Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Rotation Advertisements

We hope you enjoy your visit to this forum.

If you are reading this then it means you are currently browsing the forum as a guest, we donít limit any of the content posted from guests however if you join, you will have the ability to join the discussions! We are always happy to see new faces at this forum and we would like to hear your opinion, so why not register now? It doesnít take long and you can get posting right away.

Click here to Register!

If you are having difficulties validating your account please email us at admin@dbzf.co.uk

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

Username:   Password:
Fixed another laptop with a method
Topic Started: Aug 15 2017, 01:06 AM (486 Views)
Rockman
Member Avatar
hoighty-toighty

This laptop I recently fixed was having issues with the graphics chip. Bios beep of 7 short beeps indicated a problem with the motherboard hardware.
Just like in this video, I had to do a reflow of the graphics chip based on a lot of sources stating that this fixed their exact model of laptop. So I gave it a shot and it worked.

Here's a short video of how to do it.

This guy uses a thermal couple to determine how hot the edge of the chip is getting so it doesn't damage anything. Not super important to do that. I fixed this laptop with about 30 seconds of direct heat at 550 degrees.
I also placed the aluminum foil around the chip to keep direct heat from melting any of the plastic around it.

You can pick up a heat gun on amazon for around $20. Worth every penny if you're in the business like I am.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Top

Cal
Member Avatar
I may not deserve to live, but I will protect those in my reach with my reverse blade!

As a note without using some sort of 3D Xray you run the risk of a solder bridge forming underneath the BGA which could short out the entire PCBA.

Posted Image

Rockman
Member Avatar
hoighty-toighty

Cal
Oct 7 2017, 01:01 AM
As a note without using some sort of 3D Xray you run the risk of a solder bridge forming underneath the BGA which could short out the entire PCBA.
I have access to an xray machine. I just have to sneak the board in and out of work. We also have BGA replacement machines. I learned how to use them just a few months ago too. But for the record, in the amount of time and the amount of heat that I used, it is nearly impossible for the solder to flow so much as to blow across their Solder Mask Cell. <600 degrees and <45 seconds. Normally Bridging occurs at >750 at the temp that we use to replace BGA chips at work.

Also, I realize this. Luckily it worked and I didn't bridge anything. In fact I gave it back to the person who gave it to me. Haven't heard a single word of protest since.
Posted Image

Cal
Member Avatar
I may not deserve to live, but I will protect those in my reach with my reverse blade!

Rockman
Oct 7 2017, 01:16 AM
Cal
I have access to an xray machine. I just have to sneak the board in and out of work. We also have BGA replacement machines. I learned how to use them just a few months ago too.

Also, I realize this. Luckily it worked and I didn't bridge anything. In fact I gave it back to the person who gave it to me. Haven't heard a single word of protest since.
That is good. We have a BGA replacement machine too, called FineTech or something like that. We also use it for fine pitched leaded ICs. Everything else is good 'ole Solder Iron/Blower and a can do attitude.

Quote:

n the amount of time and the amount of heat that I used, it is nearly impossible for the solder to flow so much as to blow across their Solder Mask Cell. <600 degrees and <45 seconds. Normally Bridging occurs at >750 at the temp that we use to replace BGA chips at work.

We have oven profiles with a temp way lower that that with multiple BGAs on them (automotive grade PCBAs with 1-10k components). Not sure if you're using leaded or non-leaded paste though.
Edited by Cal, Oct 7 2017, 01:22 AM.

Posted Image

Rockman
Member Avatar
hoighty-toighty

Cal
Oct 7 2017, 01:20 AM
Rockman
Oct 7 2017, 01:16 AM
Cal
I have access to an xray machine. I just have to sneak the board in and out of work. We also have BGA replacement machines. I learned how to use them just a few months ago too.

That is good. We have a BGA replacement machine too, called FineTech or something like that. We also use it for fine pitched leaded ICs. Everything else is good 'ole Solder Iron/Blower and a can do attitude.

Quote:

n the amount of time and the amount of heat that I used, it is nearly impossible for the solder to flow so much as to blow across their Solder Mask Cell. <600 degrees and <45 seconds. Normally Bridging occurs at >750 at the temp that we use to replace BGA chips at work.

We have oven profiles with a temp way lower that that with multiple BGAs on them (automotive grade PCBAs with 1-10k components). Not sure if you're using leaded or non-leaded paste though.
They provide Lead solder in some areas but most projects are strictly ROHS and the solder can't even enter the area. I usually use Lead solder when i'm needing to bridge the hell out of something. LOL
Posted Image

Cal
Member Avatar

So in what capacity is your role where you work? I'm a QE and mainly work with Toyota and create/enforce customer/quality guidelines from SMT, Hand Insert (wave solder), and actual assembly.

Posted Image

Rockman
Member Avatar
hoighty-toighty

Cal
Oct 7 2017, 01:39 AM
So in what capacity is your role where you work? I'm a QE and mainly work with Toyota and create/enforce customer/quality guidelines from SMT, Hand Insert (wave solder), and actual assembly.
I do test development for both board and system level. To include figuring out where to probe the board, creating a fixture and software framework to test it, developing test plans to test the board or assembled units, automating how the unit enters the fixture, automating the software to run a full test, RF test specs, creating connector translation board or multiplexer arrays for many channels, building relay networks, etc.

Before that I was the debug engineer for another project. I spent all my time debugging and repairing fresh SMT boards.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Tech and Creativity · Next Topic »

//