Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Rotation Advertisements

We hope you enjoy your visit to this forum.

If you are reading this then it means you are currently browsing the forum as a guest, we donít limit any of the content posted from guests however if you join, you will have the ability to join the discussions! We are always happy to see new faces at this forum and we would like to hear your opinion, so why not register now? It doesnít take long and you can get posting right away.

Click here to Register!

If you are having difficulties validating your account please email us at admin@dbzf.co.uk

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Does video companies allow Youtubers to post their playthrough ?
Topic Started: Nov 7 2017, 05:35 AM (816 Views)
bentovo
Member Avatar

Gamer such as this guy has been posting his game walk through for years. He said he gets paid also.
Posted Image
Member Offline View Profile Quote Post Goto Top

+ Pyrus
Member Avatar

I think it falls under "fair use" because it's like a commentary kind of thing. It's not just straight posting the game footage.

But copyright is a tricky subject.
Spoiler: click to toggle

Dingo
Member Avatar

Nintendo will always claim that type of content which is fully in their rights. Most other companies take no action and either consider it not worth their time and or free advertising.

Case by case kind of thing.
Wisdom

Wisdom

Pack

+ Emmeth
Member Avatar
I Yoeri

Honestly, the whole Youtube system is corrupt as f***. The bigger Youtubers like RadBrad gets paid and don't get copyright claims on their videos. Smaller Youtubers will easily get copyright claims which takes away their monetizing rights. In some cases you can dispute it and get it lifted, but it's very rare.

It also depends from company to company. Nintendo is one of those companies that puts copyright claims on anything they can.
Posted Image
My Twitch Page

+ Steve
Default Avatar

Emmeth
Nov 7 2017, 11:46 AM
Honestly, the whole Youtube system is corrupt as f***. The bigger Youtubers like RadBrad gets paid and don't get copyright claims on their videos. Smaller Youtubers will easily get copyright claims which takes away their monetizing rights. In some cases you can dispute it and get it lifted, but it's very rare.

It also depends from company to company. Nintendo is one of those companies that puts copyright claims on anything they can.
Pretty much this, it's a bunch of bulls*** really.

It really only happens at the whim of the publisher in question, they let many people off with it and then they just say screw you to others, but frequently let the big YouTubers with millions of subs play their games.

If you ask because you want to start a channel, look up the main people that copyright claim and either avoid their games entirely or don't monetize them at all.

Nintendo are the worst because they try to make you enter their creator club thing, which lets them take like 30% or more of the income for your channel.
No matter what content you post.
So like you could do one video on a Mario game but then exclusively play Call of Duty or something, Nintendo would still claim that 30% of your channel as theirs.

Activision is another one that's pretty bad, there's probably a list somewhere.

Another option is to use the copyright deadlock method and just have a Patreon, basically if you have copyrighted content from two sources neither of them can claim it because Nintendo and Activision won't fight each other over a YouTube video.

But yeah, generally it boils down to the luck of the YouTuber x Corporate Greed + Random Chance = Screwed over/Safe.
there is no set

* Mitas
Member Avatar
It truly was a Shawshank redemption

I'd be interested in seeing how Let's Plays of games affect sales. To me it seems like it could only have a negative impact since people can either a) see the game played and think 'that sucks' or b) see the game played through and then think 'well, no point buying it'. Obviously there will be people thinking 'oh, that looks good, I'll buy that', but I feel like most people who are going to buy a game will buy it anyway and the Let's Plays will only put them off doing that, rather than incentivise a purchase.
Posted Image
"Then you've got the chance to do better next time."
"Next time?"
"Course. Doing better next time. That's what life is."

+ Steve
Default Avatar

Mitas
Nov 7 2017, 05:43 PM
I'd be interested in seeing how Let's Plays of games affect sales. To me it seems like it could only have a negative impact since people can either a) see the game played and think 'that sucks' or b) see the game played through and then think 'well, no point buying it'. Obviously there will be people thinking 'oh, that looks good, I'll buy that', but I feel like most people who are going to buy a game will buy it anyway and the Let's Plays will only put them off doing that, rather than incentivise a purchase.
I think that's part of the fear publisher side but I also don't think it's rational.

Many people, myself included, will watch a Let's Play just to see how a game functions, deciding whether or not they want to buy it based on the LP's unbiased take.

I don't think many people buy games based on ads saying "10/10 BEST GAME OF THE YEAR - IGN" considering literally every game has bulls*** ads like that.

There's also a positive impact on awful games that become kind of cult classics, like Deadly Premonition, so many people have a "that looks so bad I must have try it" outlook on that game and others.

I don't think it ever really amounts to a loss in sales, unless it's a particularly s***ty game.
But for every reviewer or LP who dislikes a game there will be many more bough reviews or mindless players that sing praise for everything, so I'd wager any negatives are balanced out by that alone and then the exposure can only be positive, unless again it's particularly s***ty, No Man's Sky for example.

Unless you're making s***ty, unfinished, broken games you have no rational fear there.
there is no set

Dingo
Member Avatar

I used to get really hyped for certain games and 9/10 times once I watched a letsplay tmy hype would be satisfied. I'd end up waiting for it to get cheaper or never buy.

The odd time I do discover random indie games from lets play videos and buy em.

So from my experience they do nothing to sell triple A games but are good exposure for smaller titles. Can anyone relate?
Edited by Dingo, Nov 7 2017, 11:38 PM.
Wisdom

Wisdom

Pack

bentovo
Member Avatar

Emmeth

Do you think those companies - Nintendo, Capcom, Activision, get a % from those big gamer's or from Youtube themselves?
Posted Image

Axl
Member Avatar

Quote:

He said he gets paid also.

Aye, yo homie, cite your sources or claims else you just faking it.

Axl Reviews:The Casual Version

bentovo
Member Avatar

Axl
Nov 8 2017, 04:39 AM
Quote:

He said he gets paid also.

Aye, yo homie, cite your sources or claims else you just faking it.
Youtubers get paid by ads and viewerships. He plays games and does walkthrough commentaries on them while getting paid from Youtube. But like Emmeth said, other small Youtubers gets banned or copyright strike.

Sources:
http://naibuzz.com/2016/04/06/much-money-rad-brad-makes-youtube/
Edited by bentovo, Nov 8 2017, 04:52 AM.
Posted Image

Axl
Member Avatar

Okay. I don't see the problem. It's perfectly fine as long as it is transformative as Pyrus mentioned in his post. It's Fair Use. It pretty much a common knowledge. it is stated in the US Code 510 U.S. 569 section b.
Edited by Axl, Nov 8 2017, 05:19 AM.

+ Emmeth
Member Avatar
I Yoeri

bentovo
Nov 8 2017, 04:27 AM
Emmeth

Do you think those companies - Nintendo, Capcom, Activision, get a % from those big gamer's or from Youtube themselves?
If the video is monetized, I think the content creator gets a smaller percentage of monetizing money. Copyright claims effectively stops any money from being made of ads, so nobody gets paid.
Posted Image
My Twitch Page

+ Steve
Default Avatar

Axl
Nov 8 2017, 05:16 AM
Okay. I don't see the problem. It's perfectly fine as long as it is transformative as Pyrus mentioned in his post. It's Fair Use. It pretty much a common knowledge. it is stated in the US Code 510 U.S. 569 section b.
There isn't actually any legislation that protects people over this, it's pretty neutral territory, most of the time big companies will win for obvious reasons just depends on whether or not they decide they want to f*** someone.

It's not really set in stone what's fair use or not.
there is no set

Axl
Member Avatar

No, not really. It depends on what the license of a particular video game states. And some video game license agreements allow you to use all video game content for commercial use. Only if the video game license agreement doesn't give you permission to monetize then the game publisher can file a case. But, even then you can still monetize if your video is strictly tied to commentary and provides instructional or educational value. Basically, it is transformative. You can also monetize it if you have a separate contract with the publisher or you have paid for a separate license fee. All of this is pretty much stated in YouTube Support. Ultimately, it will come down to a case-by-case investigation.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Video Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme Designed by McKee91