Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Rotation Advertisements

We hope you enjoy your visit to this forum.

If you are reading this then it means you are currently browsing the forum as a guest, we donít limit any of the content posted from guests however if you join, you will have the ability to join the discussions! We are always happy to see new faces at this forum and we would like to hear your opinion, so why not register now? It doesnít take long and you can get posting right away.

Click here to Register!

If you are having difficulties validating your account please email us at admin@dbzf.co.uk

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Characters MCU has made you like and/or dislike?
Topic Started: Aug 8 2018, 03:13 PM (267 Views)
+ Son-Goku
Member Avatar
孫悟空

What characters have the MCU movies made you like that you didn't really care for and which ones did they make you dislike but liked before. If you still like or dislike them out of the movies, that's fine too.

Loki- I never really cared for him much beforehand, as he looked eh and didn't have much to him imo. However, the MCU made him very interesting and cool. He's become one of my favorites easily.

Thor- This one has changed, but the first Thor movie made me dislike him. But Ragnarok and Infinity War have made me like the character again.

Iron Man- Boring character until Robert Downey Jr. imo.

Black Widow- She was always interesting to me and Idk, I couldn't say that I necessarily liked her. But MCU definitely made me dislike her.

Hawkeye- He's grown on me a little bit, but I still dislike him in the movies.

Captain America- I absolutely dreaded him in anything until his movie and it was one of my favorites at the time. He easily rose to one of my favorites.
Posted Image
RP Character Bios
Dragon Ball Super: The Super Human
Dragon Ball Super: Preparation for the Tournament of Power
Member Offline View Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Darker
Member Avatar
The Lord of the Dark

Well technically this is more of a "you liked the Earth-616/other Earth versions of these characters? Yes? No? Since you've watched these movies do you now like/dislike the MCU/Earth-199999 versions, even though they're different?" thread. Lemme see some of the ones you brought up.

Loki's always been a serious menace, but the MCU diminished him to a goon working for Thanos. He's fittingly the first villain the Avengers face, as it was in the comics, but he's hardly as big a threat as he is for the team, especially after the Asgardians were turned into an alien race and not actual gods.

Cap is still s***. <_<

The things they did to Thor... My god.

Black Widow is even worse than any of her other counterparts, she steals the spotlight too much and is clearly on the side of good. Also what the hell was up with that love subplot with Banner? That was pointles and weird considering Bruce already has Betty...

Iron Man didn't change much from Earth-616 to Earth-199999, other than he got slightly more jokey but also more exaggerated in his stupid decisions. I'll give the MCU that, Stark is somewhat pretty comic book-accurate, Stan Lee even claimed he saw in Robert what he saw in Tony when he first made him.

Posted Image

Considering there are so many MCU characters I despise (MCU Hulk especially), I suppose I could go down the list of characters that were given the respect they deserved.

Off the top of my head, the Destroyer. He looked and acted like the original, though he was a bit weaker when on average he's fairly stronger than Thor. I think his design could've been a little better (he sometimes dons a sword) but he looked great still

Posted Image

And uh... Who else?

Hm. I guess nobody else, just the Destroyer.
Edited by Darker, Aug 8 2018, 11:15 PM.
Posted Image

If only there was somewhere you could hide...

Billa
Member Avatar
Thala na Gethu!

1. Love

Knew nothin bout Hulk. Watched The Incredible Hulk (2008) instantly fascinated by his dual personality & anger management complex thx to Edward Norton's portrayal

Scared of Spiderman as kid. Watched Sam Raimi's trilogy. LOVED IT!!!!

Felt the generic name "Captain Murica" to be typical pro-America propaganda. Watched "Winter Soldier" & instantly became a fan of Cap. Beauty is, Winter Soldier added value to its predecessor, Captain America: The First Avenger & Russo Brothers knocked it completly out of the park with Civil War

2. Hate

Spidey reboot with Andrew jokefield & now lanky Tom Holland

GoTG 1 & 2. Never really liked yapping racoon, Drax (Batista's bland acting) & Starlord's antics

Thor 2: Dark World just single handedly destroyed every god-will earned by Thor (2011) directed greatly by Kenneth Branagh & Taika Watiti's wacky tone simply doesnt fit. It was Infinity War's 1 mins badassery thx to Russo Brother's (Bring me Thanos!!!! & I told you...you'll die for that) that gave Thor slightest....redemption

Darker
Member Avatar
The Lord of the Dark

Billa
Aug 9 2018, 01:56 AM
Scared of Spiderman as kid. Watched Sam Raimi's trilogy. LOVED IT!!!!
Not MCU though lol

The Raimiverse is comfortably sitting on Earth-96283, faaar from the MCU (which is Earth-199999).
Posted Image

+ Son-Goku
Member Avatar
孫悟空

I feel like Tom Holland is really the only one who has successfully pulled off a good Spider-Man character. The other two massively failed imo.
Posted Image
RP Character Bios

Darker
Member Avatar
The Lord of the Dark

Son-Goku
Aug 9 2018, 02:32 PM
I feel like Tom Holland is really the only one who has successfully pulled off a good Spider-Man character. The other two massively failed imo.
What makes you say that?
Posted Image

+ Son-Goku
Member Avatar
孫悟空

Darker
Aug 9 2018, 02:56 PM
Son-Goku
What makes you say that?
I just think he fills the role of Spider-Man well. He also plays off the comedy that Spider-Man is supposed to have. The first actor (can't remember his name) was just a bad actor in general. The second (don't remember his name either) was just weird and awkward, he didn't feel like a natural Spider-Man in the slightest.
Posted Image
RP Character Bios

+ Steve
Default Avatar

I'll be rating based on either prior knowledge or initial MCU thoughts vs now, for ones I like:

Iron Man for definite, I enjoyed the cartoon back in the day but Iron Man as a character never interested me, I was kinda more of a fan of War Machine and his big cocking gun at the time.
He's a little bit boring at this point in the MCU but it's hard not to be fatigued after so many movies.

Captain America.
As much as I want to hate him and don't much care for his ideals, despite being massively overpowered he's still hella fun to watch on screen.

Hawkeye is pretty cool, I like how he's the kind of straight man of the group. Green Arrow is way cooler but I came around to Hawkeye. And now he'll probably never appear again :rofl:

The rest are characters I never really seen enough of to form an opinion or whom haven't been in the verse enough for me to have one, like Spider-Man. I guess he was decent in Homecoming but a bit too Iron Boy.

Dislike

Loki.
I thought he was fairly fun at first and then honestly I didn't give a s*** about him in Avengers, he didn't feel like a strong villain to me.
"I have an army!" but...but what do YOU have? Why are you a villain?
He's always just seemed kind of pathetic to me and it's always obvious when he's betraying folk, yeah I know he's the God of Mischief but when you know exactly what a character is going to do all the time it loses it's appeal fast.

Hulk.
He's just a boring mindless ape, Ragnarok gave him some character but he still never gets to do anything good. Watching Hulk punch a bunch of pathetic weak enemies isn't entertainment to me.
Banner is largely well acted by Ruffalo but he went from being quite a damaged, even depressed individual to just being some lame goofball and I doubt that will change going forward, unless he finally gets his own movie.

Doctor Strange.
I love Benedict Cumberbach but Doctor Strange in this verse is...he's kinda just Magic Iron Man? Magic is cool and all but it's basically just the power of convenience, we have no connection to what level of power or skill he has at all he just does whatever.
He's the sort of character I feel doesn't deserve another movie because he's clearly went on some massive journey without us between his movie and Infinity War.

I wouldn't say I hate the character of Thor, I don't particularly like him either but I do hate how wasted he is in this series.
He has easily the most tragic story going but they never do anything with his character, maybe his jokes and whatnot are a self defence mechanism or maybe he's just another MCU character who's life has next to no affect on who they are.
I lost an eye my mother, father, brother, evil big sister and all my people just died...eh I guess I'm a little bit angry.
there is no set

Dbzk1999
Default Avatar

Steve
Aug 9 2018, 08:44 PM
He has easily the most tragic story going but they never do anything with his character, maybe his jokes and whatnot are a self defence mechanism or maybe he's just another MCU character who's life has next to no affect on who they are.
I lost an eye my mother, father, brother, evil big sister and all my people just died...eh I guess I'm a little bit angry.
If it means anything, IW actually does show that itís a self-defence mechanism that heís putting up (that scene with rocket showingnit in particular)
Posted Image

Until the Battle is Won

USMA 2021

+ Steve
Default Avatar

Yeah, there are hints but it's something they should focus on more.

Like how Iron Man 3 detailed Tony's PTSD quite a lot, not the greatest movie overall but that character piece was decent. Even if they ignored his alcoholism(perhaps because of RDJ's past) they humanized him a lot.

Now that Thor has no people I hope there's a point where he just stops and has a "Holy s*** I have nothing" moment.
But I suppose they'll probably all pop out of nowhere and everything will be fine, Loki magicked them to safety somehow.
there is no set

+ Pyrus
Member Avatar

Captain America - I didn't care much about him in his first movie but he was tolerable. I thought he was pretty good in Winter Soldier, Avengers, and Age of Ultron. Now I hate seeing the guy. He was atrocious in Civil War, and only slightly less nauseating in Infinity War. His goody two shoes routine is abysmal, but maybe that's the point.

Thor - I thought he was the worst part of these movies until Infinity War. I didn't even bother with Ragnarok because I thought he was just that bland (and still haven't seen more than a few minutes of it, only because of Hela). But he was rather enjoyable in IW and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him now.

Loki - Right behind Thor, I didn't care for Loki. I don't mind his portrayal, but the fanboyism surrounding him puts me off. When I saw that he was the villain in Avengers, I rolled my eyes. His involvement/focus has gotten smaller after Avengers, ignoring the solo Thor movies which I do, so that's good. His small part in IW was just fine, and I hope he's actually gone this time, although unlikely. And Thanos is a better villain by a wide margin.
Spoiler: click to toggle

+ Steve
Default Avatar

Yeah the hype around Loki makes me like him a lot less too, he was always toted as the best MCU villain and...just not really? He's literally just a very sarcastic guy who tricks people, that is his whole character. He has like a few good scenes in the whole series.

Even Iron Monger felt cooler to me though being played by Jeff Brigdes helps. He felt much more threatening and evil.
Loki just seems like a spoiled child, again yeah he's the God of Mischief whatever but as a villain he's in no way scary or intimidating and he doesn't hatch huge epic plans like the guy who set up Civil War.
there is no set

+ QueenTD
Member Avatar
My Dear Melancholy,

Wait wait wait ...

"Loki- I never really cared for him much beforehand, as he looked eh and didn't have much to him imo. However, the MCU made him very interesting and cool. He's become one of my favorites easily."

Not much to him? Loki in the comics is FAR deeper than MCU.

"Iron Man- Boring character until Robert Downey Jr. imo."

A censored water down version of Tony Stark compare to the comics is just wow.

Y'all got me sounding like Darker. I love and adore the MCU.
Posted Image
Spoiler: click to toggle

Darker
Member Avatar
The Lord of the Dark

Son-Goku
Aug 9 2018, 06:17 PM
Darker
Aug 9 2018, 02:56 PM
Son-Goku
What makes you say that?
I just think he fills the role of Spider-Man well. He also plays off the comedy that Spider-Man is supposed to have. The first actor (can't remember his name) was just a bad actor in general. The second (don't remember his name either) was just weird and awkward, he didn't feel like a natural Spider-Man in the slightest.
And Tom Holland plays an awkward, helpless kid. That's never been Spider-Man, Maguire played a heroic Spider-Man through and through whereas Holland's character is more akin to Ultimate Spider-Man or Miles Morales than the original, minus the helplnesness because at least both Maguire and Garfield were competent, and played young and old Peter Parker a lot straighter and more faithfully. Well maybe not so much Garfield but I didn't exactly like the ASM movies.

Constant joking is also not Spider-Man's thing. He quips to his friends and enemies, not ALL the time. He's not Deadpool, Spidey's an entertaining and admirable superhero, not a joke.

Quote:

Y'all got me sounding like Darker. I love and adore the MCU.

lol, YES!
Posted Image

+ Steve
Default Avatar

I wouldn't even consider him Spider-Man yet, to me he's more like MoS Clark Kent who had powers but hadn't found their footing as a hero yet.

He is just a kid, he acts that part well but he's not much of a Spider-Man.
there is no set

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Television and Films · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme Designed by McKee91