Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dragon Ball Super: Broly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon Ball Super: Broly

A thread dedicated to the upcoming movie, since some have already seen chunks of it (though remember, spoilers).

Spoiler Alert!
    So I've only see the first half of the movie but it was only the raw version. From what I've seen it's pretty good, but I still don't like the whole re-writing of the saiyans. I like the way they handled Bardock's death, but I still wish it was like the Bardock movie and the manga. I know Toriyama added Bardock because he thought the movie was cool, but it's still there in the manga. Broly seems extremely similar to Goku when he first appeared. I also liked the relationship between Bah and Broly, too bad Paragus is a douche though. Didn't get to see much of the battle and I'm surprised how they instantly fought like right after they landed. There was very little dialogue which I thought was odd.

Comment

Sorry for the double post, but I did finally watch the whole movie subbed about a week ago.
      Spoiler Alert!
      Really freaking good movie. Felt a bit fast paced once the fighting started, but the fights were still good. Surprised that LSS wasn't hyped up like at all, but I'm glad it wasn't. Broly is actually super likable in this movie. Gogeta was cool. Paragus' death was super anti-climatic I felt, but I hated the dirtbag. Frieza getting the crap beat out of him for 1 hour while Goku and Vegeta tried to fuse was hillarious. Also, the Bulma being younger 5 years and Frieza being 5cm shorter was great. The art style, oh my goodness, freaking phenomenal. Probably the best art style I've seen for Dragon Ball. Really want the series to return now thanks to this movie. 9.5/10

Comment

Toonami decided to show off Goku's transformation sequence for Blue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDhUg0Q6z_c

Comment

This movie is probably the best thing to come out of Super by a lot.

Comment

Sadly, just like the original Broly trilogy, this movie did nothing for me. Did not care for the retconning of the past events, did not care for Broly himself his power just makes zero sense at all, and the ending of the movie was pretty horrible. Felt very very rushed, and didn't even get to hear from Vegeta Whis or Beerus after the battle. Only Goku... so sick of that. I really wanted to hear Whis talk about Broly, and there should have been way more dialogue between Vegeta & Broly's father.

Comment

Good movie. Kind of annoyed that Broly is even strong enough to deal with god level shit but that happens in these types of shows. Whats with the green hair/aura stuff though? Also didn't like the flash of UI during Goku's transformation to blue. The two should be unrelated entirely.

ミスドは聖地じゃ

Comment

saw a small portion of the dub and the full sub. watch the sub, much better and it explains broly better.

saw the movie on youtube. was AWESOME !!!!
                and gogeta transformation was greatly done. it took them 3 tries to do it right, which meant golden frieza fought broly for a a full hour. HOUR. [thats badass]
                so if golden frieza can hold his own against broly for an hour, it must mean he has been training since TOP ended and is stronger than ever. guess vegeta is right by training to stay stronger than frieza.

i hoped to see MUI goku kills broly but im happy with the current ending aswell.,

Originally posted by Shinobu View Post
                Good movie. Kind of annoyed that Broly is even strong enough to deal with god level **** but that happens in these types of shows. Whats with the green hair/aura stuff though? Also didn't like the flash of UI during Goku's transformation to blue. The two should be unrelated entirely.
                the sub explained it as a transformation- the oozaru without changing body, because broly doesnt have a tail (which is why he also lost control, same thing happens with most saiyans in oozaru form)
                Last edited by highwaysaiyan; 18-01-2019, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Yes I got the "explanation" in the movie but that doesn't really make him god level.

ミスドは聖地じゃ

Comment

Originally posted by Shinobu View Post
                    Yes I got the "explanation" in the movie but that doesn't really make him god level.
                    it makes sense when its broly. he is a mutation (i think freeza said it),
                    im just happy they didnt use the "he is the legendary super saiyan that comes every thousand years". always hated that concept, makes the super saiyan we saw on namek cheap. even paragus in this movie was surprised of vegeta's (and goku's) transformation and called it the legendary transformation and a myth (i think). broly just got his own unique transformation.

Comment

I liked it fine, though it's not a movie I'd consider rewatching.

Spoiler Alert!
                      Freeza was waaay too big of a joke, though.

Comment

The movie was pretty bad. However, I do have to give credit to the amount of effort which was poured into the animation of it. It looks marginally better than the plastic designs of Super. Also, Broly in the film is better than his original counterpart.

There's no real tension within the film, which the movie is aware of, and desperate to trick you into believing. Broly isn't a threat with Whis standing on the sidelines, Goku has Ultra Instinct which would activate if he was in any real danger, and then there is Beerus who for the duration of the film is stuck baby sitting Bra. At one point in the film, the movie attempts to make it seem that Broly has Goku on his last legs when he's beating him up while he's in Super Saiyan God, however, at any point Goku could have transformed into the more powerful form of Super Saiyan Blue.

The Dragon Ball minus bits only serve to hurt Goku's character, and could be cut out of the film as they have no actual bearing, or significance on the plot of the film. It could be argued that perhaps it's to draw some similarities between Goku and Broly, but that goes nowhere.

I personally did not care for the fights. Most of it was filler, seeing the three fighters slowly cycle through each of their forms. It could be argued that the first time with Vegeta V Broly made sense, but having Goku start off in base form against Broly who could defeat SSJG/SSJ Vegeta made no sense. Beyond looking cool I guess. Then the same was done for Gogeta. I didn't like Gogeta's fight at all as well. It was just a visual cluster fuck, followed by an ugly cgi battle in this dimension.

Freeza's character took a nose dive within the film. The whole entire wish "gag" of growing taller doesn't make any sense with his character, and is completely recycled from Commander Red.

The film is also the most blatantly greedy and lazy Dragon Ball product I've ever seen. A film about Broly, with the fan favourite Gogeta for good measure as well.

Comment

By far the greatest Dragon Ball movie of all time. I couldn't get enough, and this is the first DB movie that I will buy on Blu-Ray to support the franchise and watch it legally whenever I want. I'm probably going to rewatch this movie several times. My only complaint that I have is that it felt like it was a little bit rushed, everything needed more time in order to flourish. When I read the summary, I thought I would hate Freeza's wish, but actually seeing it and hearing Freeza explain it, I don't really hate it. I definitely don't like it, but I thought I would be infuriated about it and I wasn't. Possibly the greatest fight-scenes ever in this franchise, too. The fact that the budget for this movie dwarfed any other, definitely showed.

I need more of this. I need more of these character interactions, I need more of the extra lore, and I just need to see the other half of Toriyama's script.

Comment

Originally posted by Greeny View Post
                            Spoiler Alert!
                            So I've only see the first half of the movie but it was only the raw version. From what I've seen it's pretty good, but I still don't like the whole re-writing of the saiyans. I like the way they handled Bardock's death, but I still wish it was like the Bardock movie and the manga. I know Toriyama added Bardock because he thought the movie was cool, but it's still there in the manga. Broly seems extremely similar to Goku when he first appeared. I also liked the relationship between Bah and Broly, too bad Paragus is a douche though. Didn't get to see much of the battle and I'm surprised how they instantly fought like right after they landed. There was very little dialogue which I thought was odd.
                            It's not really "retconning" anything because Toriyama isn't actually retconning anything he originally wrote. We still have a scene where Bardock is engulfed in Freeza's ki blast in a dramatic scene, so it doesn't necessarily contradict the manga.

And as far as the very little dialogue, I was disappointed with that too, but they just didn't have enough time.

Comment

This movie is... Probably the best thing to come out of Super and really Dragon Ball in general for a very long time. I'm just gonna discuss my thoughts on it, and put it in a spoiler

Spoiler Alert!
                              I mean as a highlight, I liked that they actually poitned out that scouters are actually a really big deal. Just being able to sense it, and establishing them as such was quite surprising, and they had it play a role later with Cheelai and Lemo scanning Broly's incredible power and bringing him in to meet Freeza. I liked the more increased look into space, while relatively brief, it was actually kind of nice seeing a facet of dragon ball we don't usually see, the rather seedy underbelly, Cheelai and Lemo honestly became some of the most interesting characters in the movie.

Now while people dislike Goku and Broly's retcons I've generally seen, especially Goku with Minus, this movie I think actually builds up something more from it (and let's be honest, any symbolic damage done by Minus has already been done). It actually takes what is a pretty disappointing change and actually builds it up, giving a far better reason for Broly and Goku to be rivals to each other than simply "Goku cried next to him as a child." They're connected in many facets, both launched away from planet Vegeta, both with parents willing to do anything, Paragus and Bardock both motivated by an unorthodox love and care for their child. But Bardock wanted to truly save Goku, while Paragus saw him as proof of them being more than mere commoners. Paragus exiled himself, and laid down a path in blood to attempt this, cursing the saiyans, while Bardock would save Goku, attempt to save his species, and face the end with dignity. Paragus on the other hand killed his fellow co-pilot to preserve rations.

Goku was lucky enough to land on a hospital planet, and learn from good people all around him, and grow as a person. Broly on the other hand only had Paragus, training him to be what he wanted from his son, a warrior, on a horrific and repugnant world. They actually build up the feeling that Goku and Broly were in a sense, destined to meet, perhaps even fight.

And I know PocketGoggu mentioned that there was no tension, but I actually disagree, I think DBS Broly actually did something neat to build up the tension in a story sense. We s pend most of our time in the movie with Broly (or at least a good portion of it), seeing him grow accustomed, with his own character arc set out, proving his good points in helping Chilai, even being kind of naive (like young Goku was). We see him struggle under the oppressive father Paragus, who keeps imposing his vision for what Broly should be onto Broly, even electrocuting him. We have a connection and grow to care about Broly (that's the intent anyway). And this takes advantage of something we know. Goku and Vegeta will not lose, they will not die, they will live to fight another die and win, or if they lose now, they will win the rematch.

This introduced a question.

Broly will not win. We know this as a fact. But we also like him. So...

Will Broly survive? This is a movie, keep in mind, there's a reasonable expectation that everything that happens here will just be forgotten or otherwise out of the way when the series starts up again. Easiest way to do that is to kill Broly at the end of this, he goes super saiyan, all crazy, Gogeta shows up and kills him after a big battle. The tension isn't if Goku and Vegeta will win, but if Broly will survive, if Cheelai and Lemo, the new characters will get past this show. The movie actually is pretty aware that Broly will lose, and keeps playing that up, will Broly win? Will Broly survive? Can he do it can he fight them? And that's the movie's greatest strength in story telling. It actually relies on the fact that Goku and Vegeta are effectively invincible to create the tension.

And while we're at it, Broly is honestly really nice here, and I actually like him as a character. Before he was basically a big lug, but now after this, I feel like I'm actually interested in following his journey, in seeing what he becomes (or hell maybe writing it myself if he disappears from DBS after this). We have Freeza clearly laying down plans to end the saiyans, and still having his sights set on Broly, and honestly it's the first time I'm actually kinda curious about what happens in DBS. If this is a sign of things to come, then I can safety say that DBS might actually get to be good.

On the not so good things, the power scaling is crap, but it's been crap for a long while so that didn't really bother me (Also technically this could be seen as proof that base Goku is stronger than blue Vegeta which the U6 tournament did, AND Y'ALL THOUGHT ME MAD).

Also a final astonishment. The fighting, the characters actually feel a bit more skilled in combat than they usually do, hell I can actually see Vegeta putting up a real fight in equal stats against skilled fighters with the new movie, which I'm sure will shock Solid Snake

I knew the new art style would improve Dragon Ball, and honestly though I know the anime series after this won't be competing with the movie in looks, I do think this is pretty definitive proof that the less detailed character sheet is much better for Dragon Ball's style of action.

In all, this is the best movie Dragon Ball's done, the best thing it's done for a long time, and I think a genuinely good action flick. It still clearly has action as it's priorities, but honestly I'm just so happy that
                              a: I cared enough about the story to want to cut away from the action a bit to the characters talking, usually (especially during the ToP) I was telling them to get on with it. Here I'm actually kept entertained.
                              b: The story helped enhance the action, again helping me enjoy the animation they keep doing here, even when it clearly went CGI (I hold that it was good).
                              and c: The action itself was just really nice to look at, and I had a much better sense of Goku and Vegeta's skill and power (technically this is still really limp compared to universe destruction but again, that's not new for DBS either, and this goes a good way towards rectifying that).
                              Last edited by Tinny; 20-01-2019, 07:16 PM.

Signature and Avatar by NinjaSushi

Comment

Working...
                              X