Rotation Advertisements

We hope you enjoy your visit to this forum.

If you are reading this then it means you are currently browsing the forum as a guest, we don’t limit any of the content posted from guests however if you join, you will have the ability to join the discussions! We are always happy to see new faces at this forum and we would like to hear your opinion, so why not register now? It doesn’t take long and you can get posting right away.

Click here to Register!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Why is Yamcha so useless?
Topic Started: May 31 2009, 05:24 PM (31,185 Views)
Captain Ginyu
Member Avatar

It's funny. Yamcha does all this training to fight the big baddies, yet never really fights them in the first place. Here's proof Yamcha's useless:

Trains for Saiyans: Blown up in first fight pretty quickly.

Trains for Frieza with King Kai: Never gets to fight him.

Trains for the androids: Gets severely hurt by Gero, gets healed then insists on flying Goku back. Even before the androids came he acted like a scared little pussy when the sensed Mecha Frieza.

Was there really any point of him being there? In my opinion, he only helped by being an extra target so some attacks may not have been aimed at the other Z fighters.
YOU CAN TUNE A PIANO, BUT YOU CAN'T TUNE A FISH!!! - Tien Shinhan

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mz.Chany
Member Avatar

I wish he was useful cause he can be really strong but he is so scary lol but i dunno why he is so useless even in the buu saga he becomes even useless krillin is more strong than him in the buu saga
[Posted Image

* Mitas
Member Avatar
I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.

Well he was a main, important character in Dragonball so I think Akira Toriyama just wanted to keep him involved in Z. He just fell victim to the Saiyans power like most of the non-Saiyan characters on DBZ.
Posted Image

The sky is falling, the wind is calling; stand for something or die in the morning.......HiiiPoWeR

"Does she have no honour then?"
"Honour? She is a ruler, boy. Honour is a cloak she wears when it suits her. Do not look for ordinary virtues among rulers."

+ Mc Esse
Member Avatar

1)Yamcha did not have a lead role in Z
2) He was human
3) He was caught up with girl problems

He was also pretty useless in Dragonball, he had maybe one or two highlights that are worth remebering. He was never a great fighter.
Edited by Mc Esse, May 31 2009, 08:08 PM.

ShadowLeader
Member Avatar

He is useless because he was never a popular character, he was too obsessed with women and other things and obviously he just never really had any talent. He was just an introductory villain and the first to turn to Goku's side, as was custom in Dragonball. I honestly dont know why Akira Toriyama even included him at all in any of the battles after Dragonball ended.
Posted Image

Pookie
Member Avatar
Pookie Powa!

Yamcha was mainly a character for laughs. I mean he was never serious about training, and when he was, it was at times where there were better fighters. He was too concerned with women to be truly serious about fighting.
Posted Image

SSJVegito
Member Avatar
Ally to good. Nightmare to you.

He was a big cry baby. End of story. All he did was cry about they were all dead all the time.

Revol

I wouldn't say he was "useless". In a way he saved Goku's life when Goku was having that heart attack when fighting Android 19. If Yamcha hadn't got him back in time Goku would have died.

Now Chiaotzu. There's a pointless character for you.

Kuma
Member Avatar

Totally agree with Mitas. In the end mostly DBZ chars that were more important were the ones that could turn super saiyan.
Posted Image

Cellgeta
Member Avatar

Yamcha had a key role in Dragonball but in DBZ he was useless. I don't think he is a waste. He does add character to the series but he did get annyoing when he was always fearing the worst.
Posted Image

+ Rebel X
Member Avatar

I don't think he was useless.

No character was useless other wise they wouldn't have been created and put through to the next series. An example is Launch, she became a big part of the the original Dragonball Series but you don't see her in DBZ. She became something noone needed.

Yamcha was one of the best warriors when Goku was growing up, He was known as the Desert Bandit and was feared. He had alot of issues with women in Dragonball. He would always get nervous and scared around them but it took an opposite affect in DBZ. He was able to handle being around women and was adored by many. In the Saiyan saga if he hadn't fought against the Saibamen the Z warriors would be in trouble because they could have found out its ability to self-explode too late. In the Android saga he finds the androids first if they didn't have Yamcha it would've been hard to track the androids down. The next target could've been anyone. In the Buu saga everyone in your definition was "useless". Gohan, Goku, Goten, Vegeta, and Trunks were the only ones who fought and stood a chance.

I understand that all these things are just little but they're something. The Z warriors would've eventually figured out the saibamen, they eventually could've found the androids. Although, we don't know what the consequences would've been. Yamcha was the reason noone died to quick. They were always careful after Yamcha died.

Another aspect of Yamcha many don't consider is the Reality check he brings to the series. He shows humanities greed, power, and strength. He always wanted money from the dragon to make them rich. He always had this determination like Goku, Vegeta, Gohan and the others to become stronger and help out. He showed how far humans could infact go in a series where you find outer space aliens, big giant apes, androids and monsters that have the ability to blow up the earth, and a boy eventually becoming a God. He was the only character I remember actually working hard to make a living. In the movies and in the Imperfect Cell Saga he earned money to buy this new plane that was used by the characters from time to time when they weren't flying.

I don't think Yamcha was useless. I think he was definitely weak compared to others but not useless.

Posted Image

Fused
Member Avatar

He's just comic relief. Look at all those classic DB characters that become useless in DBZ. What role do they play? They're the humour in the series. Apart from Goku's stupidity, and Vegeta's awesomeness.

Elindor
Member Avatar

Goku is not stupid Matt...he's just...innocent? xD Anyway he pwns Videl any time.

I think Yamcha was just another familiar face to say a few lines and keep the show going apart from the main direction.
Posted Image

NEW EGGS CLICKEH!

Posted Image - Posted Image - Posted Image - Posted Image - Posted Image

* Mitas
Member Avatar
I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.

The thing is that a lot of fans see that a character doesn't fight e.g Yamcha, and think "oh he's useless". He's there to add something to the show, with most of these characters it's comedy relief from the storylines. Also like Revol said, he saved Goku's life in the Android Saga.

A lot of DBZ fans tend to think something along the lines of "He can't go SSJ, therefore he shouldn't be included".
Posted Image

The sky is falling, the wind is calling; stand for something or die in the morning.......HiiiPoWeR

"Does she have no honour then?"
"Honour? She is a ruler, boy. Honour is a cloak she wears when it suits her. Do not look for ordinary virtues among rulers."

* Bex
Member Avatar
The Bex Damn Thing

It would appear that Yamcha is indeed useless. He was reluctant to be brought back into the show anyway, considering his baseball career and female troubles. He still seemed quite confident and maybe arrogant at the beginning, showing spirit that he could still beat some of the best fighters out there, but was put back in his place when he was blown up. I suppose after he died he became more cautious. However, I think the key term is support. Yamcha and Tien mainly, were the real support characters. They weren't major characters anymore, and they were only really there to serve as aid and backup to Goku and the other main characters at that time like Gohan, Krillin and Piccolo.

I think that the position between minor and major characters definately shifts around during the DBZ series, but Yamcha's position almost always remains as a supporting character, much like Tien. Both of them only have 1 or 2 heroic moments between them over the course of the series, whereas Gohan, Krillin and Piccolo shift between minor and major. Piccolo and Gohan start as main along with Goku in the first episode and remain that way until Piccolo is killed. Krillin then becomes a main character after Piccolo's death and Gohan, krillin and Goku are involved in fights with Vegeta on Earth. In a way, Goku drops out as the main character for a while when Gohan and Krillin are at Namek, but is then reinstated when he arrives there himself. Piccolo is then put into a main character role again when he is revived and so on. Yamcha's height of influence is the moment he rescues Goku from Android 19, and that period is not long enough to concider himself a major character, just a support character in action. He wasn't drafted into the script for anything more than this.

Posted Image
Posted Image
..:: Avril Lavigne: Celebrity Idol Champion ~ | ~ The official Series 2 Winner! ::..

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Dragonball/Z Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme by Sith of outlineforum.com and themeszetaboards.com