it was a series of plot twists one after the other without proper build up, the whole thing feels contrived. As for why people hate Cell himself, perhaps he just wasn't on par with Frieza or was a step down from him. To be honest, Cell is my fav villain in Z, and most other people, at least the western audience.
        The Buu is still hated but recently I had head from a very vocal minority that criticze the Cell saga for starting the trneds that we is in the Buu saga. I am not sure about this as I alwaus thought that many love the Cell saga but I wasn't really aware of its flaws until later in life. I still love the Cell saga but I realize that the saga had some flaws especially the ones involving Gohan. I know the same can said of every saga but the Cell (and Buu) saga gets criticzed the most.

Originally posted by scouterSSJ View Post
        I love the Cell saga. It may not be the most funny to read but it surely was the most ambitious.
        Toriyama actually tried to desing a complex scenario that rivals the best time-travel stories I've ever read (much more coherent than any terminator film except for the first one, but much, much more complex), excellent new characters like Trunks, and the whole saga was full of plot-twists.
        The fights were good, Toriyama tried a new formula (Cell, despite being the big boss of the saga, spends most of it running and hidding from the z-warrios and/or losing to them, reversing what usually happens in a shounen but also wihtout degradating Cell as an enemy and making him a real threat -which is not something easy to do by any means), fan favourite's Future Trunks appeared there and was a blast of a character (deep personality due to having had a traumatised past) and it also introduced Satan in his role of being a comic relieve (and what a hell of a comic relieve, just in the saga that needed it the most because of how serious it's tone was).
        I agree with this post. The Cell saga was ambitious but it also had some troubled production behind the scenes what with Toriyama getting criticized by his editors for the designs for the villains. I really like the tense tone of the arc but I can understand why some may not like it compared to the earlier arcs.

Comment

Originally posted by G.G. View Post
          I agree with this post. The Cell saga was ambitious but it also had some troubled production behind the scenes what with Toriyama getting criticized by his editors for the designs for the villains. I really like the tense tone of the arc but I can understand why some may not like it compared to the earlier arcs.
          True!
          Since every saga in the Z part of DB is so different in style from the rest, every saga can arguably be one's favourite and no one can go wrong.
          I love each one of them (Freezer+Sayans for the lore it introduces, the survival game in Namek and Vegeta vs Goku being one of the best fights in any shounen manga, the Cell saga for the reasons I've explained and the Bu saga even if it's the most inconsistent one once Bu appears it's the most funny to read).

Regards!

Comment

I think part of the reason some people are lukewarm towards the Cell arc is that it's put into motion, and extended, by the characters making really, really careless decisions, making it harder to root for our heroes. Also, I think Cell is a pretty weak villain, and Gohan isn't all that strong either in this arc (he has to be pushed into action by Goku and others)

Comment

I like the cell saga. It showed gohan's potential.

Comment

Originally posted by RIsanF View Post
                I think part of the reason some people are lukewarm towards the Cell arc is that it's put into motion, and extended, by the characters making really, really careless decisions, making it harder to root for our heroes. Also, I think Cell is a pretty weak villain, and Gohan isn't all that strong either in this arc (he has to be pushed into action by Goku and others)
                That seems to be the problem for some although other fans would argue otherwise and that it makes sense.

Comment

Maybe spending too much time on the internet is giving you the wrong idea of what people like/dislike. For example, if you just go by how people talk about it on the internet, you'd think DBS was utterly despised but as far as I can ascertain, it was pretty damn popular. I certainly disliked it but that's not reflective of how the 'general public' felt about it.

Same for the Cell arc. Maybe people online give it shit, but the entirety of Dragon Ball is still wildly popular/well-liked. So I wouldn't say people "hate the Cell arc", unless 'people' specifically refers to obsessive fans/haters who still get into heated internet debates about Dragon Ball in 2020. And even amongst that public, you'll find people who like the Cell arc just fine. In no scenario is it widely despised.

Personally, I've reread the entire manga recently and liked pretty much all of it, including the artificial humans/Cell stuff. This time around, I liked it not so much for the "story" but for the 'texture', the feel of spectacle Toriyama's always been good at imbuing in his stuff whether he's writing comedy or action.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Boo arc is the most disliked, but if we were to come up with any reason why the Cell arc is hated I'd probably point to the time travelling aspect of it. It's an incredibly difficult thing to make work perfectly and there certainly are some glaring plotholes that came with the territory. Back to the Future is my favorite movie trilogy but even I admit it has a lot of plotholes as a result of how difficult it is to write around certain situations that arise.

Comment

There is also the strange "out of character" moments in the Cell saga although it might not be as "out of character" as some believe.

Comment

What would the out of character moments be?
                        “Planets are just places for people to stand on. Planets are just rocks. It takes people to make it a world. You can have as many “Earths” as you want. I only care about what’s inside.” – Sakamoto Tatsuma

Kamikaze Pyro is a girl? olsiw

Comment

Originally posted by wolffanghameha View Post
                          What would the out of character moments be?
                          I'm guessing they mean Gohan suddenly forced into being a pacifist. You do have to admit it came out of nowhere

Comment

Well he was always not one for fighting or was at least always nervous about fighting. He fought when he had to, in life and death situations (or to save people who were about to be killed in front of him, like Dende). He still fought hard and at his pre-existing full power against Cell before going SSJ2, but I think he just wasn't motivated enough to get angry and unlock more power until 16 was killed. I'm not sure he was really turned into a pacifist.
                            “Planets are just places for people to stand on. Planets are just rocks. It takes people to make it a world. You can have as many “Earths” as you want. I only care about what’s inside.” – Sakamoto Tatsuma

Kamikaze Pyro is a girl? olsiw

Comment

Working...
                            X