Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Rotation Advertisements

We hope you enjoy your visit to this forum.

If you are reading this then it means you are currently browsing the forum as a guest, we don’t limit any of the content posted from guests however if you join, you will have the ability to join the discussions! We are always happy to see new faces at this forum and we would like to hear your opinion, so why not register now? It doesn’t take long and you can get posting right away.

Click here to Register!

If you are having difficulties validating your account please email us at admin@dbzf.co.uk

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Insatiable & Fat-shaming
Topic Started: Aug 8 2018, 09:49 PM (202 Views)
+ Emmeth
Member Avatar
I Yoeri

So the new Netflix series 'Insatiable' with Debby Ryan and Alyssa Milano has been met with a lot of criticism for putting shame on fat people.

In the show Debby Ryan plays Patty, an overweight girl who undergoes a huge transformation after an operation she had to do because of being hit in the face; because of this she loses a lot of weight and ends up being thin and popular. She then goes on a revenge spree for all the hurt she has been exposed to.

Here's a few articles about the show and the controversy around it:

https://nordic.businessinsider.com/netflix-insatiable-is-not-the-woke-show-it-thinks-it-is-its-an-offensive-mess-that-goes-beyond-fat-shaming-2018-8?r=US&IR=T

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/aug/08/insatiable-netflix-comedy-fat-shaming

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/insatiable-tv-series-fat-lose-weight-body-positive-a8480796.html

We probably all agree that fat-shaming is a mean and hurtful thing to do, but what do you think of the backlash the show has gotten because of this?

Personally I think it's very silly argument that's being made here. It has SJW (Social Justice Warrior) written all over it and I dont think they would've made so much fuss about it if it was released 10 years ago. Political correctness has gone too far, imo.
I should probably mention that I am fat myself and I don't think this show is trying to shame fat people.
Posted Image
My Twitch Page
Member Offline View Profile Quote Post Goto Top

+ Ssj3vegito96
Member Avatar

I’ve never seen the show but it sounds like it isn’t fat shaming. If anything it’s against the fat shamers because she’s going after them
IT'S CHEESE
Posted Image
Spoiler: click to toggle

Darker
Member Avatar
The Lord of the Dark

This is like complaining about bully characters just because they're bullies, bullying a common thing that has been depicted in movies and shows since forever, bad as it might be, it's not encouraging kids to bully others (or at least, I've never seen it like that).

I'd understand people being bothered by this show if the main character was the one fat shaming, but the OP just says that it's people doing this to the main character, so... what's the issue here?
Posted Image

If only there was somewhere you could hide...

Dankness Lava
Member Avatar
Dankness Forever

What is an example of fat shaming?
Posted Image

+ Ssj3vegito96
Member Avatar

Dankness Lava
Aug 9 2018, 05:59 PM
What is an example of fat shaming?
“You need to lose weight. It’s not healthy and you don’t look as good as you could”

Might be an extreme example

I see fat shaming as a possible issue only when it’s directed at one person. Shaming obesity as a whole needs to be done and nobody should have a problem with it unless we start making billboards that say “f*** YOU FAT ASSES YOURE DISGUSTING YOURE RUINING THE WORLD”
IT'S CHEESE
Posted Image
Spoiler: click to toggle

+ Son-Goku
Member Avatar
孫悟空

I don't think the intention of this is to fat shame at all and I don't think its doing that. Again, it's just something for people to latch onto and lash out at others. People literally look at these kinds of things with the mind set of trying to find how they can tear it down.
Posted Image
RP Character Bios
Dragon Ball Super: The Super Human
Dragon Ball Super: Preparation for the Tournament of Power

Dankness Lava
Member Avatar
Dankness Forever

I don't see why that example you gave is bad, Vegito.
Posted Image

PF18
Default Avatar

The premise of the show is supposed to be interesting and entertaining and if people get offended by it then that is there problem. If we adhere to political correctness in all of our entertainment then we limit ourselves to the tiny bubble that is things that are not considered offensive in today's society.

+ Steve
Default Avatar

Yeah I've heard of this, I wasn't quite sure what the plot was but Jesus, people just WANT to be mad about things.

How the hell is that fat shaming? Recognizing the different faces of society isn't fat shaming.
She becomes skinny and popular? OUTRAGEOUS
Please don't mind the fact that in virtually every group of "popular" people they're almost all skinny and attractive save for the very very occasional fat one.
Popularity is extremely superficial and that's such an obvious thing.

What annoys me about all this fat shaming s***e is...some people don't want to be fat? I get that some people are happy with their bodies and don't want to or can't be bothered losing weight but ehm...not everything is about them so...yeah, for the people who do want to lose weight and do hate their bodies because of said weight, what people often define as "shaming" is rather encouraging.
Not that I condone bullying but as an extreme example I've seen so many stories where someone was like 300lb's and got bullied for it then they lost all their weight to get back at the people who made fun of them.
Why is that a bad thing?

Telling fat people being in such a state is unhealthy shouldn't be controversial, it's just fact.
Plenty people need the wake up call and they quite often get it once they have a stroke or get diabetes.
there is no set

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
« Previous Topic · Deep Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme Designed by McKee91