Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Rotation Advertisements

We hope you enjoy your visit to this forum.

If you are reading this then it means you are currently browsing the forum as a guest, we donít limit any of the content posted from guests however if you join, you will have the ability to join the discussions! We are always happy to see new faces at this forum and we would like to hear your opinion, so why not register now? It doesnít take long and you can get posting right away.

Click here to Register!

If you are having difficulties validating your account please email us at admin@dbzf.co.uk

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

Username:   Password:
Is gender dysphoria a mental disorder?
Topic Started: Jan 9 2017, 03:09 PM (691 Views)
+ Overly Facetious Goblin
Member Avatar
A Living Meme

... and if it is, is that really a bad thing?

I'll reserve my own opinion for later, since my long-winded opening posts tend to scare off commentators.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
gender dysphoria: the condition of feeling one's emotional and psychological identity as male or female to be opposite to one's biological sex.
Coolest was the Coolest
Posted Image
bloggo
Offline Profile Quote Top

Emmeth
Member Avatar
I Yoeri

It depends on what you think mental illness is.

In my opinion, no. You can't help what you've been born as. If you feel uncomfortable as a certain gender you're born as, you should do everything you can do make yourself comfortable. You only have one life.
Posted Image
My Twitch Page

+ Overly Facetious Goblin
Member Avatar
A Living Meme

Emmeth
Jan 9 2017, 03:18 PM
It depends on what you think mental illness is.

In my opinion, no. You can't help what you've been born as. If you feel uncomfortable as a certain gender you're born as, you should do everything you can do make yourself comfortable. You only have one life.
I agree; however, the same could be said for any other mental disorder. Most are either born or developed via a person's environment, much like gender dysphoria.
Coolest was the Coolest
Posted Image
bloggo

Dingo
Member Avatar

Depends if they want to seek mental treatment. If someone hates feeling gender dysphoria and wants help accepting their bio gender and or deciding their "true" gender then it should be classified as a mental disorder so that they can be given the help they seek.

If someone else feels that their bio gender is the wrong fit and just want to transition their physical body then it shouldn't be considered an issue. There is no mental conflict they just want to transition.

That's just my uneducated opinion tho. Idk what professional people are saying irl.
Edited by Dingo, Jan 9 2017, 05:47 PM.
Wisdom

* Sakura
Member Avatar
★ Bextreme Dream ★

My opinion is that, regardless of whether or not it's a mental disorder, the main goal in life is to be happy (Overly Facetious Goblin, 2017)

I understand that society needs words to be able to refer to things, and unfortunately anything that doesn't fit within the confines of normality often gets given negative-sounding words to refer to it or a stigma attached to it. Personally a more neutral term for it would be preferable, such as it being a 'mental condition' which doesn't convey any positive or negative connotation, just an indication of status.

But yeah, its kind of only a 'mental disorder' because people are willing to label it as such. If the stigma wasn't attached to the term 'disorder' the phenomenon of gender dysphoria wouldn't just disappear. It'd still exist because it is somebodies state of mind.

Posted Image
Posted Image

..:: Most Improved GFXer - 2016 ~ | ~ Joint Most Meme-savvy - 2016 ::..

* Mitas
Member Avatar
I'mma make it look sexy

Shouldn't there be a stigma surrounding 'disorders' though? I don't mean stigma as in looking down on those who have them, but they should definitely have negative connotations because they are negative. That doesn't necessarily have to mean that having them condemns you to negativity for the entirety of your life, but it does mean that it has a negative effect on your life experiences for as long as you have it. Disorder is the correct word, in my opinion, because it's something that needs to be fixed so that things are in a working order.

As for the topic, I don't really know enough to say. I was always under the impression that it was something that goes wrong in the development of the fetus, a mixup in hormone injections or the transition from female to male for males, which would make it biological. I imagine whether it was biological or mental would probably be important in terms of treatment, but then, even if it is biological, the mental health of those suffering from it would still take a hit. So I guess it doesn't really matter, as long as it's treated correctly.
Posted Image
"Then you've got the chance to do better next time."
"Next time?"
"Course. Doing better next time. That's what life is."

* Sakura
Member Avatar
★ Bextreme Dream ★

It's more the assumption that something is wrong with that person in the sense of they're some sort of second-class citizen that I object to, not the fact that there's something that needs to be addressed. That's the trouble with the stigma. The stigma includes a lot of crap and assumptions that get made off the back of something. It's also coupled with a complete lack of knowledge on the subject matter.

Posted Image
Posted Image

..:: Most Improved GFXer - 2016 ~ | ~ Joint Most Meme-savvy - 2016 ::..

Hip3r
Member Avatar

I personally don't think gender dysphoria is a mental disorder. And, based on the definition you provided, I think it's more like gender dysphoria could maybe lead to or result in mental disorders for some people who have gender dysphoria. But, that really depends on the person.

Posted Image

+ supersaqer
Member Avatar
Transcendent

Well, I'm not entirely sure, but probably it is. There are a lot of people who regret and get depressed post-sex reassignment surgery. Also, essentially, you could say gender dysphoria is about the same as Acrotomophilia or body integrity identity disorder, which are mental disorders, so yeah....
Posted Image

Speed-o'-Sound Sonic

Steve
Member Avatar
Elf Dimension Style Pupil

I'm inclined to say, generally yes.

There are a huge amount of variables to it but a weird upbringing can leave you confused about what you are and you can develop gender dysphoria so in that case definitely a mental oddity.

But not a bad one.

I don't believe people are born the wrong gender, it seems different to the likes of homosexuality.
You can't really make someone homosexual or heterosexual they're just wired totally differently to what you're aiming for but if you raise a female as a boy she'll feel like a boy, unless she has an extremely feminine hormone balance.

I hope all this gender neutral stuff doesn't take off, less than 1% of the population so far as we know experiences this but people want everyone to raise their kids neutral...way to confuse the poor kids. All you need is a supportive household where the kid feels comfortable talking about how they feel, about anything.
Better to point them down a direction they'll most likely follow instead of opening up a world of possibilities an adult can barely process.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Deep Discussion · Next Topic »

//