Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Rotation Advertisements

We hope you enjoy your visit to this forum.

If you are reading this then it means you are currently browsing the forum as a guest, we donít limit any of the content posted from guests however if you join, you will have the ability to join the discussions! We are always happy to see new faces at this forum and we would like to hear your opinion, so why not register now? It doesnít take long and you can get posting right away.

Click here to Register!

If you are having difficulties validating your account please email us at admin@dbzf.co.uk

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

Username:   Password:
Ancestors who fought in wars
Topic Started: Nov 12 2017, 09:49 PM (242 Views)
+ Pelador
Member Avatar
Crazy Awesome Legend

What do you know about any of your ancestors who fought in the various global conflicts throughout history?

My grandfather was involved in various conflicts in southeast Asia during the 50s and 60s. His father fought in the second world war but would never talk about it. And his father before him got gassed during the first world war.

My dad just missed out on going to the Falklands but I never remember why. And I think an ear infection kept him out of the Gulf in 1990.

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Top
* Mitas
Member Avatar
It truly was a Shawshank redemption

I'm pretty sure that my Great Grandfather on my Dad's side fought in WW2. I think I remember seeing a certificate about Dunkirk up on the wall in a frame, so he might have been involved in that. I feel ignorant for not knowing, but nobody's ever really talked about it.

Also, not related, but my Nan's husband on my Dad's side was involved in WW2 also (a big age difference between them). He was involved in the Arctic Convoys and was one of the soldiers who had to fight for their medals. He was interviewed in the Herald about it and there's also a book out there that he was involved in.

Also also, my Granddad who I live with worked in the navy I think. Not sure if he was involved in any wars, although I don't think he was.
Edited by Mitas, Nov 12 2017, 10:59 PM.
Posted Image
"Then you've got the chance to do better next time."
"Next time?"
"Course. Doing better next time. That's what life is."
Member Avatar

I have documentation that shows that one of my grandfathers died at the Alamo. 5th or 6th great grandfather I believe.
Posted Image
+ GinyuTokusentai
Member Avatar
Leve Feyenoord 1!

I know that the uncle of my father fought in the Dutch Army during the Indonesian War of Independence. But he never wanted to speak about it.

I also know my grandfather was called up to fight for Nazi-Germany in the Soviet Union but he managed to hide from them.

My grandfather has done a lot of research towards his ancestors in his free time and he discovered that quite a few of our ancestors were in the Royal Dutch Navy during the 16th century.
Edited by GinyuTokusentai, Nov 13 2017, 10:38 AM.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Ask GinyuTokusentai
+ Paladin
Member Avatar

My grandfather fought in WW2 for the U.S.
Posted Image
Southern Gothic
Member Avatar
Dilly Dilly

Had some family fight for the Confederacy via the Army of Virginia during the Civil War.
Posted Image
Dankness Flame
Member Avatar
The Dankest Of Flames

My grandfather (mother's side) was in WW2. Became a prisoner of war.
Edited by Dankness Flame, Nov 13 2017, 11:34 PM.
Posted Image
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »