Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Rotation Advertisements

We hope you enjoy your visit to this forum.

If you are reading this then it means you are currently browsing the forum as a guest, we donít limit any of the content posted from guests however if you join, you will have the ability to join the discussions! We are always happy to see new faces at this forum and we would like to hear your opinion, so why not register now? It doesnít take long and you can get posting right away.

Click here to Register!

If you are having difficulties validating your account please email us at admin@dbzf.co.uk

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

Username:   Password:
Dubs/Subs versus
Topic Started: Oct 12 2017, 01:30 PM (399 Views)
Bad User
Member Avatar

Well, this is not your everyday dub/sub debate discussing voice acting, music or such stuff. I would like to discuss scenes and lines, since a small difference can make a major change in a character, for better or worse.

For example, this comes to my mind right now.
DBZ Ep. 192
- Japanese: Vegeta: (to Piccolo, about Cell) He was unbelievable... I was powerless... I didn't ask you to save me. (to himself, about Goku) He's always ahead of me... That bastard! Damn you, Kakarotto! How come you always surpass me? I have to go train!
- Funi dub: Vegeta: (to Piccolo, about Cell) You can save your applause. Now go on. I don't need anybody's help. (to himself, about Goku) How? How could you die like that? How, Kakarott? I'll never have the chance to prove my strength against you! You died without fear! What does that make of me? I am no warrior and I will never fight again!

I definitely prefer the Japanese version. In the first part, he sounded rather wounded about his own weakness. In the second part, there comes his pride again and his willingness to keep on trying to fulfill his long-time wish and surpass Goku. However, in the dub, he is presented in a whole different light - in the first part, when talking to Piccolo, he sounded way more like a jerk who can't have a decent conversation with anyone. The second part screamed pussy (I no warrior I no fight no more boo hoo). It's amazing how a few lines can change the impression one gets about a character.

DBZ ep. 265
- Japanese: Gohan (to freshly transformed Buutenks): So that's it. You convinced me.
- Funi: Gohan (in the same stance): I'm tougher than Gotenks and smarter than Piccolo!

There is a thin line between confidence and bragging. I don't know why Funi's line bugs me so much, it just feels like he's only contradicting his intelligence by saying that. An intelligent person does not simply state 'Oh I'm so very intelligent'.

DBZ ep. 28
- Japanese: Piccolo (to Gohan, after being blasted by Nappa): I told you to get out of here... Hurry, or else...
- Ocean: Piccolo (idem): I'm phasing into another dimension. Wish me back, okay?

Again, how 1-2 lines can transform a brilliant character into an imbecile. Not only his sacrifice seemed less selfless and meaningful, but even Ed (from Ed, Edd n Eddy) would still have enough IQ to realize that no Piccolo = no Balls = no rising from the dead. Ocean Piccolo, you need to go back to school.

It is a fact that English dubs have a passion for chattering, whereas the Japanese version is more 'silent' to amplify the dramatic effect. However, not in every case the dub comes to fill in the 'blanks' from the original version with bad lines. For example, Gohan vs. Bootenks. In Japanese, the battle is more quiet - Funi doubles the number of lines, making Buutenks tease Gohan with lines such as 'Goten doesn't look up to you, he is disappointed in his big brother', 'Piccolo thought you were smarter and he taught you better than that', 'Trunks thinks you're a coward like your father'. In this case I thought it was better this way because it unravles why Gohan's ego deflated so quickly and how Bootenks got an emotional grip on him.

So, do you have any scenes that you preferred better in one version than in another? (you can include any dubs you want, be it German, Spanish, Big Green, Speedy...)
Edited by Bad User, Oct 12 2017, 03:56 PM.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Top

superperfectnerd
Member Avatar

I like both however the dub has improved vastly and even makes more westernised jokes and popular culture nods these days which I enjoy.

One line that is vasty superior in the funi dub in my opinion to the Japanese is when Vegeta is about to self destruct.

The original Japanese is: "In order to defeat you I'm going to make sure you can't restore yourself, by blowing you to tiny bits!"

And the dub is: "You are a fool! I'm going to crush you, and throw you into the wind!"

It may just be the way it's translated into English but the Japanese is so literal here, it's like a list of things that will happen instead of the dub's kind of more symbolic way of saying that line.

+ Clearin
Member Avatar

One dub line I liked was when Cell crushes #16's head. In Japanese he says "Stay out of this you useless junk" (Paraphrasing), while in the dub he says, to Gohan, "Yet another fighter you could have saved".

There's nothing wrong with the Japanese line, but I like the dub line because it just fits so much better with the context. The entire focus of the scene at this point is that Cell is trying to get Gohan mad, and the dub line just achieves that so much better by having Cell make #16's death seem like Gohan's fault.

Quote:

- Japanese: Vegeta: (to Piccolo, about Cell) He was unbelievable... I was powerless... I didn't ask you to save me. (to himself, about Goku) He's always ahead of me... That bastard! Damn you, Kakarotto! How come you always surpass me? I have to go train!

This is completely wrong. Vegeta talks to Piccolo much the same way he did in the English version, telling him to piss off because he doesn't need any help. Most importantly, he also says he won't fight ever again in Japanese too.

I don't know if your other Japanese lines are correct or not, but that one is very wrong, and everything you insulted the dub for also exists in Japanese..
Posted Image

Bad User
Member Avatar

Clearin, I was merely transcribing from a subbed episode from a reliable source. But to prove I'm not entirely an a***, I will check with other translations. I was barely insulting anything.

I don't have a preference, don't get me wrong. I accept both sub and dub, it's just that depending on some scenes, at times I prefer one over another.
Posted Image

RisanF
No Avatar

superperfectnerd
Oct 13 2017, 03:45 PM
I like both however the dub has improved vastly and even makes more westernised jokes and popular culture nods these days which I enjoy.

One line that is vasty superior in the funi dub in my opinion to the Japanese is when Vegeta is about to self destruct.

The original Japanese is: "In order to defeat you I'm going to make sure you can't restore yourself, by blowing you to tiny bits!"

And the dub is: "You are a fool! I'm going to crush you, and throw you into the wind!"

It may just be the way it's translated into English but the Japanese is so literal here, it's like a list of things that will happen instead of the dub's kind of more symbolic way of saying that line.
This is something I've thought about recently concerning DUB vs. Original. When you hear a line in the Ocean/FUNi version, oftentimes the scripts hams it up and it comes off as cheesy. However, if you listen to the Original Japanese dialogue, it feels kind of dry, without a lot of frills. You can kind of see why FUNi would like to jazz things up, especially when it comes to villains.

superperfectnerd
Member Avatar

The line I mentioned just isn't very...poetic in the Japanese, having Vegeta pragmatically explain why blowing up might work takes the emotion out of it. Calling Boo a fool who he's going to crush and throw into the wind feels more emotionally weighted as opposed to literal.

Billa
Member Avatar
Thala na Gethu!

Goku & Majin Vegeta's JPN lines b4 their SSJ2 power-up & subsequent lines

"I dont wish to take damage from you & ressurect Majin Boo. So, I'll finish this fight with my highest power"~Goku

"Same here. Now I'll witness the training you did in afterlife"~Majin Vegeta

BOOM! SSJ2 Power-ups

"Looks like this wont end fast"~SSJ2 Goku

"Here goes. I'll kill you, Kakarotto"~SSJ2 Majin Vegeta

The depth, intensity & foreshadowing displayed in JPN line outclasses Funi's "Its a shame Vegeta, I've always considered you my friend. Wake up. This is it. Our destiny" kinda blatant, on-your-face line.

superperfectnerd
Member Avatar

Billa
Oct 20 2017, 03:06 PM

"I dont wish to take damage from you & ressurect Majin Boo. So, I'll finish this fight with my highest power"~Goku

BOOM! SSJ2 Power-ups

The depth, intensity & foreshadowing displayed in JPN line outclasses Funi's "Its a shame Vegeta, I've always considered you my friend. Wake up. This is it. Our destiny" kinda blatant, on-your-face line.

Goku's already dead, so it makes it kind of a silly thing for Vegeta to say.

Billa
Member Avatar
Thala na Gethu!

superperfectnerd
Oct 22 2017, 12:28 AM
Billa
Oct 20 2017, 03:06 PM

BOOM! SSJ2 Power-ups

Goku's already dead, so it makes it kind of a silly thing for Vegeta to say.
Frankly, at that point not a single f*** was given abt who's dead, who came on 1 day permit, who's illegal immigrant all dat crap

Goku vs Vegeta in Saiyan Arc was stalemate. Former never dominated Veggie except few hits using X3 Kaioken & KHH/Galick Gun clash.

Latter couldnt collect the DragonBalls or erase Earth as he wanted despite leaving ever-lasting mark on Z-fighters

Watching these 2 bulls seconds away from locking horns, after ages of build-up. Its either Majin Vegeta kills Goku (for all his personal turmoils he suffered) or Goku manages to wear-out Majin Vegeta to another stale-mate.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · Dragon Ball/Z Discussion · Next Topic »

//