Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Rotation Advertisements

We hope you enjoy your visit to this forum.

If you are reading this then it means you are currently browsing the forum as a guest, we donít limit any of the content posted from guests however if you join, you will have the ability to join the discussions! We are always happy to see new faces at this forum and we would like to hear your opinion, so why not register now? It doesnít take long and you can get posting right away.

Click here to Register!

If you are having difficulties validating your account please email us at admin@dbzf.co.uk

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

Username:   Password:
Ted Cruz Introduces Term Limit Legislation
Topic Started: Jan 8 2017, 06:28 AM (231 Views)
Political Piper
Member Avatar

I for one agree with this. I think congress should have term limits. What better way to end Washington corruption then knowing you won't be there forever? As the old saying, your first duty when you get elected to public office is plan your re-election bid. However, I also agree that term limits does hinder the sanctity of a democracy because you are essentially preventing the people to vote for their chosen representatives. So here's my suggestion. We incorporate what George Washington said: I'm paraphrasing - "It is not a downgrade when a politician goes back to normal life but an upgrade, since the politician works for the people." We use this as the guideline to modify the benefits that those in congress receive.

Those in congress will no longer be granted a pension and a retirement fund. You could cut it in half or completely remove their benefits all together. This way they will only make a base pay and not have all the added perks. This should weed out those who want to do right by the people and those who are in it for themselves. A politician should not be a career, but an addition to a regular job. Sadly, congress are responsible for adjusting their own pay so this will never happen, and I don't believe Executive Orders could eradicate their benefits.

74% of Americans want term limits, according to a recent poll. I doubt Cruz's bill will get passed on the floor but I hope it at least can make it through committee. If he can even get the bill on the floor this would definitely help increase public awareness that there are those who are trying to institute term limits, that, and those who vote no on the bill will have to answer to their constituents who support Cruz's legislation. However, I'm not sure which committee the bill will be introduced to as I am not familiar with specifics of the various committees. I believe it will go to the Senate Judiciary Committee whose members consists of Chuck Grassley, Diane Feinstein, Lindsey Graham, etc, all people who have been there over a decade and a couple for more than one decade. I doubt they will vote yes to sent it to the floor.

What are your thoughts? Do you think their should be term limits? Do you think congress should not have retirement benefit?
Edited by Political Piper, Jan 8 2017, 06:30 AM.

My Youtube Channel With More Political and Breaking News Videos

FOOD FOR THOUGHT: Antideestablishmentarianism

Offline Profile Quote Top

Sam
Member Avatar
"Bwonsamdi, he be waiting to greet you."

I do agree with term limits. I think it is a good piece of legislation to introduce - though, it's doubtful that it'll get passed. I don't know the ins and outs of it nor how likely it is to pass, so I could be wrong, but, I've thought this for years. Even if the populace is voting someone into office repeatedly, it's often based on popularity and familiarity. Being in congress that long gives them that much more opportunity to be dirty and be manipulative. Plus, I do legitimately have a problem with some older congressmen.

For instance, Robert Byrd was pretty incoherent and even fell asleep during speeches in his late years, and died while he was still in office. And yet, he would easily win elections because of his popularity/how long he had been in office. I don't think that is a good representative of the people, regardless of whether or not they voted him in over and over again. Just my $.02.
Edited by Sam, Jan 8 2017, 06:45 AM.
Posted Image
Thanks to NinjaSushi for the art - and Darker for pestering me into changing it. Happy now? It's Logan! :p

Political Piper
Member Avatar

Sam
Jan 8 2017, 06:43 AM
I do agree with term limits. I think it is a good piece of legislation to introduce - though, it's doubtful that it'll get passed. I don't know the ins and outs of it nor how likely it is to pass, so I could be wrong, but, I've thought this for years. Even if the populace is voting someone into office repeatedly, it's often based on popularity and familiarity. Being in congress that long gives them that much more opportunity to be dirty and be manipulative. Plus, I do legitimately have a problem with some older congressmen.

For instance, Robert Byrd was pretty incoherent and even fell asleep during speeches in his late years, and died while he was still in office. And yet, he would easily win elections because of his popularity/how long he had been in office. I don't think that is a good representative of the people, regardless of whether or not they voted him in over and over again. Just my $.02.
Not to mention Robert Byrd was a racist and past member of the KKK, lol. But yes, I made a video where I discussed that very same thing. Even though the people vote for their congressman, those same congressman can be corrupted. Special interests, lobbyists, etc all try to influence them and they use money. A lot of times it is special interests that help fund their campaigns. So it's very hard to make it a fair campaign when you have the incumbent who has power and funds from influence running against a nobody, essentially.

My Youtube Channel With More Political and Breaking News Videos

FOOD FOR THOUGHT: Antideestablishmentarianism

Copy_Ninja
Member Avatar
Hokage

I don't think term limits are a good idea.

Being an elected official is the same as any other job, you learn as you do it. What term limits do is create an imbalance where too many representatives are inexperienced at actually doing the fundamental parts of the job like writing legislation. This actually gives more power to lobbyists and outside influences who are more likely to be able to railroad people who are less savvy to how things work and need more assistance. And yeah, there's plenty of poor representatives who keep getting voted in because of uncompetitive seats but that's on the people themselves frankly. You get who you vote for.

Posted Image

+ Green
Member Avatar
Flashy Thing!

What if the term limits were something like 10 or 15 years (that's assuming only 1 term is allowed)? Enough time to learn the job and get good at it. If people are hired in groups, then only a fraction of congress would be inexperienced at any given time. (i.e., 3 groups. 1 group is inexperienced, 1 has moderate experience, and the other is on its way out)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Don't you ever worry that you're on the Devil's side without even knowing it? - DCI John Luther

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »

//