Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Gohan's character wasted in the series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Gohan's character wasted in the series?

When Gohan first appeared in the manga, he was a kid who felt like he had a lot of potential as a fighter, character and as Goku's successor in the future. It just seems like after the Majin Buu saga, Toriyama just didn't know what to do with Gohan and just made him fodder like the rest of the cast. I do enjoy Gohan as a scholar but considering the kind of series that Dragon Ball is, Gohan being a scholar isn't utilized well and it is not going to help beat any major villains in the series. It just sort of bothers me, has Gohan's character been wasted in the post Majin Buu series?

Toriyama says that he wanted to go with Gohan being the main character at first, but later decided he wasn't fit for the role - and I somewhat agree, since as AT says Gohan seems to prefer studying to fighting. Tracksuit Gohan from the Fukkatsu no F saga was definitely a disservice to his character though.

Comment

I just wish Toriyama would do more with him though. I know Gohan is not a battle maniac and adventure like Goku but he could be utilized in other ways.

Comment

Originally posted by G.G. View Post
        I just wish Toriyama would do more with him though. I know Gohan is not a battle maniac and adventure like Goku but he could be utilized in other ways.
        yeah right i wish for that too few series when gohan first met videl there from onward gohan is my fav

Comment

Here's the issue I've always had with that Toriyama statement. He clearly knew going into the Tenkaichi Budokai/Boo arc that he'd changed his mind on Gohan being the main character. The problem here is, Toriyama was the writer, and not only that Gohan had hit puberty before we saw him again. This means Toriyama could've changed Gohan's character somewhat, because people change when they go through puberty. He clearly didn't have to completely overhaul his character, but just change him enough to fit the role of main character, without making him a Goku clone.

So to be honest, that reasoning to me comes off more as an excuse to get out of doing more work. However, I do understand why though, Toriyama had been doing this for so long, he clearly was burned out that he wanted it to be done and over with. That still doesn't exempt him or anyone involved from being lazy though, but I do think understand why the Boo arc turned out such a mess it was, is necessary too.

Comment

Working...
          X