Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.
Please register if you would like to take part.

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

17 and 18, not really androids?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 and 18, not really androids?

So is it fair to say that since "android" 17 and 18 are almost entirely biological in nature, they aren't really androids at all, but more like enhanced humans or super soldiers, think Captain America X100?

Technically they're "cyborgs," yeah, Earthlings that have been artificially enhanced with extra hardware.

But "Android" as a translation for "Jinzoningen (Artificial Human)" is a good enough blanket term for them and all the others.

Comment

i always wondered how come 18 could have a child if she is cyborg ? Unless she is like enchanted human android like cell who was 100 percently biological but artificial

Comment

I generally prefer to use the term "cyborg" because it's more technically accurate to what they really are (humans with cybernetic enhancements). There's arguably more grey area with Gero because while he does have an organic brain, the rest of his body is mechanical. Would that make him cybernetic or an android which is basically a machine in human form? Also, there are some bona fide androids in the original in the form of #19 and #16.

Comment

Yeah, I think the word android implies they are full robots. Cyborg is more correct because they have both human and cybernatic parts, like Merc Tao.

Comment

Cyborgs is accurate, yes. I think they are referred to Androids simply because the vast majority of Gero's Android iterations were entirely mechanical. With the exception of 17, 18 and the process of turning himself into a cyborg. Cell as well, if you wish to count him. 17 and 18 were the most organic, and I believe their reproductive systems were left entirely intact. After all, 17 had his own biological son as was confirmed in Super. Their cybernetic enhancements were added onto their human frames and I don't think replaced a significant part of their actual humanity. tl;dr, I think they are largely more man than machine, though it may be something more like 50/50. Still, because of all the Androids being called, well, Androids, despite the fact that this descriptor doesn't quite accurately fit Nos. 17 and 18, they are still called Androids rather than the more appropriate "cyborgs".
            Brother! Your crusade IS OVER!!

NO...!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
              Cyborgs is accurate, yes. I think they are referred to Androids simply because the vast majority of Gero's Android iterations were entirely mechanical. With the exception of 17, 18 and the process of turning himself into a cyborg. Cell as well, if you wish to count him. 17 and 18 were the most organic, and I believe their reproductive systems were left entirely intact. After all, 17 had his own biological son as was confirmed in Super. Their cybernetic enhancements were added onto their human frames and I don't think replaced a significant part of their actual humanity. tl;dr, I think they are largely more man than machine, though it may be something more like 50/50. Still, because of all the Androids being called, well, Androids, despite the fact that this descriptor doesn't quite accurately fit Nos. 17 and 18, they are still called Androids rather than the more appropriate "cyborgs".
              Good explanation. I have to wonder, what's your take on Gero/#20's classification? His brain is organic but it seems like the rest of his body is mechanical. Would he be classified as an android or cyborg? You did cite him as being a cyborg, but the vast majority of his composition is artificially mechanical. What do you think?

Comment

Working...
              X