Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Rotation Advertisements

We hope you enjoy your visit to this forum.

If you are reading this then it means you are currently browsing the forum as a guest, we donít limit any of the content posted from guests however if you join, you will have the ability to join the discussions! We are always happy to see new faces at this forum and we would like to hear your opinion, so why not register now? It doesnít take long and you can get posting right away.

Click here to Register!

If you are having difficulties validating your account please email us at admin@dbzf.co.uk

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Axl Reviews: The Casual Version
Topic Started: Sep 10 2017, 05:29 PM (809 Views)
Axl
Member Avatar

Welcome to Axl Reviews! Yeah, I just decided to make a thread for myself in which I would review certain Anime or Manga series. But, feel free to post your own thoughts on the anime or manga series that I review. Note, when I say review it's more like my thoughts, opinions and summary about the series and not like a full-fledged hardcore type of a review. It's more like a casual review. Also, most of my 'reviews' will most likely contain spoilers so please go through them only if you yourself finished the series/chapters/episodes or basically if you don't really care about the spoilers.

Links to 'Axl Reviews':

:::::::::::::::::UPDATES LOG::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

[#] January 10th, 2018 - Devilman Crybaby Anime Series Review.
[#] December 31st, 2017 - The Fruit of Grisaia Anime Series Review.
[#] October 17th, 2017 - Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Anime Review.
[#] September 14th, 2017 - Boogiepop Phantom Anime Review.
[#] September 10th, 2017 - Gantz : Added Chapter 1 to 2 Reviews.

Edited by Axl, Jan 14 2018, 12:32 AM.

Axl Reviews:The Casual Version
Member Offline View Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Axl
Member Avatar

Gantz [HIATUS:Will Review after Reading all the Chapters]

So what is Gantz? It's basically a seinen manga series which was written by Hiroya Oku. It got published in the Weekly Young Jump magazine around July 2000 and ended around June 2013. So, how did I get to know about it? I got to know about Gantz by watching the anime adaptation of it back in 2010. I enjoyed the anime adaptation of it and kinda wished it didn't end. It's actually the reason I decided to start reading the manga for Gantz. I usually don't read manga unless if it is an ecchi or a hentai type. But, I think, I will start trying to make some exceptions, like by starting with Gantz. Anyways, the story in Gantz involves Kei Kurono and his childhood friend Masaru Kato who die in a train accident. They along with other people who died become part of a 'game' and are forced to hunt down and kill aliens. The 'players' of this 'game' are also given access to futuristic weapons and items inorder to assist them in fighting the aliens. Sounds crazy and fun right? Anyhow, the manga and the anime is known for a lot of violence, gore and sexual content. So, if you are not a fan of any of these type of genres then you might not want to read or watch it.

Excerpt 1: The Room, Onion Aliens and a Quirky Black Sphere?!?
Edited by Axl, Jan 1 2018, 02:51 AM.

Axl
Member Avatar

Boogiepop Phantom
Posted Image

When it comes to a good mystery, thriller or psychological type of anime, most would suggest titles such as Deathnote, Another, Mirai Nikki, Paranoia Agent, Higurashi and Monster etc. Now, I don't have anything against those suggestion nor do I think they are wrong. But often, these popular and well-written anime tend to overshadow the more less known but well-written anime, who also belong to the same set of genres as the former. Boogiepop Phantom is one such anime that as always been in the periphery of the more well known popular psychological anime series.

Boogiepop Phantom is a twelve-episode anime series that was released around 2000. It was produced by the Madhouse Studios and was directed by Takashi Watanabe. The Boogiepop Phantom anime is actually based on the light novel series written by Kouhei Kadono. The light novel series is credited with popularizing the light novels trend in Japan, as well as redefining young adult fiction in Japan. In addition to an anime adaptation, there is also a manga and a live movie adaptation of the light novels. Before we delve further into the show, lets talk a little bit about the premise of Boogiepop Phantom first. Boogiepop Phantom takes place in an unnamed small prefecture outside of Tokyo. Or basically some unnamed city in Japan. It isn't made clear as to where exactly in Japan does the show takes place in. Anyhow, five years before the start of the series there were a string of grisly murders that took place in the city. And a month before the start of the series, a pillar of light appears one night after which some high school students of the city start to disappear again. In addition to all this, there is also an urban legend regarding Boogiepop, who is rumored to be the 'Angel of Death'.

Okay, so now that the premise is out of the way lets talk about the structure of the plot. Don't worry, we won't be talking about any major plot spoilers here. The first thing to know about Boogiepop Phantom is that the story is very convoluted. This is especially true for people, including me, who watched the anime before reading any of the light novels. Which I will expand on a bit later. Now, when I say the story is convoluted, I don't mean that the actual story is very convoluted. It's actually the way in which Boogiepop Phantom discloses the story to viewers, that is very convoluted. Boogiepop Phantom doesn't really focus on a single character. Rather most of the episodes are stand alone, self contained and focused on a certain set of characters. However, it should also be noted that while most episodes are stand alone, there are still references to characters and events from the previous episodes. The other thing that makes the story seem so convoluted is due to the fact that, the story is narrated in a very non linear fashion. That is, there are a lot of 'time jumps' between most of the episodes which may confuse some people who haven't paid enough attention. And while most episodes do reveal pieces of information which are related to main story. Many episodes also focus more on a certain set of themes. These themes are usually presented and developed through the characters of that episode. Boogiepop Phantom focuses on themes such as relationships, change, tragedy of loss, misunderstandings, lack of support or attention from parents, escape from reality and depression etc. Usually, the themes are related to issues that some kids might face while they enter into their teenage years and realize how the world is a very complicated place and that there are lots of shades of grey.

Now, let's talk a bit about the art and animation of Boogiepop Phantom. The animation of Boogiepop Phantom is, for a lack of better term, basic. It was basically a low budgeted experimental anime. But that's fine. It works because it's a psychological anime. It isn't a action oriented anime, so it didn't really require spectacular animation. The art work is clean but is bland. That is, none of the characters have any weird hair colors which we usually see in most anime. All of them pretty much have the normal black/brown hair. The character designs are also pretty normal and simple i.e no big boobed high school girls or no weird hair styles or clothes etc. But again, this works because it aimed for a more realistic and grounded look. The other thing to note is that Boogiepop Phantom also uses reduced color palette, reduced brightness and sepia color palette for most of its episodes. This was done purposely in order to make it more atmospheric and creepy. The artwork style is somewhat similar to Serial Experiments Lain. But, this isn't a surprise since one of the Key animator for Serial Experiments Lain was also the Character designer and Key animator for Boogiepop Phantom.

Overall, Boogiepop Phantom is an amazing series. I really enjoyed it. It is deep, complicated and very thoughtful. And, as I mentioned above, it contains a lot of interesting themes to think over after you finished watching the series. It can be confusing at first but if you really focus and pay attention to all the episodes, then by the end of the series you will be able to understand it. Now, I know that there are some things that are still left unanswered by the end of the series. But, you have to realize that the Boogiepop Phantom anime is part of a larger franchise. The anime is actually an adaptation of several story lines of certain Boogiepop light novels. So, a lot of those unanswered things are actually references to the things present in the light novels. And this anime is not about those referenced characters or events but rather its about the characters and events which are relevant to this plot. Anyways, I believe this anime is worth checking out for those who are looking for some good psychological anime.
Edited by Axl, Sep 14 2017, 07:43 AM.

Axl
Member Avatar

Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!

Posted Image

Hello and welcome to an another Axl Review! Today we will be talking about Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! or WataMote for short. WataMote is a twelve-episode anime series produced by Silver Link studios in 2013. And, as with most anime series, it is based of a manga series. The manga series was written by Nico Tanigawa and got published by Square Enix in 2011. In addition to the twelve-episode anime series there is also a special/OVA episode which takes place before the events of the main series. I will be including the special/OVA episode in this review because it's basically just another episode in the series but taking place before the events of the main series. So, in short, you could say that there are a total of thirteen episodes in WataMote.

Anyways, let's talk a bit about the plot and the characters of the series. The story of WataMote mainly revolves around a 15 year old girl called Tomoko Kuroki who has just entered high school. Tomoko believes that she would become popular once she enters high school because of her experience in playing a lot of 'maiden games'. However, two months pass after entering high school and she realizes that she hasn't made a single friend, let alone got a boyfriend. In addition, having a conversation with anyone other than her family members has also become a very difficult task for her. This is due to the lack of social interaction she has had with people for quite sometime now. Wanting to change, she seeks helps from her younger brother, Tomoki, who is of course not really looking forward to it. The entire series basically revolves around Tomoko trying to improve her social skills and status through various schemes she devices, most of which often come short of her expectations or fail hilariously.

While Tomoko is the main character and the focus of the series, the series does have few supporting characters who somewhat play a central role. Namely, her young brother Tomoki and her best friend from middle school named Yu. While her brother on the outside appears to be very annoyed by her and views her with disgust, it is shown quite early on in the series that he is still there for her when she really needs help and does still care for her. The same goes for her middle school friend Yu. Even though Yu has blossomed into a buxom young lady, she still does care for Tomoko and hangs out with her occasionally. As mentioned in the beginning, there is also a special/OVA episode. The special episode takes place sometime around when Tomoko was in middle school. While the special episode does involve the revelation of a possible romantic interest for Tomoko at that point of time, we also get to see how different this younger version of Tomoko is compared to her present self. Namely, we get to see Tomoko being a bit more social, not being too afraid to talk to others and not being too awkward. That is, we get to see Tomoko being somewhat 'normal'. The OVA/special episode does a good job on exploring Tomoko's character even further and providing some more depth to her character. Overall, WataMote does an amazing job in portraying Tomoko and a lot of adolescence issues in a very realistic manner.

Now, having said that, the show does have one major problem that hinders it from being a really great show that it could have been. The problem is that we don't get to see the main character Tomoko develop or learn from her experiences. Now, it's not that she doesn't develop or learn anything from her experiences. She does in fact in the end learn something. But, it is not brought out in a solid way. Basically, it lacks a solid closure and leaves a lot to be desired. However, the lack of character development or closure for Tomoko can somewhat be explained. The producers were most likely expecting another season for WataMote and were probably thinking about developing her more in the second season. But, unfortunately, it didn't get renewed for another season. Which is really sad because the manga goes much further ahead and Tomoko does start developing later on. I am sure if the anime got an another season they could have done a lot more with Tomoko's character. WataMote with just one season is basically like Welcome to the NHK with just the first eleven or so episodes. But, it looks like the manga version of WataMote is picking up in Japan so that's definitely a good sign. Anyways, this is basically the only major flaw of the series.

Before we wrap this up lets talk a bit about the art, animation and the soundtrack. There is nothing jaw-dropping regarding the art and animation of WataMote. It's good but nothing outstanding. It's consistent and has no 'off-models' or anything like that. But, this is to be expected since it's a twelve-episode slice-of-life comedy type anime. And slice-of-life type anime usually don't have many complex animations which enables studios to put more budget into the art. However, surprisingly, the art work in WataMote does not have that photorealistic color type of quality that one would expect in a modern slice-of-life anime. But again, that's not really much of a problem since the art work for WataMote blends rather well with the theme of the show. Overall, WataMote gets the job done in terms of art and animation. It is nothing too fancy but works. As for the soundtrack, nothing too spectacular, but I did enjoy both the opening and ending songs. Never skipped them once. They perfectly capture Tomoko's character and how she feels. Also, love the artwork and animation style of both the opening and ending. It's simple but very expressive.

To conclude, the series is mainly a slice-of-life type comedy anime. However, it can get emotional or serious when it needs to be. And the series does an excellent job in showcasing both these aspects. You will also enjoy the series even more if you are able to relate with Tomoko. Because, let's be honest, we all had a bit of 'Tomoko' inside us at one point in our life. It's also noteworthy that the show makes a lot of references to other anime series, manga series, light novels, tropes, and dating games. So, that's always a plus right? Anyways, I only wish there was another season('s) to see what they could have potentially done with Tomoko's character. But, it's still a good short slice-of-life comedy type of anime that is worth checking out.

Axl
Member Avatar

The Fruit of Grisaia
Posted Image

Hello and welcome to an another Axl Review!

Hmm... it looks like I haven't reviewed an anime or manga series for some time. Fear not, for today, I will be reviewing the Grisaia no Kajitsu (or Le Fruit de la Grisaia) series! Which in English translates to, The Fruit of Grisaia. It is actually the first part in a series of adult romance visual novels developed by Front Wing. The Fruit of Grisaia visual novel was released in 2011 and it's sequels, The Labyrinth of the Grisaia (Le Labyrinthe de la Grisaia) and The Eden of the Grisaia (Le Eden de la Grisaia), were released in 2012 and 2013 respectively. All the three visual novels have subsequently been adapted into three anime series named Grisaia no Kajitsu, Grisaia no Meikyuu and Grisaia no Rakuen respectively. And all three of them were animated by the 8-bit studio and produced by NBCUniversal studio.

It should also be noted that while each game has an anime adaptation, only Le Fruit de la Grisaia and Le Eden de la Grisaia anime adaptations can be considered as a series or a season. The anime adaptation of the second game, Le Labyrinthe de la Grisaia, is considered more of a special episode or a movie since it's anime adaptations contains just a single 47 minutes episode. So, in short, you could say in total there are two seasons and a special episode. Also, since I haven't read or played the visual novels, I don't really know how well the three anime series have adapted their respective visual novels. Therefore, this review will mainly focus on the three anime series and not on the visual novels or on about comparing the two. And finally, yes, there is also manga adaptations of the visual novels.

Okay, so let's talk about the premise and the overall plot of each of these three anime series without going much into spoilers. Let's start with the first season, Grisaia no Kajitsu. The first season has a total of 13 episodes. And it's main premise is as follows. A young man named Yuuji Kazami gets transferred to Mihama Academy. But, he quickly learns that the school is not really an ordinary school. And here's why. Aside from him there are only five girls who attend this school. Yeah, not so ordinary now is it? In addition, initially the show seems to portray the five girls as your standard stereotypical Harem and Ecchi female characters. But we, along with Yuuji, quickly realize that those stereotypical behaviors that those girls portray are nothing but a facade to mask their tragic past. We also realize, quite early on, that this academy is more like a rehabilitation center for people like them. And yes, by them I not only mean just the five girls but also Yuuji. I mean, the series from the get-go makes it obvious that Yuuji is not your average Joe. The way Yuuji interacts, responds, and his behavior all of this make it obvious that just like the five girls there is definitely something more to Yuuji.

Another thing to note about is that there isn't really any plot in the first season. The first season mainly delves into the tragic past of the five girls, Yuuji's interaction with them and the bond they form with each other. Now, each of the girls past is definitely tragic, dark and interesting. But, at the same time you might not care about the tragic past of some of the girls. This is mainly because we don't get enough screen time with some of the girls. But hey, you can only squeeze so much in a 13 episode anime right? Nonetheless, all the five girl's backstory are unique and interesting to a certain degree. But, I still think, this season could have been much better if it wasn't limited to 13 episodes. If it had more episodes it could have provided more screen time and development to some of the girls that needed it. This would have also helped the viewers to care more about the five female characters and their backstory. Anyways, aside from the lack of plot in the first season and the lack of screen time or development for some of the girls, it's still a pretty decent season.

While the first season does focus more on the backstory of the characters, it should also be noted that the focus is more on the five girls and not much about Yuuji's past. We only get small bit's and pieces of information about his past in the first season. But, this is where the special Grisaia no Meikyuu comes in to fill in the gap. Yes, that's right, this special is all about Yuuji's past. All the questions that we had while watching the first season are almost all answered in this special. We get to know about Yuuji's past, what was he like when he was a kid, what were his parents and sister like and who was that guy from the ending of season one and what's his relation with Yuuji. The special ends with showing us how Yuuji meet his mentor Asako Kusakabe. Honestly, there isn't much to talk about (without getting into spoilers) or complain about in this special because it does an excellent job in explaining Yuji's past, his character and answering almost all the questions we had in season one. Heck, they even show us how Yuuji and Chizuru (the principal of Mihama Academy) meet. I thought that was pretty neat and a cool little bonus.

Now let's talk about the second and the final season, Grisaia no Rakuen. The second season is slightly shorter than the first season. It is 3 episodes shorter than the first season thus making it have only 10 episodes in total. Roughly, the first half of this season continues from where the special ended. While the special focused on how Yuuji was before he meet his mentor, here we see more of his relation with his mentor Asako Kusakabe and also JB. In addition, we also get to see how and why Yuuji decides to work for the same organization as Asako, and thus his eventual enrollment in the military. The second half of this season is when it switches back to the present and this is where the actual plot begins. It mainly involves the five girls working together to rescue Yuuji. And Yuuji's final confrontation with his past. The third season is essentially a good mix between focusing on the characters and also having an actual plot this time. The ending is also pretty satisfying.

Regarding the art, animation & soundtrack. The artwork and the animation is really good. It's very consistent in all the seasons and the special. There are no off-models and very rarely do we get those super deformed models. The fight scenes are also well animated. Very fluid. So, kudos to them for the consistent artwork and animation. But, I did find one thing annoying. There were a lot of panty shots in this series. I mean, some of them were even present in serious moments. Anyways, now for the soundtrack. I must say, I really did enjoy the soundtrack for this series. And, honestly, there isn't much to complain here. The appropriate soundtracks were played for the appropriate moments.

Overall, I did enjoy both the seasons and the special. But, as I mentioned earlier, I still think they could have executed the first season a bit more better by giving more screen time and development to some of the girls. In addition, while I do know this a harem and an ecchi type of anime, I still think they could have cut down on some of the unnecessary fan services. Yeah, that's right, I am talking about that scene with Yuuji and Kazuki from the special and the scene with Yuuji and Makina in the first season. Honestly, those scenes were obviously very weird and weren't relevant for the plot or backstory. Anyways, I definitely think this anime is worth checking out. It has an interesting story and plot elements behind all those panty shots and fan service.

Axl
Member Avatar

Devilman Crybaby
Posted Image

Hello and welcome to an another Axl Review! Today, I will be reviewing the new Devilman anime series called Devilman Crybaby. It is a ten episode anime series directed by Masaaki Yuasa and written by Ichiro Okouchi. It is produced by Eunyoung Choi at Masaaki Yuasa's studio, Science SARU, and was released on January 5th, 2018. It is currently available for streaming in both dub and sub at Netflix. The Devilman Crybaby is an anime adaptation of Go Nagai's manga, Devilman. However, it is not the first nor is it the only adaptation of the series. There have been other adaptation of the series in the past such as an anime series by Toei, an OVA series, a film and a series of novels. Now, the only adaptation that I have seen from the aforementioned list include just the OVA series. So, in this review, I will also be talking a bit about the OVA adaptation and mainly compare it with the new adaptation. There is one other thing you need to know about Devilman before proceeding further. The Devilman series itself is actually based on a previous manga series by Go Nagai called Demon Lord Dante. It was essentially the prototype for Devilman.

Okay, so let's talk about the premise of Devilman Crybaby first without delving much into spoilers. One day, our protagonist Akira Fudo is informed by his best friend, Ryo Asuka, that demons exist and they are planning to take back the planet from us. Furthermore, he also says that the only way to defeat the demons is to incorporate their powers. Ryo then takes Akira to a very debauched party. Soon, some people in the party start transforming into demons and they start killing the humans. Akira also transforms into a demon but he is able to retain his soul as a human. With his new found demonic powers he kills all the other demons, saves Ryo and takes him to the hospital to heal his injuries. From there on, at least on the surface, the story essentially focuses on Akira fighting various demons and all the while trying to prevent the demons from spreading. As the story progresses further, we also get to know more about the characters, their past, and their motives. Certain aspects of demons are also explored and brought to surface.

Now, let's talk a bit about the characters. There are essentially three main characters in the series which include Akira Fudo, Ryo Asuka, and Miki Makimura. Akira Fudo is essentially the main protagonist of the series. He lives with Miki Makimura and her family. It is explained in the series that his parents are brilliant doctors who are helping people all over the world. As a result, his parents don't get enough time to stay with him in Japan. He is described in the series as this sort of pure-hearted 'crybaby' type of a person. And he is referred as such because, right from when he was a kid, he always started to weep whenever he heard or saw someone being unhappy. He is also somewhat shown to be a timid and a meek person before he becomes the Devilman. However, it should also be noted that as a child he is also shown to be brave enough to stand up for and protect Miki whenever she got picked on by others. And, while his body does become stronger and his personality does somewhat change after he gets the ability to transform into Devilman, he still does retain his soul and most of his old personality.

The other main character of the series is Ryo Asuka. Ryo is also one of Akira's childhood friend. He was friends with Akira before Akira even meet Miki. He is, for the most part, shown to be very calm and collected. He is also portrayed in the series as a very intelligent and observant person. However, unlike Akira, he is very impassive and doesn't care for anyone other than Akira. We also do get to learn more about his character, his past and the reasons for his odd behaviors as the story progresses.

Finally, we have Miki Makimura. She is also known as Kamioka Academy's Witch or The Track's Witch possibly due to her being the fastest runner in her school. She is also considered as a star by some of her classmates because she is sometimes seen going out with or talking with Mr. Nagasaki, who appears to be a model photographer. As mentioned earlier, Akira lives with her and her family. As a result, they both care for each other and as the story progresses they somewhat even develop feelings for each other. She is also very kind and pure-hearted like Akira. However, unlike Akira, she doesn't just start weeping for any random person who is sad or unhappy. But, when presented with an opportunity, she does try to understand their sorrow and tries to help them out.

Overall, all the three main character do have some depth and personality towards them. They don't just fall flat. But, I think the characters could have been fleshed out a bit more better. For example, I think Akira could have been developed more. He does have some development but it isn't much. Out of the three, I would probably say Ryo gets the most noticeable development. But, I suppose, this is probably the best they could have done in terms of character development for a 10 episode anime series, as opposed to say a 26 or heck even a 13 episode anime series. However, it is worth pointing out that the Devilman series was never really about the characters or their development. Rather, the series was known for it's extreme violence, gore, sexual contents and mature themes. And this new adaptation also adapts and follows the same formula. The Devilman series deals with themes such as war and the inevitable tragic consequences of war. It deals with concepts such as fear and terror. And how they affect the humans. The Devilman series also plays around with the concept of morality. It makes you question on what really is the meaning of good and bad? Are they just code words for what you like and what you don't like?

Anyways, let's move on to the art and animation of Devilman Crybaby. Initially, I wasn't very fond of the art style. But, I got used to the style by the end of the second episode. I somewhat even appreciate this new experimental art style. The artwork is sort of this weird mix between modern anime character designs and the late 70's anime character designs. This is especially true for the demon character designs in this show. The overall art style is somewhat similar to the anime Ping Pong, another anime produced by the same director and studio. Now having said that, the characters art, design and the models however are not very consistent. More specifically, the character details do vary from scene to scene. For example, in some frame shots the characters will have lots of details but in other frames they won't have much details. But, this is where the animation comes in to fill-in the holes left by the inconsistent art work. The animation in this series is spectacular. All the fight scenes with the demons were well animated. It is clear that they focused most of their budget on the animation rather than on making a consistent art work. Overall, Devilman Crybaby does a good job in balancing out the art and animation, but with a bit more disposition to animation.

As I have mentioned in the beginning, I have also watched the OVA adaptation of the series. So, the question now is which adaptation did I prefer? Well, to be honest, I enjoyed both the adaptations. And here's why. Both the adaptations have things which I like and dislike about them. So, basically, my perfect Devilman adaptation would be the one which takes the the things that I liked in both the adaptations and successfully incorporates them. Like, how cool would it have been if such an adaptation of Devilman really existed right?

Okay, let's first talk about the things that I preferred from the OVA series. I actually somewhat still prefer the art style of the OVA over the new adaptation. Don't get me wrong. I still do appreciate the unique art style of the new adaptation. However, I personally think that the series would have looked a bit more better if it used the normal anime art style. But, that's just me. The other thing I liked about the OVA series is that the pacing was better here when compared to the new adaptation. The pacing for the first three episodes in the new adaptation was just way too fast. It does slow down a bit after the first three episodes but it was still somewhat fast for my taste. As a result, the characters interactions, reactions, development and the plot progression just feel rushed for some parts. But, I understand why the pacing was fast. They had just 10 episodes to tell the whole manga story! Honestly, I wish they could have at least made this into a 13 episode anime series. Three additional episodes could have definitely evened out the hasty pacing and also could have given more screen time for some of the characters. Finally, the one other aspect that I also enjoyed from the OVA's was when Akira's body gets usurped by the demon he controls. I really wished they could have added that aspect to this new adaptation. I feel like that could have added more weight to the story.

Now, let's talk about the things that I enjoyed from the new adaptation. While I do prefer the artwork and character designs of the OVA, I definitely enjoyed the animation in the new adaptation much more than I did for in the OVAs. The animations especially in the fight scenes were really amazing. The other thing that I loved about the new adaptation was the smoother transitions between the plot events. Now, while the OVAs do have a much better pacing than the new adaptation, they do however have one major problem with them. Mainly, the jerky transition between the 3 OVA episodes. This is more apparent if you watch the OVAs, like me, without any prior knowledge about Devilman. It's like there is something that happened between each of the 3 OVA's but you don't really know about it since you haven't read the manga nor do the OVAs bother explaining. But, to be fair this missing link or the gap is felt more only when you transition to the third OVA. And is not felt much between the first and second OVA. Regardless, the new adaptation still has a much better and smoother transition between plot events. And finally, the story in the new adaptation feels more completed and satisfying than the OVAs. The OVA series ending is not too satisfying. And due to the jerky transition between the OVA episodes, the OVA adaptation just feels incomplete.

To conclude, Devilman Crybaby is a good adaption of the original Devilman manga. It certainly is not perfect and does have its own flaws. But, it is still definitely worth checking out. People who enjoyed and loved anime/manga series such as Berserk, Evangelion and Parasyte The Maxim will most likely also enjoy Devilman. As some of you might not know, Devilman was actually the series that inspired those iconic series! It was also the series that pushed many Shounen and manga series in general, to develop more darker tones. Devilman Crybaby is not just for the existing fans of the series. It also for new people who want to get into the series. It should also be noted that the Devilman Crybaby is not for everyone. As it contains a lot of violence, gore and sexual content in it. So, if you are not a fan of any of those elements or are under the age of 18 then this anime is not for you.

+ Steve
Member Avatar
Greetings. I will be your waifu this season.

About Devilman Crybaby, having just recently read the original manga and having watched 2 episodes of Crybaby so far...

This becomes a rant

I'm not sure how to feel about it, there's a lot I like such as the music and the really dynamic art aside from some really f***ed looking stuff like how they run...what is that?

But the story and character elements, just not feeling it. I feel like the manga was so much more organized and everything played out in a much more satisfying way.
Spoiler territory, Steve greatly recommends the manga as this WILL spoil it and the manga is better

I get why they couldn't do a shot for shot adaptation set in the modern world but I honestly haven't liked any of the changes so far, not one thing I can think of is an improvement on the manga, other than how much more titty action there is.
It's been changed from a cheesy 70's superhero series that gets darker and darker to a pretty generic feeling gorefest that really doesn't seem to capture any of the charm of Devilman.

*sigh*

It's not terrible or anything but it's just not Devilman for me.
Posted Image

Definitely not a succubus, fear not

Axl
Member Avatar

Those are some interesting points and views you got there, Steve. Now, as I mentioned in my review, I haven't read the original manga but I did see the OVAs. So, I do agree with you in a certain sense that the characters could have been better written and developed. In general, I feel like if the series had a couple of more episodes rather than just ten, then the story and the characters could have been structured and executed much better. Now, having said that, I do also personally believe that the Devilman series as a whole is not really much about the characters but rather it's about the themes and the message it presents. And, I think the new series does quite well in capturing that aspect of the original series. But, that's just me. Anyways, I do appreciate your initial comments of the series. So, feel free to comment once again after you finished watching the series. It's always good to have many different views to understand the series as a whole.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Anime & Manga · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme Designed by McKee91