Rotation Advertisements

We hope you enjoy your visit to this forum.

If you are reading this then it means you are currently browsing the forum as a guest, we don’t limit any of the content posted from guests however if you join, you will have the ability to join the discussions! We are always happy to see new faces at this forum and we would like to hear your opinion, so why not register now? It doesn’t take long and you can get posting right away.

Click here to Register!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Trunks' Tail
Topic Started: Sep 14 2011, 09:40 AM (1,524 Views)
Angelus
Member Avatar

I just realized Trunks throughout the DBZ anime(Baby/Future/History) is never shown with a tail. I highly doubt it was removed of screen when he was a baby because Vegeta would never allow it to happen. Even half Saiyans (like Gohan) had tails, so why didn't Trunks have one?
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SirParagon
Member Avatar
Sparking!

Maybe it's because the tail gene doesn't show up in all half-breeds? Perhaps Gohan was a rarity? Perhaps AT cbf continuing the tail shenanigans? who knows.
New Account: Spirit Metaphor

Voluntarism?

AllStarSuperman
Member Avatar

The whole recessive trait thing is a load of bollocks because SSJ or the awesome fighting abilities could just as easily be recessives as well. It's highly probable that AT simply forgot about the tails for F. Trunks, Trunks and Goten. With the franchise taking a different direction after the Frieza saga it's more than likely.
Posted Image

The Seventh Doctor
Member Avatar
President of Gallifrey

That's was I was wondering all the time. It could be Akira Toriyama simply forgot to add in the tails for Trunks and Goten, or removed them for story-wise.
Posted Image

Frankie

I would guess its like what you said, either they didn't decide to add it because some half breeds may no have a tail or maybe his father did blow it off?

+ lunar2
Member Avatar

krillin asked bulma what happened to baby trunks' tail, and she said she removed it, iirc. this was right before #19 and #20 attacked.

edit: ch. 337 pg. 9 krillin asked about trunks' tail, but bulma doesn't answer. still, that means that akira toriyama didn't simply forget about it. and he suggested through krillin that it was removed.
Edited by lunar2, Sep 14 2011, 01:30 PM.
list of canon sources:

the DB manga, and the Dr. Slump manga as it applies to the crossover during the rra saga.

list of non canon sources:

everything else, regardless of origin, format, or quality.

for those that blindly follow word of god

+ ObsessiveFanGirl
Member Avatar
The Sexy Debater

Toriyama would never forget about something like that. After months of planning the sagas after Frieza, he would have realized that something was wrong and would have remembered the tail. I can tell you from both an artist's and a writer's perspective that a creator never forgets any traits of his creations if he's been drawing/writing them long enough. :p

The real answer is easy to figure out: Toriyama didn't want to include the whole "Saiyan going ape" storyline again because it had already been told a few times and it was getting old. That and it had lost all of its nostalgia after the Super Saiyan was introduced. It would be pointless and would only take up time.

That is why neither Trunks nor Goten have a tail. :D
~Deviantart~
~Tumblr~
~Youtube~
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

J-Smack
Member Avatar

Totally agree, Madam. I think it simply wasn't the direction AT wanted to go at that time.

Using Mendelen genetics, all half-saiyans should have tails; lunar pointed this out to me, I believe.
darkwarrior

has anyone ever stopped to think that maybe Trunks just bought his sword somewhere or something? There's nothing really special about it.

Y2J

Well it did manage to slice Frieza into a shishkebab so it must've been packing more power than your average blade. Hell even Zelda's sword couldn't pull off that ****.

ObsessiveFanGirl

I don't believe in power levels after the Frieza Saga. :D
Now, there's an idea.

+ lunar2
Member Avatar

yeah. the tail gene is either dominant or recessive. if it is recessive, then no hybrid would have a tail, because they only have one copy of the gene, and 2 copies are required to produce an effect.

if it is dominant, then only 1 copy of the gene is required to have a tail, but simple logic dictates that since every known saiyan has a tail, they must have 2 copies of the gene anyway, or else some saiyans wouldn't have tails.

so x = tail o= no tail

goku, vegeta x,x 2 copies of gene

gohan, goten, trunks, bra x,o one copy of gene. since the gene is dominant, they are all born with tails, which are removed either at birth or early childhood.

pan, other second generation hybrids 50% x,o 50% o,o since each hybrid only has one copy of the tail gene, each second generation hybrid has a 50% chance of inheriting the tail gene.

3rd generation hybrids 25% x,o 75% o,o the half of the 3rd generation hybrids born to the tailed 2nd generation hybrids each have a 50% chance of inheriting the tail, while the half born to the tailless hybrids have no chance of inheriting tails.

in each following generation, the percentage of hybrids that inherit the tail gene will be 1/2 of the generation before.
list of canon sources:

the DB manga, and the Dr. Slump manga as it applies to the crossover during the rra saga.

+ ObsessiveFanGirl
Member Avatar
The Sexy Debater

^^^^

Basic genetics right there! So glad I took Biology. :D
~Deviantart~
~Tumblr~
~Youtube~
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

J-Smack
Member Avatar

Mutations could exist, though, especially in the case of different species breeding. I guess Trunks and Goten would have to be the mutants, though.
darkwarrior

has anyone ever stopped to think that maybe Trunks just bought his sword somewhere or something? There's nothing really special about it.

Y2J

Well it did manage to slice Frieza into a shishkebab so it must've been packing more power than your average blade. Hell even Zelda's sword couldn't pull off that ****.

ObsessiveFanGirl

Now, there's an idea.

+ lunar2
Member Avatar

well, like i mentioned above, the possibility of trunks' tail being removed was mentioned in the manga, but it was never specified either way.

i don't see how 2 different hybrids from 2 different bloodlines could have the same mutation, though.
list of canon sources:

J-Smack
Member Avatar

It'd be pretty improbable.
darkwarrior

Y2J

ObsessiveFanGirl

Now, there's an idea.

Kamikaze Pyro
Member Avatar
Death Incarnate

"Saiyan genes have an extraordinarily good compatibility with Earthling blood. Because of this, when the two races are mixed together children with formidable power are born. Particularly, those Halflings born without tails hide an exceptional battle power. There are many things that they naturally master from a young age, such as the ordinarily arduous transformation into a Super Saiyan. In spite of having such an outstanding battle sense, they do not have a fondness for battle like a pure Saiyan. Instead, it seems that the violent temperament of the Saiyan has been relaxed through their Earthling blood."

That's what D4 says anyway. Source: http://kanzentai.com/trans-daiz04.php?m=02&id=race#link

Maybe not an explanation, but it's something. Here it indirectly states Goten and Trunks were born without tails.
Edited by Kamikaze Pyro, Sep 16 2011, 03:08 PM.
Posted Image

"Prepare yourselves. The bells have tolled. Shelter your weak, your young and your old. Each of you shall pay the final sum. Cry for mercy. The reckoning has come."

"Once you let the darkness inside, it never comes out."

YU-GI-OH! Battle City Adventures

+ lunar2
Member Avatar

but that makes no sense from any logical standpoint.
list of canon sources:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Dragonball/Z Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme by Sith of outlineforum.com and themeszetaboards.com