Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.
Please register if you would like to take part.

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Dragon Ball Super been better if it happened after the ten year time skip?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Dragon Ball Super been better if it happened after the ten year time skip?

Don't get me wrong, my dudes, but even tho I like Super

The fact that Goku and company are fine after 10 years while super happens during it just kills the tension. So, do y'all think it would have been better if Super was after the time skip?

Yes, I think it would've been a lot better. It would've been great to see adult Goten and Trunks too.
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0c/e1/34/0ce13464c2c83ecc3ebc36030fd5e7e8.jpg

Comment

With Oob there... maybe. Maybe. I dunno, to be honest. It could've been worse for all I know.
      Bear?

The King of Bears!

Comment

Yeah, probably. Toriyama said it took place during this time because this was apparently when everyone was the strongest. But that isn't necessarily true either.

Comment

it never had tension to begin with. but we all covered whether it was good or not long ago.

but if there is one thing they did right with super was placing it before uub appearance, why ? because its important to tell the story of how they got to that point before telling the story of what happened after.
          when dragon ball z ended, we were told it was all complete peace for 10 years until goku too uub and left. but we dont know why or how in the blue hell goku decided he wants to be a teacher or where would he take uub. how did he even know of his existence. super is apparently placing the seeds for that new chapter to begin.
          Last edited by highwaysaiyan; 11-01-2019, 11:12 PM.

Comment

The Oob chapters were left open-ended in terms of power. All we know is that Goku was impressed with Oob's raw display of power which means he's *probably* close to Pure Boo in power. He still acknowledged that the kid needed training. I think it's fine that Super takes place in the 10 year gap, we don't need another GT. What I did not like was that they skipped 5 years entirely for the sake of introducing Pan and Bulla as characters, it really shows how rushed it is and how whack the power-scaling is because of it.

Comment

There's no guarantee of a post-ending series having the kind of consequentialism or cast originality that some fans are hoping for. While it would leave the door open to such a possibility, plus Uub would have a greater chance of being made into a viable fighter, my opinion is that fine folk at Toei would likely feel inclined to continue producing content that they feel is more "safe" and marketable.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmeth View Post
                The Oob chapters were left open-ended in terms of power. All we know is that Goku was impressed with Oob's raw display of power which means he's *probably* close to Pure Boo in power. He still acknowledged that the kid needed training. I think it's fine that Super takes place in the 10 year gap, we don't need another GT. What I did not like was that they skipped 5 years entirely for the sake of introducing Pan and Bulla as characters, it really shows how rushed it is and how whack the power-scaling is because of it.
                GT could work out better than Super if Toei and Toriyama have the right mindset to re-develop it. GT has to give us a reason of why some things happen and the whole show cannot be too short. Then what I recommend them to do after that is make DBAF and jump to Super Saiyan 5 (white) and forget about blue, orange, yellow, and whatever they’re making right now.

Comment

I think it would have been better if it happen after. We're going to need some explanation as to why the EoZ fighters look far weaker than their Super counterparts. That and their being no mention of Whiz and all of the other God folk in Super.
                  Satisfaction is but a temporary staving off of desire in preparation for more dissatisfaction. Contentment is the elysium between these opposites.

Comment

The usual argument is that setting it between the defeat of Boo and the "epilogue" chapters robs the story of any tension since everyone is alive and well in that epilogue, but that no longer bothers me so much. Dragon Ball, these days, is less about "stakes" and more about creating spectacle, which is fine. The problem is that Super sucks at creating said spectacle; the recent Broly movie being an exception. That had pretty much zero "stakes" but was still a succesful piece of animated action, a "spectacle" that justifies itself simply by being good. It's what Super should've always been but couldn't really be with the shoddy production values of a 100+ episode-long shonen.

Still, I think setting it after the ten years would've made it (slightly) better, but not because of stakes or plot holes/narrative incongruencies (although it would fix plenty of those). I don't want these characters to be cryogenically preserved in the way people remember them in the last arc of the original. That's only good for marketing. I liked seeing the timeline moving forward, even if that didn't change the fundamental nature of the show.

Comment

I would actually say Broly did create stakes, but that's mostly because Broly wasn't in the epilogue, and therefore we have a bit of leeway in terms of his fate. As a whole however, I would say that dragon ball really doesn't even aim to create stakes in any meaningful sense (the dragon balls come to mind), and go entirely for spectacle, comedy, and the like. As such I really wouldn't say Super's setting in the timeline isn't really important, even if it does create continuities snafus.

Signature and Avatar by NinjaSushi

Comment

It's difficult to say. Does Super lacks a sense of tension and drama because we know the destination by virtue of the series taking place between 2 points of the original manga? Or is the series claustrophobic because the writers are focused on playing things safe? If its the former, placing Super after the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai might improve the quality, but there's still the issue of the gods to contend with. The gods unfortunately undermine the tension and drama when they're effectively a get out of jail free card. Almost a literal deus ex machina even. When Whis can rewind time to undo mistakes, or Zeno can be summoned when the Z-fighters have effectively lost, there's no sense of danger. These characters can trip up all they want, but the gods will save them. The only time that wasn't true was the Tournament of Power, and yes, that arc would in particular have benefited from a post manga placement, but the rest wouldn't. If the series is claustrophobic because the writers simply want to play it safe for easy money, then the series's placement simply doesn't matter. It would feel inconsequential, more so than the original series was, regardless. Even when the Dragon Balls saved the day, the characters grew from it. Everyone, besides Gohan in the anime, is a static character. There's no real growth. The series is too self contained, and I'm not entirely convinced that would change if the series was placed after the end of the manga. It's amazing really. Dragon Ball became over 12 times larger yet feels smaller than ever.

Comment

Interesting opinions, everyone. It seems that the general consensus is that it would have been better after the time skip, but it's uncertain.

For my part, I believe that like some people pointed out, it was best that they did it in the 10 year skip if they wanted to set stuff up(Mostly Uub), however, I also believe that if they were to continue it, it would be a smart move to do it past the 28th tournament. They would also need to make some adjustments, such as ridding of Beeurs, Whis and other such characters(An obvious example is Zeno). Goku & Vegeta, while it would be nice if they went away, would be a risky business move. Instead, keep them here but don't put the focus on them. Say they have important duties, or they have become too old for fighting and thus can't fight anymore, but they can tutor the younger generation with their knowledge.

Comment

i personally believe that super already retconned the time skip ending. well how could kid buu level still relevant after everything in super

makes no sense.

with super a huge chunk of that time skip is retconned.

only pan and uub remain thats it

Comment

Definitely yes, because currently right now Dragon Ball Super screws up the timeline right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X