Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Rotation Advertisements

We hope you enjoy your visit to this forum.

If you are reading this then it means you are currently browsing the forum as a guest, we donít limit any of the content posted from guests however if you join, you will have the ability to join the discussions! We are always happy to see new faces at this forum and we would like to hear your opinion, so why not register now? It doesnít take long and you can get posting right away.

Click here to Register!

If you are having difficulties validating your account please email us at admin@dbzf.co.uk

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

Username:   Password:
Venom (2018)
Topic Started: Mar 17 2017, 02:46 AM (2,128 Views)
breaker335
Member Avatar

So this came out of nowhere:
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/826801-sony-pictures-venom-movie#/slide/1
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Top

+ Pyrus
Member Avatar

Meh. Might be decent, but it'll probably be trash.
Spoiler: click to toggle
Online Profile Quote Top

breaker335
Member Avatar

Pyrus
Mar 17 2017, 02:51 AM
Meh. Might be decent, but it'll probably be trash.
Well Logan came out great so fingers cross?
Posted Image

+ Green
Member Avatar
Flashy Thing!

Since Spider-man 3, and the rumors that followed, I always wondered how they would pull a movie like this off. Having a Venom movie without or with little footage of Spider-Man will be very hard. I'm also not sure how successful movies staring a villain have been in the past.

edit: I know Venom, especially depending on which one, have had their periods of benevolence
Edited by Green, Mar 17 2017, 04:08 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Don't you ever worry that you're on the Devil's side without even knowing it? - DCI John Luther
Black power ranger; I do not belong... B.o.B - Mr. Mister

EMIYA
Member Avatar
"I am the bone of my sword."

Hey kids! You want to see a stand alone movie about The Penguin? Of course not because that would be stupid and it would be stupid here.

You need to have an establishment of a secondary character in a film first before you can bring him outside of that series. Spider-Man is the main character while Venom is the secondary character. Whether that's as an antagonist, anti-hero or even a straight up protagonist. However beyond specific points in his run, Venom has been a character secondary to Spidey. The same thing the Joker is a secondary character to the main one Batman.

Give us a good Spider-Man film with Venom and make us, the viewers say, holy s***, Venom is a beast in this film, give me more of him. I hope he's portrayed by not Topher Grace.

And I would say that about almost character. I don't care how epic and amazing "Carnage" is in the comic books, you need to establish the character in the film first and the, if it seems like it'll work, put him in his own unique film.

Online Profile Quote Top

+ Emmeth
Member Avatar
I Yoeri

So let me get this straight...

They "gave" Spider-Man to Marvel, but decide to keep Venom to make a standalone movie about him?

That is... incredible odd to say the least.

Sounds like a desperate move to make money in case Spider-Man Homecoming flops.
Posted Image
My Twitch Page

Darker
Member Avatar
The Lord of the Dark

I feel like very few people here realize Venom's character works well enough for a standalone movie, his origin is pretty tragic and he is an anti-hero himself, there's a lot to work with here. Sure having the symbiote give him Spider-Man powers out of nowhere would be hard to explain, but it's not like these comic book adaptations care about adapting characters well, no matter how popular or major they are. Great cartoons such as Spider-Man: The Animated Series have managed to reinvent his origin to make it more suitable to some without the need of the massive crossover that was Secret Wars. Spectacular Spider-Man followed up on this origin, and Spider-Man 3 sorta did aswell.

Quote:

So this came out of nowhere

Actually, there's been rumors of this movie ever since that piece of trash called Spider-Man 3 came out.

Quote:

Hey kids! You want to see a stand alone movie about The Penguin? Of course not because that would be stupid and it would be stupid here.

I would watch that.
Posted Image

Capper's the name. Charming's my game.

lazerbem
Member Avatar

Yeah, Venom has had his own comics that are only tangentially close to Spider Man. I could see them doing a Flash Venom, he probably is the most stand alone.
Posted Image
Always a step behind.
Online Profile Quote Top

Darker
Member Avatar
The Lord of the Dark

I was mostly referring to everyone's favourite.

Posted Image

Fortunato is a random teenager close to Parker, so he's an unlikely host for the Venom of this movie. Gargan is a goon following orders, I doubt they'll choose him, and Flash is sort of a goon aswell, though in Thompson's case he's a soldier, and they could do a Captain America thing of trying out new serums or whatever with the symbiote to create a super soldier resulting in this movie's Venom.

Brock is the obvious choice, he's been Venom for the longest time and the most recognizable and memorable host, plus he's got the tragedy and the personality to make him interesting. Not saying the others aren't, but we definetely got a better grasp of Eddie's personality over such a long period of time compared to the others who have been with the symbiote for only a couple of years at most, and the symbiote was explored mostly during the Eddie Brock run, so if they want to have a subplot involving stuff about the symbiote, they would probably include scenes of Brock practicing with the symbiote's powers.

I hope the movie starts like this: http://imgur.com/a/jZnK1
Posted Image

lazerbem
Member Avatar

Eddie has the most personality, but he's also the most tied to Spider Man. What exactly would his revenge obsession focus on without him? It's not like there's any superpowered rival reporter/publisher to hate. I guess they could skip right to lethal protector, but lethal protector is disconnected from his backstory except by the vaguest connections.

Who's Venom in 2018 probably decides it due to publicity, but then again, Gargan wasn't Venom in 3 despite being so in the comics
Posted Image
Always a step behind.
Online Profile Quote Top

+ Steve
Member Avatar
TOMODACHI NI NAROU

For all the ways a Venom movie could work I'm 99.999% certain they won't do any of them well.

The current situation kinda sucks for this.
Sony Venom would be MUCH better than MCU Venom, uber child friendly Venom would just be sad.

But without the ties to other characters that people know or care about this film is a fish out of water, dying before the movie even starts.
It's going to have to be freaking exceptional to have the slightest chance and it only has the two hours or so to build that up and Sony's track record is not very promising.

It could work in the TASM universe but can they even bring that back really?
Posted Image

Darker
Member Avatar
The Lord of the Dark

lazerbem
Mar 17 2017, 01:21 PM
Eddie has the most personality, but he's also the most tied to Spider Man. What exactly would his revenge obsession focus on without him? It's not like there's any superpowered rival reporter/publisher to hate. I guess they could skip right to lethal protector, but lethal protector is disconnected from his backstory except by the vaguest connections.
ALL Venoms are tied with either Spidey or Brock, but Eddie is the easiest one to change without making him seem like a different character, and that's what would most likely happen to any of the others.

And it's not like Venom's always been after Spider-Man, there's more stuff to fill in the gaps that require him to be a character outside the Marvel universe. Many writers have recreated characters like Venom almost from scrap, I'm sure they can do it here assuming and hoping that they choose good writers to handle someone like Venom.
Posted Image

lazerbem
Member Avatar

All have, but some more than others. Take Spider Man out of the mix, and Gargan is still a smarmy thug who's got more power than he merits. Without Spider Man, Flash is still an angsty super soldier with an addiction. With Eddie, if you remove Spider Man, his whole "rargh, vengeance " thing doesn't work and he's not got as much reason to feel angry.
Edited by lazerbem, Mar 17 2017, 04:30 PM.
Posted Image
Always a step behind.
Online Profile Quote Top

Darker
Member Avatar
The Lord of the Dark

They can always include some other Marvel vigilante in there, I'm sure Sony's got the rights to some. Prowler maybe? Anyone would fit.

Posted Image
Posted Image

+ Steve
Member Avatar
TOMODACHI NI NAROU

I highly doubt they could pull off a movie centred around a villain while introducing a really unknown character in to it as well though.

I think we need more stuff like Spawn before we can have a villain based movie work.
It'd be cool to have many of them but without connections to verses and other characters it'd be hard to make them stand on their own two feet, the only people who would get it are people who read the comics.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Television and Films · Next Topic »

//