Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Rotation Advertisements

We hope you enjoy your visit to this forum.

If you are reading this then it means you are currently browsing the forum as a guest, we don’t limit any of the content posted from guests however if you join, you will have the ability to join the discussions! We are always happy to see new faces at this forum and we would like to hear your opinion, so why not register now? It doesn’t take long and you can get posting right away.

Click here to Register!

If you are having difficulties validating your account please email us at admin@dbzf.co.uk

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

Username:   Password:
Guide to the Media
Topic Started: Feb 14 2017, 12:02 PM (616 Views)
Copy_Ninja
Member Avatar
Hokage

I thought it'd be useful to discuss how to navigate the media in this day and age. The first thing I'd like to say is this: remember that convincing you to distrust the media at large only benefits politicians and the enormously rich/powerful. Keep this in mind when you see these people attacking media sources that report negative things about them. Now, this does not mean that you should just trust everything you see either. That would be equally as dumb. The media is a business after all, they want greater readership because it means more money. So, they will do their best to print things that people want to read. So, always be skeptical of what you're reading. Read the whole article and not just the headline. Look to see how many primary sources there are in the article you are reading and also look to see if those sources match the articles claim. It's the only way you're going to know if you're reading something legit or not.

Now, on to sources. People are always asking for completely neutral news sources that only report the news. This does not exist. These places are ran by people, articles are written by people. People have opinions, people are biased. So, instead of looking for something that doesn't exist, be aware of your sources bias' and read from sources that have both sides. Here's what I think is a decent guide to go by:

Left Leaning Sources:

New York Times
- Trump can rag on them all they want, they are fairly reliable. Yes, they do heavily dislike him so be aware that they are going to push those stories but they are generally a good source.

Washington Post
- Their investigative journalism is quite good, they tend to break a number of big stories. They're also not immune to attacking liberal politicians either, they were on the end of some criticism for their coverage of Obama too.

The Guardian
- Be careful with this one. Let me be clear, I only mean the Guardians news sections. DO NOT GET YOUR NEWS FROM GUARDIAN OPINION PIECES. Those opinion pieces will spin whatever they get so be careful

The Independent
- Despite the name, it certainly leans left. Quite good at informing you when their sources aren't a sure thing too.

"Centre"

BBC
- BBC is not really neutral, it tends to lean more to the government of the day. It leans a bit more to the right nowadays, though it's not overly partisan. Mind, this is right for the UK, so it wouldn't be so right in the US.

Right Leaning

Wall Street Journal
- I think they're irresponsible with their coverage of climate change but the WSJ can be fairly trustworthy with what they report.

The Hill
- Debatable where they really sit but I think they'd generally lean a bit more conservative than most. Obviously good for political stuff considering its the focus of the paper.

The Economist
- More focused on business but usually fairly decent.

I don't know how much I really trust it, but the National Review is good for a conservative perspective if not news.

Other

RT
- It's a state funded Russian organisation, so be heavily skeptical of what you read. But it's a very different perspective compared to Western outlets that I think everyone should consider.

Al Jazeera
- Again, don't believe everything but it's a useful perspective to read.

Be skeptical of the following:

CNN
- CNN can be susceptible for being blatant rating grabbers and showing any old s***. They're not fake news though and they do have some reporters with backbones like Anderson Cooper and Jake Tapper who don't take much s***. They also seem to be carving out a niche for town halls and debates even outside the election, which is worth watching because then you get fairly unfiltered from the source.

MSNBC
- Very left leaning, not afraid to show it. As am I, but I'm not reporting the news.

Absolute s*** you should avoid

Fox News (Republican propaganda outlet)
Brietbart (actual fake news)
InfoWars (conspiracy theory lunacy)
HuffPost (garbage)
Salon (more garbage)
Daily Mail (national disgrace for the UK)
The Sun (I take it back, this is the national disgrace for the UK). Actually any "red top" UK paper like The Mirror and such are tripe that you shouldn't read.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Top

+ Overly Facetious Goblin
Member Avatar
A Living Meme

Not really pertinent to the discussion as a whole, but why do you consider the Huffington Post "garbage?" I'm not arguing; I just didn't know that. I read a lot of articles there. I wouldn't consider it my favorite or anything, but I'm interested to hear your opinion on it.
Coolest was the Coolest
Posted Image
bloggo

* Mitas
Member Avatar
I'mma make it look sexy

I generally just use the Guardian for news. I know it's probably unhelpful to get your news from one sole source, but I only really want a snapshot of what's going on. Plus, I feel like I'm educated enough to be able to separate the actual news from the bias and opinion.
Posted Image
"Then you've got the chance to do better next time."
"Next time?"
"Course. Doing better next time. That's what life is."

Yu Narukami
Member Avatar
Izanagi!

I normally use WaPo, WSJ, The Guardian and i if I'm feeling like some physical news. I used to read a lot of The Independent, but since the 2015 general election, I try to stay away from it for the most part.
Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Top

Political Piper
Member Avatar

I'd agree with most of that.. Especially this
Quote:

So, they will do their best to print things that people want to read. So, always be skeptical of what you're reading. Read the whole article and not just the headline. Look to see how many primary sources there are in the article you are reading and also look to see if those sources match the articles claim. It's the only way you're going to know if you're reading something legit or not.
I would add to check another material to confirm.

New York Post should be in there since they are pretty much a sister company to Fox. Breitbart would be considered fake news now but when Ben Shapiro was EIC it was pretty legit.

Goblin,

Huffington Post is complete trash. I've read and seen many bias news media outlets, and not one comes close to Huff Post. Even many people in the comment section are like that. There are some leftists here but I like to think some (not all) but some of you are willing to listen to another side and debate it logically, contrast that with the comments on there. It will blow you away. Back then too, anyone could write for Huff Post as a contributor, you put an article on it and they choose what to post and what not. Much of what they chose was the most salacious stories, even if they were more of opinion and less in fact. David Seaman lost his contributor spot when he tried writing about the Clinton Foundation and Hillary possibly violating Article 1 Section 9 Clause 8 of the constitution.

Most of the Huff Posts articles are click-bait titles just to garner views and attention - it's puff piece journalism. They post anything, especially material considered smug, narcissistic, materialistic, superficial, etc, all to attract viewers. And like I said earlier, there is so much hate in the comment sections.. It seems like they don't only dislike your views, they sincerely dislike you as a fellow human and will never even consider a different viewpoint, which seems to be the case with the writing staff.

As Chruchill said, "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject".

Here is an editor's note from the Huff. Post..

“Editor’s note: Donald Trump regularly incites political violence and is a serial liar, rampant xenophobe, racist, misogynist and birther who has repeatedly pledged to ban all Muslims — 1.6 billion members of an entire religion — from entering the U.S.”

Edited by Political Piper, Feb 14 2017, 11:37 PM.

My Youtube Channel With More Political and Breaking News Videos

FOOD FOR THOUGHT: Antideestablishmentarianism

+ O Me Ga'd
Member Avatar
Cara En Blanco

Where would you out NPR?

Copy_Ninja
Member Avatar
Hokage

Overly Facetious Goblin
Feb 14 2017, 02:27 PM
Not really pertinent to the discussion as a whole, but why do you consider the Huffington Post "garbage?" I'm not arguing; I just didn't know that. I read a lot of articles there. I wouldn't consider it my favorite or anything, but I'm interested to hear your opinion on it.
Their articles are too editorialised. Piper posted one of their old editors notes above about Trump. That's not just something they put on one article, that was on EVERY article about the man. I despise Trump and for what it's worth I actually agree with the content of that note but a news source shouldn't be putting it in their articles like that. Write op-eds calling him out, I actively encourage that but don't mix it in with actual reporting.
Posted Image

+ Overly Facetious Goblin
Member Avatar
A Living Meme

O Me Ga'd
Feb 15 2017, 06:04 AM
Where would you out NPR?
NPR is great, but I believe it's left-leaning. I'm interested to hear what these guys think of it too.
Coolest was the Coolest
Posted Image
bloggo

Copy_Ninja
Member Avatar
Hokage

NPR is definitely liberal from the bits I've seen, so take that in to account. I don't use it enough to really comment on how good it is though, I suppose them having public funding makes them a little less susceptible to other stakeholders which is something to consider.
Posted Image

Mihawk
Member Avatar

This post is perfect. Some things I'd add

Fox's local networks can be really good. While the main branch is just a propaganda outlet, the local outlets can be really good in the sense that they get to scene very fast and just do pure reporting.

NYT is really good as a factual source of information. Outside of editorials, an NYT article is as close as you can get for factual information for the US. But it's definitely a left leaning paper (right or left leaning does not invalidate anything).

Posted Image

+ Green
Member Avatar
Flashy Thing!

What do you think of HBOs Vice News? I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable about news sources as some of you here so I would like to know what someone else thinks.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Params7
Member Avatar
Hail to the King

NYT is not a reliable source, specially concerning foreign matters and now domestic too. Reminder that it was their editor who pushed Iraq's "Weapons Of Mass Destruction" lies (Judith Miller). They again propagandized D.C.s interventions in Libya and Syria, blaming their dictators for justifying Western invasions. With Trump, they're pushing the Russia agenda, when Intelligence Community has presented no solid proof of Russia hacking anything in U.S., and we still have zero evidence for John Podesta's claims that Russia handed Assange his emails.

Wall Street Journal is ok..I trust their articles. When it comes to trustable media in U.S. - I think Al-Jazeera was really good but it got shutdown due to lack of ratings.
Edited by Params7, Feb 26 2017, 09:29 PM.
Posted Image

DanielSan
Member Avatar

Yeah I've falling out with Huffington Post after some of recent stuff they have pulled. I will admit I used to only get news from Youtube videos mostly and friends. More recently I have started watching the news on real networks and websites. Here are some networks, websites, and youtubers that you may have missed.

CSPAN: Heh well this isn't exactly the most exciting source. CSPAN is quite boring to most people, though they are suppose to be neutral, but even then they can show their own views at times. All networks have that.

Yahoo! News and Answers: Avoid! Those places aren't quite the best. Yahoo! News is similar to Daily Mail and Yahoo! Answers is a terrible site all around.

Youtube Channels:

Secular Talk: You may want to check sources with him as he has shotgun on some stories he has "heard of" but he doesn't know much about. He also kind of straw manned Hillary Clinton once Bernie ran; painting Hillary as really "conservative" and pushing off that she actually is not a liberal or something. He can be quite humorous at times, and condescending other times.

Sam Sedar: Generally good. He is competent and pretty well-spoken. Not particularity exciting but I feel most of the time he knows what he is talking about. He does have some moonbattery moments on GMOs. So just look out like you do with all other videos.

Sargon of Akkad: Avoid mostly in my opinion. Even if you are kind of right leaning. He has had a few fake news stories put off.

Other places.

NaturalNews: Avoid. This site is basically Tom Cruise's favorite site to get news from

The Onion: If you didn't know already, this is fake news. Fake news for entertainment mostly.

I am too lazy to list more lol.
Posted Image

Dingo
Member Avatar

I mostly get mainstream news from The Economist, BBC, and the New York times Sunday paper.

Rest is various interneting.
Wisdom

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Deep Discussion · Next Topic »

//