Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Rotation Advertisements

We hope you enjoy your visit to this forum.

If you are reading this then it means you are currently browsing the forum as a guest, we donít limit any of the content posted from guests however if you join, you will have the ability to join the discussions! We are always happy to see new faces at this forum and we would like to hear your opinion, so why not register now? It doesnít take long and you can get posting right away.

Click here to Register!

If you are having difficulties validating your account please email us at admin@dbzf.co.uk

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

Username:   Password:
100 Albums in a Year
Topic Started: Jan 7 2017, 02:14 PM (655 Views)
* Mitas
Member Avatar
Wubba Lubba Dub-Dub!

I was browsing another forum and saw there was a topic titled '365 albums in 365 days' and thought it sounded like a cool idea. An album a day seems a bit too high for me, so I settled on 100 as a nice round number which works out to about 2 albums a week, although if I'm on track I might add more to the 100.

I'm making this topic just to see if anybody would be interested in taking on something similar and then using this topic as a place to review some of the albums they've listened to, or just keep track of those they've listened to, but no worries if there's no interest.

I've already picked my 100 albums, all of them hip-hop/rap because I'm boring. They're either albums I've wanted to listen to but haven't, 'classic' albums I haven't given enough of a listen to, or albums from artists I like but just haven't given them a 'proper' listen.
Posted Image
"Then you've got the chance to do better next time."
"Next time?"
"Course. Doing better next time. That's what life is."
Online Profile Quote Top

Emmeth
Member Avatar
I Yoeri

I like this idea, though if it's only rap/hip-hop I'm not sure I'd be willing to. Not the biggest fan of the genre.

I'll definitely listen to some, but not 100 hip-hop albums :P
Posted Image
Jennifer Parker: Dr. Brown, I brought this note back from the future and - now it's erased.
Doc: Of course it's erased!
Jennifer Parker: But what does that mean?
Doc: It means your future hasn't been written yet. No one's has. Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one, both of you.
Online Profile Quote Top

* Mitas
Member Avatar
Wubba Lubba Dub-Dub!

Oh no, that's just my own choice because that's the music I listen to most. You can choose whichever albums you want to if you'd want to do it.
Posted Image
"Next time?"
Online Profile Quote Top

Copy_Ninja
Member Avatar
Since I Left You, I Found the World So New

I probably average an album a day anyway so sure why not. I'll probably only pop in from time to time with some thoughts of some albums but I'll do my best. May as well start now with an album I'm totally digging atm:

Clipping - Splendor and Misery

This is a concept album about a man isolated on a spaceship far from humanity and how he and it fall in love. Yes, you read that right. It is very weird. Clipping are an odd hip hop group in general, they tend not to use drums, samples or the word 'I' in the lyrics. It's great though, the album tells a complete story and is full of great songs and it's only about 35 minutes from beginning to end. If you're not in to hip-hop then maybe skip it but if you have at least a passing interest in the genre then check it out.
Posted ImageAhhh Frankie Sinatra Ah Frank Sinatra
Frankie me boy you don't know
You have the perfect voice to sing calypso
Offline Profile Quote Top

* Mitas
Member Avatar
Wubba Lubba Dub-Dub!

Copy_Ninja
Jan 7 2017, 08:13 PM
I probably average an album a day anyway so sure why not. I'll probably only pop in from time to time with some thoughts of some albums but I'll do my best.
Yeah, that's what I had in mind. I guess there's nothing stopping people from reviewing every album they listen to, but that's a lot of posts, so yeah, jumping in with thoughts on albums that stuck out is probably what this topic will exist for.
Posted Image
"Next time?"
Online Profile Quote Top

* Riot
Member Avatar
Renoir

This sounds good, I've been wanting to expand my music repertoire lately and this is the perfect excuse to do it. I do not have a list so I will probably improvise a little. Also taking suggestions :P
Posted Image
Do I Wanna Know?
If This Feeling Flows Both Ways

Copy_Ninja
Member Avatar

Youth Is Only Ever Fun In Retrospect - Sundara Karma

I heard these guys a couple of years ago now I think, thought they had potential and kind of forgot about them. They released this LP within the last week and I really enjoyed it. It's quite typical indie stuff in all honesty, it hits all your classic themes mostly revolving around youth. It's pretty easy listening, displays both energetic quick tempos and more downplayed sombre beats and comes together as a cohesive work. The production quality also deserves a mention, I expected something a bit more lo-fi but it's quite tight.

* Mitas
Member Avatar
Wubba Lubba Dub-Dub!

Despite starting the topic, I've been lax and only listened to two albums so far. It's hard to snap out of just listening to my 'songs I'm less likely to skip' playlist.

My favourite of the two is Grief Pedigree by Ka. It's an album I've attempted a few times (which is the story for a lot of the albums I earmarked to listen to), but Ka's gritty flow, while apt for the music he makes, doesn't have a lot of 'bounce' to it, so can be tough to get into if the production is too bland. That being said, it was a good listen. He doesn't break ground in subject matter, but he delivers it well lyrically. Standout track for me is Decisions.
Posted Image
"Next time?"
Online Profile Quote Top

+ O Me Ga'd
Member Avatar
Cara En Blanco

I'll hop on this I think since the year is still a little fresh.

* Riot
Member Avatar
Renoir

Listened to Wolfmother's self titled album and I really enjoyed it.
Posted Image
Do I Wanna Know?
If This Feeling Flows Both Ways

tOMMY pICKLES
Member Avatar
Yare Yare Daze

i might get in on this as well. i doubt i can do 100 but well see.

probably start with Kendrick Lamars - To Pimp A Butterfly.
Posted Image

+ O Me Ga'd
Member Avatar
Cara En Blanco

I put on Shout At The Devil by Motley Crue before bed. Crashed about 4-5 songs deep. Liked what I heard so far, but I think their style is a bit one-note.

Edit: After finishing it, I found the album very solid, as well as fun. It is a bit lacking in diversity, but it works in their favor here.

Next up, Foo Fighters by Foo Fighters :D

Edit: 6 Albums deep now, listening to my 7th.
Edited by O Me Ga'd, Jan 24 2017, 01:02 AM.

* Mitas
Member Avatar
Wubba Lubba Dub-Dub!

I don't think I'm on pace for the 100, although I think I'll get a lot more listening done in the summer because I don't listen to music much at home and I get out and about everyday during the summer. But, listened to album number 4:

Telefone by Noname Gypsy - There are very few female rappers that I've thought are of the same quality as males, but Noname is one of them. Her flow and delivery remind me of Isaiah Rashad in that she's very melodic. My only criticism is similar to what O Me Ga'd said about one of his albums; it felt very samey. None of the tracks really stood out, it all just sort of melded into one long track, which made for an easy listen, but stopped it from being a memorable one. Still enjoyable though.
Posted Image
"Next time?"
Online Profile Quote Top

+ O Me Ga'd
Member Avatar
Cara En Blanco

I've been really slackin' compared to my jumpstart, I'm only 15 albums deep.

Copy_Ninja
Member Avatar

Forgot to post in here like I planned to, can't be bothered with long winded explanations so let's just jump in to some good stuff I've listened to so far this year.

The xx - I See You

Good album, not as good as Jamie XX's solo album from 2015 though. Better than their second album, not as good as their first.

Big Sean - I Decided

Better than I expected it to be! I've always kind of liked the dude and this is one of his better releases.

Sampha - Process

This album is sooooo smooth man.

Stoney (Deluxe) - Post Malone

Pretty normal for PM tbh, still liked it tho.

Japandroids - Near to the Wild Heart of Life

f*** yeah! Some music you can shout at a bit. Not as good as Celebration Rock but they'll never record anything as good as that ever again. Evolution in their sound as everything sounds a lot tighter and they're drifting in to more experimental stuff but it made for a good album.

Prince - Sign O' The Times

Been waiting for Prince to return to streaming services so I could listen to this album. Fantastic funk sound, might be one of my favourites of his. Think Purple Rain probably still edges it but only just.

Pinegrove - Cardinal

More weird indie lo-fi stuff that I love.

There's been some good singles that have come out so far but I won't post those because I'm waiting for the albums to drop. They've gotten me sufficiently hyped though.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Music · Next Topic »

//