Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Rotation Advertisements

We hope you enjoy your visit to this forum.

If you are reading this then it means you are currently browsing the forum as a guest, we donít limit any of the content posted from guests however if you join, you will have the ability to join the discussions! We are always happy to see new faces at this forum and we would like to hear your opinion, so why not register now? It doesnít take long and you can get posting right away.

Click here to Register!

If you are having difficulties validating your account please email us at admin@dbzf.co.uk

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
When There's Too Many Of Us
Topic Started: Jan 5 2018, 12:00 AM (523 Views)
+ Emmeth
Member Avatar
I Yoeri

What is the logical thing to do when the population of Earth gets to a certain point that there's just way too many of us?

Do we then try to colonize other planets? Build cities under water? Pre-emptively limit how many kids we can have, something similar to what China did many years ago? Make murder legal?

That last one is kind of a joke, but at the same time wouldn't that solve a lot?
Posted Image
My Twitch Page
Member Offline View Profile Quote Post Goto Top

+ Son-Goku
Member Avatar
孫悟空

The problem is, we're never going to get all of the countries to agree with something like that. People are too stubborn and there's always a large group of people who just disagree to disagree it feels like. I think it'll just blow up very negatively, I don't know how though. But likely we'll just over consume and run out of resources. I don't think there will be a resolution. There'll probably be a large die out of humans then we'll have to start over again. We're already over consuming as is, specifically the US. I mean, if everyone was like the average US citizen it'd take up like four entire earths. There's just too much ignorance and stubbornness for people to cooperate.
Posted Image
"The only ones who should kill, are those who are prepared to be killed!" ― Lelouch vi Britannia

RP Character Bios
Dragon Ball Super: The Super Human
Dragon Ball Super: Preparation for the Tournament of Power
Member Online View Profile Quote Post Goto Top

+ Pelador
Member Avatar
Crazy Awesome Legend

I believe that our population can't go above a certain number. I think we're limited by our food and water supply.

Still, I think that moving under water is a plausible idea. Colonising the solar system is more of a ways off than that. Unless some genius figures out warp drive in the next twenty years.

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/user/jonjits

+ Son-Goku
Member Avatar
孫悟空

How would that work even? Living underwater and I don't think that would need to be a resolution even. Our problem is going to be for resources, not living space.
Edited by Son-Goku, Jan 5 2018, 12:57 AM.
Posted Image
"The only ones who should kill, are those who are prepared to be killed!" ― Lelouch vi Britannia

RP Character Bios
Dragon Ball Super: The Super Human
Dragon Ball Super: Preparation for the Tournament of Power

+ Pelador
Member Avatar
Crazy Awesome Legend

It wouldn't be too much different to building structures on other planets or moons. We can grow crops indoors and we can recycle air. We don't even have to go that deep, so pressure's not the biggest problem. The biggest issue will be natural light. Studies have shown that we need it to stay healthy, even with artificial lighting in place. Perhaps there could be a dome that sits on the surface for the populace to take in the sun once in a while?

Posted Image

Darker
Member Avatar
The Lord of the Dark

Duh, USA will be USA and nuke the most populated countries.

Nah, we'll probably go extinct by the time there's too many of us. A war might occur, a few terrorists attacks here and there... Maybe history will repeat itself like it has so many times. Will a meteor fall and kill us all? Will a super volcano erupt and slowly intoxicate us?

Who knows? Might as well have a good time before all that happens, but this, of course, is a message for the future. We live in an era where we likely don't have to worry about this sort of thing. Our descendants will witness this extinction. Unfortunate for them, but good for us.
Posted Image

* Mitas
Member Avatar
It truly was a Shawshank redemption

Like someone said, I don't think living space will be the problem. Maybe in the far future, but we're far removed from completely overpopulating the planet space-wise. The main issue will be limited resources, in which case we won't have much choice in what happens if we aren't technologically advanced enough to overcome that.
Posted Image
"Then you've got the chance to do better next time."
"Next time?"
"Course. Doing better next time. That's what life is."

+ Steve
Member Avatar
Greetings. I will be your waifu this season.

I think we need to stop caring so much about individual freedom and care more about everything as a whole and how each individual affects that.

For instance, I shouldn't be able to go out and buy a tub of muffins or some s***, throw the tub away at a later date then get more. I should have to re-use the tub to get a refill of more muffins.
Resources wouldn't be so much of a problem if we were actually organized.

Everything in society needs reworked like that, including how often we have children of course.

It'd be greatly beneficial if you could either only have a certain amount of children or only within a certain time frame, some people plop one out every single year.
Imagine you could only have one every three years? That would make a huge impact.
Obviously can't do anything crazy like kill a child born when it shouldn't be but give incentives to wait, having an endless amount of children you can't look after with your own resources shouldn't be a right, if you can afford it go right ahead otherwise be sensible.

If it came to that, give more benefits to those with less children and if a family just goes f***ing nuts and has like 10 kids in 10 years(discounting twins etc), going further and further in to poverty, child services.
No excuse for being irresponsible like that.

As far as I'm concerned something along these lines should be happening now because we'll probably enforce it when it's too late and it'll no doubt be poorly organized in such a rush, and may verge on the lines of actually being barbaric out of desperation.

It's that or we effectively convert the planet in to one massive ugly city like something out of Star Wars, which would obviously be pretty disgusting of us to do.
Posted Image

Definitely not a succubus, fear not

Tinny
Member Avatar

That's a very long way out, far more than people realize. Most of the problems with the world in terms of overpopulation come from a problem of logistics, getting the stuff there, rather than there not being enough stuff. Though hypothetically, once we actually get to a high enough population that the Earth actually can't sustain us, or rather to the point where the problem is staring everyone in the face, the first ideas are not going to be underwater I think, rather I believe it will be more vertical space. Skyscrapers and more and more countries start adopting the crowded city of Tokyo as a standard for space saving. That said, before living space becomes a concern, I imagine we'll have figured out ways around the resource limit, likely taking from the moon, asteroids, possibly the asteroid belt and mars.

And as time goes on and conditions become worse, we will likely get colonists to wherever the hell we can spread, be it underwater, or on the moon, mars, random satellites in space, etc. Or if not enough people want to go, we Australia it, send the convicts there.
Posted Image
Above signature created by Graffiti

Posted Image

+ Pelador
Member Avatar
Crazy Awesome Legend

The USA might need to think about creating more terraced housing with smaller backyards. Splitting existing homes in two might help with space as well. I don't agree that vertically is the way to go. We tried that here in the 1960s and 70s and all we made were ugly tower blocks and crime hotspots.

Posted Image

+ Pyrus
Member Avatar

Limit people, or begin genetically doing so to make it impossible for future generations to have children. I would very much advocate for that. We don't need more people on this planet anyway.
Spoiler: click to toggle

Bad User
Member Avatar

Steve
Jan 5 2018, 09:16 PM
I think we need to stop caring so much about individual freedom and care more about everything as a whole and how each individual affects that.

For instance, I shouldn't be able to go out and buy a tub of muffins or some s***, throw the tub away at a later date then get more. I should have to re-use the tub to get a refill of more muffins.
Resources wouldn't be so much of a problem if we were actually organized.

Everything in society needs reworked like that, including how often we have children of course.
I don't know why, but for a moment there it sounded like communism.
Posted Image

Know'm Sayin'
Member Avatar
ZERO HOOTS GANG

I'll speculate that before over population becomes a real threat towards our food supplies mainly in 1st world countries, will be that the world powers will enforce a world wide 1 child policy.

R.I.P. 3pac; ZERO HOOTS GANG
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
« Previous Topic · Deep Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme Designed by McKee91