Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Rotation Advertisements

We hope you enjoy your visit to this forum.

If you are reading this then it means you are currently browsing the forum as a guest, we donít limit any of the content posted from guests however if you join, you will have the ability to join the discussions! We are always happy to see new faces at this forum and we would like to hear your opinion, so why not register now? It doesnít take long and you can get posting right away.

Click here to Register!

If you are having difficulties validating your account please email us at admin@dbzf.co.uk

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Forum Domain/Name change
Topic Started: May 4 2018, 12:46 AM (1,310 Views)
Rockman
Member Avatar
hoighty-toighty

Several requests have been made to change the forum domain URL to something more current to help advance member registration and activity.
In this thread, make suggestions on what the URL should be, and what the name of the forum should be called. Please only post serious suggestions because they will later be used in a poll.

If you do not believe that the forum name and domain should change, feel free to state so. An option in the upcoming poll to not change will also be added.

Nothing definite has been decided. This is simply asking opinions at the moment.
Posted Image

JAke is a copyright of Spazo and Pickle Flavored Fudge Pops inc.
Member Online View Profile Quote Post Goto Top

+ Son-Goku
Member Avatar
孫悟空

Personally I think keeping the name and the domain is fine. I feel Super has been dying out tbh. Since the series started it's hiatus the activity in that section has dropped like a rock. This is my opinion about it changing to something Super related. But I think changing it would hurt more than help. But that's me.
Posted Image
"The only ones who should kill, are those who are prepared to be killed!" ― Lelouch vi Britannia

RP Character Bios
Dragon Ball Super: The Super Human
Dragon Ball Super: Preparation for the Tournament of Power

Tim
Member Avatar
Forum Royalty

To clarify from a technical side to it; changing the domain and name will cause our current visibility in google searches to drop off over time (if you recall when we used to have an old domain that some people used because it sat in google).

The gamble is whether the change is enough to bump us back up again with the new details, to ensure that people are actually able to access the site.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Member Offline View Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sam
Member Avatar
"Sometimes science is a lot more art than science. A lot of people don't get that."

I would say no to this proposition. Mostly for the reasons Tim said.

But Super was a dud for the most part and has ended. The window of opportunity to change was probably 2-3 years ago when it started or first announced. Doing so now may be suicidal. I was concerned about Super being in our Google listing. However, better late than never and that got done awhile back. Changing the domain name is a step too far, in my opinion.
Edited by Sam, May 4 2018, 02:52 AM.
WoW Legion Ending - Thank you Darker for making this into one, big incredible gif! <3

Wolf
Member Avatar
Shadow Realm >

Nvm not my business
Edited by Wolf, May 4 2018, 03:58 AM.
Posted Image

me&dingo

Shadow Realms Future

Sam
Member Avatar
"Sometimes science is a lot more art than science. A lot of people don't get that."

Or kill the forum outright by making us disappear from all lists. It is not off the table but it is an undeniably huge risk.

I might entertain a notion to add Super to the title but Tim seemed pretty certain it would cripple activity at least for a little while. Super also seems almost universally disliked to various extents. It also just ended. I personally want to try capitalizing on the next film release rather than looking backward.

I am not happy with the forum activity. However, I think there may be other ways of going about which do not involve something that could backfire hardcore and completely kill it. Are there any suggestions as to what the title or domain would be if you had to make a suggestion? I am sure Bryan meant to allow some debate on it but the primary focus are name change suggestions here for now.
Edited by Sam, May 4 2018, 03:46 AM.
WoW Legion Ending - Thank you Darker for making this into one, big incredible gif! <3

+ Emmeth
Member Avatar
I Yoeri

I think staff need to be more active in the community. I know most are, but it's important that important people in the community is present. I also think we just need to encourage members to post more. Not sure what could be done, but if they truly like the forum they will definitely help.
Look into other options for forum activity before taking changing forum name.

Changing the forum domain/name is a risk that may be worth taking, but it's a risk.
Question: Do you think co.uk is hindering new members from joining? Do you think changing it to a more global address like .com or .net will help?
Posted Image
My Twitch Page

+ Pointer
Member Avatar

I think we should keep it . For me its like if pepsi was renamed to supercola or something. The domain name speaks for itself and has its uniqueness. So dont change it

- admins should be more active though. I havent seen rogue since 2016. I
Edited by Pointer, May 4 2018, 07:17 AM.

Posted Image

+ Goggu
Member Avatar
Royal Guard.

I'd honestly say, in my opinion that changing the name of the Forum to something else is the best decision. It's a risky one, of course, for the reasons listed in this thread it is risky. But I still think we should take the chance. Z is old news, that is plain and simple, hardly anyone is going to be searching up "Dragon Ball Z Forum" to discuss a show that has ended 20 years ago. And this has been a thing for quite awhile with Super's explosive popularity, everyone is talking about Super, all the latest clickbait vidoes on Youtube are about Super in some form or another.

The only reason why the Super section is inactive is because the forum is inactive, and even then, it is still more active than the Z section.
Noice sig from Sushi

Nyah

Tinny
Member Avatar

If there was a time to change it to Super, it's long passed, if we're to change the domain name, we will absolutely need to time it correctly, doing it after Super has ended is... Well that seems to be the worst possible option, Z is timeless while Super is recent and has yet to stand the test of time and such. If we do change it, I'd say to wait until Super comes back (or if it gets a new name change it to that).

I'd keep the name for now, if we change it at all. Either until the movie is out or the new show is out, until then changing the name is destroying our Search Engine Optimization for a tag that's long past. Ultimately I'm worried that if we change it to DBSF, we'll be chasing a fad that we don't catch, and only result in making it nearly impossible for anyone not already looking for this site specifically to find us. And I know that'll happen if we change it right now, and not when Super returns.

@Emmeth
And admittedly... I don't know, dbzf(.)com or net could help, but I have my doubts about that being what's stopping people, hell autofill tends to do it for you once you've already been there, and links well, link there.

In any case, this is extremely far from a light decision, and I encourage the admins to think about it as hard as they can.
Edited by Tinny, May 4 2018, 03:01 PM.
Posted Image
Above signature created by Graffiti

Posted Image

Notaka
Member Avatar
Always Wright

Just my two cents on this, but if the forum was to change the name I feel like it needs to be called DBF, without any Z or S, since most people who look for a Dragon ball forum will type these exact same words.

In short, I don't see it changing, since it's probably hard to do and it might lose its spot in the listing. One thing I do agree on, however, is getting rid of .co.uk and simply replace it with .com
This site is probably the only site I ever go to that has .co.uk in the end.

Dbzf.com sounds better to me. Or maybe if there's way to have "DBZf.com" redirect here that could work.
Posted Image
"My name is Kakyoin Noriaki!"

Thanks to Graffiti for the Sig!

Posted Image

+ Green
Member Avatar
Flashy Thing!

Notaka
May 4 2018, 03:14 PM
Just my two cents on this, but if the forum was to change the name I feel like it needs to be called DBF, without any Z or S, since most people who look for a Dragon ball forum will type these exact same words.

In short, I don't see it changing, since it's probably hard to do and it might lose its spot in the listing. One thing I do agree on, however, is getting rid of .co.uk and simply replace it with .com
This site is probably the only site I ever go to that has .co.uk in the end.

Dbzf.com sounds better to me. Or maybe if there's way to have "DBZf.com" redirect here that could work.
This is what I was thinking and I did a quick google search of "Dragon Ball forum" and we are number 3. The name change won't help us much from my perspective.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Don't you ever worry that you're on the Devil's side without even knowing it? - DCI John Luther
Black power ranger; I do not belong... B.o.B - Mr. Mister

Strawberry
Member Avatar
Chiaroscuro ♥

I think the name is absolutely fine and we're already at the top searches for "dragon ball forum", which is the only thing we could really ask for to continue to have people finding us. But I do agree that having "uk" in the domain may make us look a bit more exclusive than we perhaps intend to come across.

I'm definitely not one to talk since I'm anything but consistently active these days, but first and foremost people should consider improving activity on the forum by actually engaging in conversation here rather than leaving the majority of it for discord. I know instant time messaging is gratifying as hell, but a lot of the discussions that go on over discord could perfectly happen here as well and at the end of the day this platform should be the heart of the community -- not the other way around.

Posted Image

Posted Image
♪ ♥ ♫
Across The Universe

Graffiti
Member Avatar
MGD.

After a long time of using the Royalty theme, I decided to change it up and use the new one. It looks pretty neat I'd have to say.
DBZF Original, 2005-present

Posted Image
"When backed into a corner, you are the most fearsome fighter!"
Piccolo

[Portifolio | Str8 Outta Namek (DBZF's only Hip Hop Club) | MyAnimeList]

+ Pyrus
Member Avatar

I don't think a name change would do anything. Places like Kanzenshuu don't have Dragon Ball in their forum name but have a huge backing within the community. They set themselves apart. What can this forum do to set itself apart from others and attract more people? I doubt an RPG would do it. Back in the old MFG days, that site had a main web page filled with information that would eventually reel people into the forum. Perhaps having our own actual website front and center would be beneficial, and having the forum be an intriguing option for people who want to talk about said information.
Spoiler: click to toggle

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Announcements · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme Designed by McKee91