Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On Raditz moving at Light speed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bet this guy can move at the speed of light. I've heard he's the fastest being in the entire universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinny View Post
      Moving faster than the eye can see is a start, though we also have every occasion that Bulma is able to view them...

As I understand, you are saying that I am using a few occasions, but that is flaws because there are so many more examples of the opposite? Am I missing something? There is a reason this is bad evidence while what you (presumably) have is good evidence right? What separates them that I can make the distinction from here?
      That is not my argument. It’s not a question of which argument has more scenes to back it up. I’m saying your guys’ argument that they aren’t much if at all faster than sound, despite there being evidence for it such as Bulma being able to see them fight, goes against the author’s narrative, so it’s not good evidence

There is a difference between scenes that are obviously used to enhance drama and scenes that the author is clearly using to set a benchmark for how powerful the characters are. IMO, just because the former contradicts the latter, does not mean we should just discard the author’s intentions, as it is the evidence that is the least biased and has the most weight to it and is arguably more consistent if we look at it alone

Basically, picking scenes that are not in line with and contradict the narrative, and then using that as evidence, even if there are a lot of scenes you can use, gives the argument a weak foundation. It’s literally nitpicking at scenes that aren’t meant to convey what you are getting out of it

I hope I’ve made my stance clear this time. You can agree with how I prefer to analyze or series or not. I just prefer to use scenes and present ideas that are more in line with what the author is intending because it’s more objective. There are concepts the author has clearly tried to establish with explicit evidence and that’s what I like to stick to
      Last edited by Kingslayer96; 08-05-2019, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingslayer96 View Post

That is not my argument. It’s not a question of which argument has more scenes to back it up. I’m saying your guys’ argument that they aren’t much if at all faster than sound, despite there being evidence for it such as Bulma being able to see them fight, goes against the author’s narrative, so it’s not good evidence

There is a difference between scenes that are obviously used to enhance drama and scenes that the author is clearly using to set a benchmark for how powerful the characters are. IMO, just because the former contradicts the latter, does not mean we should just discard the author’s intentions, as it is the evidence that is the least biased and has the most weight to it and is arguably more consistent if we look at it alone

Basically, picking scenes that are not in line with and contradict the narrative, and then using that as evidence, even if there are a lot of scenes you can use, gives the argument a weak foundation. It’s literally nitpicking at scenes that aren’t meant to convey what you are getting out of it

I hope I’ve made my stance clear this time. You can agree with how I prefer to analyze or series or not. I just prefer to use scenes and present ideas that are more in line with what the author is intending because it’s more objective. There are concepts the author has clearly tried to establish with explicit evidence and that’s what I like to stick to
        Ok, I think I understand now, and that does make a lot more sense to be honest than other arguments I've seen in this thread .

At the same time this gets a bit harder to understand what exactly is their intent, given more troubling events in this case, such as sonar of all things being used. There is obvious intent in them being fast, but how fast aside from "too fast for the human eye" is often very vague. With that said I do I think I get what you mean when you refer to the intention of the author in this case. I suppose part of the problem is that the people involved (me included) have been involved with other versus for a while and it's hard to switch from that. In Other versus in which author's intent goes to die simply because no author really intends for say, Batman to fight Hawkeye for example, they just write them in the story and we crowbar them into conflict, violating the intent in the first place.

In the universe as a self-contained piece of writing with none of this however I do think I get that there's a more specific argument to be made for them being intended to be a speed despite their feats (which again, is how we measure them in hypothetical conflicts that will never arise and won't go according to our analysis). I think we can still debate on where they're supposed to be on that scale given story moments like Dyspo and Anislaza where drama hinges, not simply in magnifying it, but in allowing it to happen in the first place, as opposed to various fighters commentating which mostly seems to be there to add exposition (or to marvel at their strength), and one can argue they're basically being used in place of an omniscient narrator.

Overall yeah, I think I understand what you're saying here, and while I think there's room to argue, it makes a lot more sense on viewing it through this lens.

Signature and Avatar by NinjaSushi

Comment

Working...
        X