Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Rotation Advertisements

We hope you enjoy your visit to this forum.

If you are reading this then it means you are currently browsing the forum as a guest, we don’t limit any of the content posted from guests however if you join, you will have the ability to join the discussions! We are always happy to see new faces at this forum and we would like to hear your opinion, so why not register now? It doesn’t take long and you can get posting right away.

Click here to Register!

If you are having difficulties validating your account please email us at admin@dbzf.co.uk

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Why are orginal Dragon Ball era characters rarely playable?
Topic Started: Dec 15 2017, 11:15 AM (557 Views)
Gretnablue
Member Avatar

This is something I've been wondering for a while and now with Super characters appearing more often in games, my curiosity is peaked. Why is it that characters from the original era of Dragon Ball are rarely playable? Like Android 8, Tao Pai Pai, Launch, Colonel Violet, Tambourine, King Piccolo, Competent Yamcha, Kid Goku, Teen Chi Chi, Spike the Devil Man and Giran etc?

I find it especially odd considering GT characters are playable more often and given how the franchise has been more and more ignoring that branch, it seems odd the above characters get less love in game form, especially since Super hasn't been shy about bringing back characters and idea from that the King Piccolo, Pilaf and Red Ribbon arcs.

Is it a rights issue? I can't see power levels being a problem since that doesn't really factor into things.

I'm curious what the official reason is?
Member Offline View Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DBZAOTA482
Member Avatar

They just don't "blend" with the general gameplay style. Tenkaichi tried to implement them accurately and it didn't turn out well.

FighterZ could be their chances to shine though because unlike Budokai, Tenkaichi, and Xenoverse flight during combat is not necessary.
Edited by DBZAOTA482, Dec 16 2017, 05:36 AM.

* Mitas
Member Avatar
It truly was a Shawshank redemption

I imagine it's because it's not as popular or well-known among casual fans as Z onwards.
Posted Image
"Then you've got the chance to do better next time."
"Next time?"
"Course. Doing better next time. That's what life is."

+ Son-Goku
Member Avatar
孫悟空

My thoughts are the same as Mitas. I wish they would go back to what they did in the Budokai Tenkaichi games, those games still have the best rosters for what was out at the time.
Posted Image
RP Character Bios
Dragon Ball Super: The Super Human
Dragon Ball Super: Preparation for the Tournament of Power

* Mitas
Member Avatar
It truly was a Shawshank redemption

Yeah. The BT game I had for PS2 (I think it was 3) was brilliant. It had a lot of DB stuff on it, as well as Z & GT.
Posted Image
"Then you've got the chance to do better next time."
"Next time?"
"Course. Doing better next time. That's what life is."

Darker
Member Avatar
The Lord of the Dark

I don't think BT2 had any DB characters in it, so yeah in that case was BT3.

Arale, Nam, Pilaf and his crew, Android 8, Tao Pai Pai and his cyborg state, King Piccolo and Tambourine, etc. Lots of great additions.
Posted Image

If only there was somewhere you could hide...

Muyasuki
Member Avatar

Simple reason is likely flight. By Z; almost everyone can employ it. In Dragonball; it was much more rare.

+ Saiyan Paladin
Member Avatar

Muyasuki
Apr 15 2018, 08:55 PM
Simple reason is likely flight. By Z; almost everyone can employ it. In Dragonball; it was much more rare.
Yeah, but they have a playable Mr. Satan flying around with a jetpack now.
Member Online View Profile Quote Post Goto Top

+ Pointer
Member Avatar

In budokai tenkaichi 3 80 percent of the dragon ball characters are playable

Posted Image

Wolf
Member Avatar
Shadow Realm >

They are, people just don’t use them.
Posted Image

me&dingo

Shadow Realms Future

TrunksinSwimmingTrunks
Member Avatar
Formerly known as daman

I agree with Mitas. I'd say that for the most part, only old people with stuff fingers ill-suited to gaming watched Dragon Ball.

Another big issue is that a DB era game completely won't contain Vegeta or Gohan, who are two of the most iconic characters of the franchise. Even those who like DB never say that their favourite character is Tenshinhan or Oolong - it's always a character who was prominent in Z and often a character who was only introduced in Z.
kamizake pyro is a girl? olsiw

Make the old spam section viewable plz

“They've accepted their hopes and their despair and they're trying to create their own future...
Maybe, for people like that, miracles are inevitable, don't you think?” - Makoto Naegi

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Dragon Ball Gaming · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme Designed by McKee91