Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Rotation Advertisements

We hope you enjoy your visit to this forum.

If you are reading this then it means you are currently browsing the forum as a guest, we don’t limit any of the content posted from guests however if you join, you will have the ability to join the discussions! We are always happy to see new faces at this forum and we would like to hear your opinion, so why not register now? It doesn’t take long and you can get posting right away.

Click here to Register!

If you are having difficulties validating your account please email us at admin@dbzf.co.uk

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Read the next line in the book you are currently readin
Topic Started: Jan 31 2018, 01:10 PM (380 Views)
+ Emmeth
Member Avatar
I Yoeri

As the title says. Let's just make it a little game, let's read lines from books we are reading and see if we can make any sense of it (chances are we won't). Let's limit it to a passage or so.
This way we can also interest each other in the books we're readin.

Here goes:

"He worried about the american woman. Even if she had managed to get clear of Fritz-Todt Platz, the Gestapo could pull her in tomorrow. 'Routine questions, Fräulein... What is this envelope, please? ... How did you come by it? ... Describe the man who opened the case.... She was tough, with an actressy self-confidence, but in their hands she would not last five minutes."

From Fatherland by Robert Harris, 1992.
Posted Image
My Twitch Page
Member Offline View Profile Quote Post Goto Top

* Mitas
Member Avatar
It truly was a Shawshank redemption

This is a good idea for a topic. I have some Robert Harris books that I plan on reading at some point. He wrote some Ancient Rome historical fiction, which I'm a sucker for, so looking forward to reading those.

The riots lasted three days, beginning in the poorest section and spreading fast. Troops were called in from the surrounding areas, cavalry charging into the rioters. The death toll rose, and by the end of the third day some four hundred people were reported killed, and hundreds more injured.

The Legend of Deathwalker by David Gemmell. Pretty grim point in the book.
Posted Image
"Then you've got the chance to do better next time."
"Next time?"
"Course. Doing better next time. That's what life is."

Southern Gothic
Member Avatar
Dilly Dilly

The stoic philosophical attitude to people and events adopted by the Fuhrer today is very reminiscent of Frederick the Great. He says to me, for instance, that is essential to work for one's people but that there is a limit to what men can do. Who knows when the moon may not crash into the earth and this whole planet go up in flames and ashes.

Final Entries 1945: The Diaries of Joseph Goebells.

I've been on a massive WW2 kick lately. I think this is my fourth book in a row on the subject.

Edit: As of yet, the moon has not crashed into the Earth. Still waiting.
Edited by Southern Gothic, Jan 31 2018, 09:57 PM.
Posted Image

+ Emmeth
Member Avatar
I Yoeri

The telephone kiosk stank of urine and ancient cigarette smoke, a used condom had been trodden into the dirt. 'Come on, come on,' whispered March. He rapped a one-Reichsmark piece against the cloudy glass and listened to the electronic purr of her telephone ringing, unanswered. He let it ring for a long time before he hung up.

Same book as before.
Posted Image
My Twitch Page

TrunksinSwimmingTrunks
Member Avatar
Formerly known as daman

The rationale for reverse-engineering living things comes, of course, from Charles Darwin. He showed how "organs of extreme perfection and complication, which justly excite our admiration" arise not from God's foresight but from the evolution of replicators over immense spans of time.

How the Mind Works by Steven Pinker
kamizake pyro is a girl? olsiw

Make the old spam section viewable plz

+ Pelador
Member Avatar
Crazy Awesome Legend

Everywhere you go in Medieval England you will see disturbing signs of the rigid and frequent application of the law. Besides crossroads you will see gallows, the bedraggled bodies of naked thieves swinging heavily on creaking ropes. On city gates you will see the putrefying heads of traitors. In town pillories you will see fraudulent traders. In the villages you will find men and women in the stocks. Every county town has its gaol, normally in the castle. On every road in the kingdom you are likely to find someone heading to a court of some sort. Justice is very visible in Medieval England.

The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England by Ian Mortimer.

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/user/jonjits

+ Emmeth
Member Avatar
I Yoeri

14 July 1943
At last, after almost a year of repeated requests, I am given permission to undertake a full tour of inspection of the Auschwitz-Birkenau camp, on behalf of the Foreign Ministry. I land at Krakau airfield from Berlin shortly before sunset and spend the night with Governor-General Hans Frank, State Secretary Josef Buhler and their staff at Wawel Castle. Tomorrow morning at dawn I am to be picked up from the castle and driven to the camp (journey time: approximately one hour) where I am to be received by the Commandant, Rudolf Hoess.

Fatherland, Robert Harris.
Posted Image
My Twitch Page

* Mitas
Member Avatar
It truly was a Shawshank redemption

Evnis stood by his wife's bedside. And for now, his duties as King Brenin's counsellor were far from his mind. She was sleeping, her chest rising in shallow, bird-like breaths. He felt frustration in him like a weight, a raw anger at his uselessness. Her fingers twitched and he reached out, stroking the back of her hand.

Malice by John Gwynne.
Posted Image
"Then you've got the chance to do better next time."
"Next time?"
"Course. Doing better next time. That's what life is."

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Books & Comics · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme Designed by McKee91