Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Rotation Advertisements

We hope you enjoy your visit to this forum.

If you are reading this then it means you are currently browsing the forum as a guest, we donít limit any of the content posted from guests however if you join, you will have the ability to join the discussions! We are always happy to see new faces at this forum and we would like to hear your opinion, so why not register now? It doesnít take long and you can get posting right away.

Click here to Register!

If you are having difficulties validating your account please email us at admin@dbzf.co.uk

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

Username:   Password:
Why is hacking such a big deal now?
Topic Started: Jan 7 2017, 03:42 AM (208 Views)
Political Piper
Member Avatar

First, let me clarify, hacking is serious, but if you turn on the TV to any station you hear Russia hacking is destroying American democracy. They are evil and must be stopped, yadda yadda yadda. But this has been going on for years. Why do they care now? According to the GAO analysis of the US Computer Emergency Readiness Teams and Office of Management Budget Data has concluded that there have been over 350,000 cyber attacks from 2006-2015. http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2016/06/22/Cyberattacks-Against-US-Government-1300-2006

How often did we hear about that? Chinese spies repeatedly infiltrated U.S. national security agencies, including official email accounts, and stole U.S. secrets on Pentagon war plans for a future conflict with China, according to a forthcoming congressional commission report. http://freebeacon.com/national-security/report-chinese-spies-stole-pentagon-secrets/ How often do we hear about that?

We didn't hear of any of this until Trump won the election, then all of a sudden hacking has been detrimental to our way of life. Don't get me wrong, I'm upset that cyber attacks have increased 1300% on Obama's leadership. I agree with those upset over the alleged Russia attacks that Obama should have done more for cyber security, but I think it's safe to say there is another reason for this outrage. These people didn't all of a sudden turn on Obama's cyber defense. It's a delegetimization factor for the Trump victory.

The new report just released has now confirmed that voting machines were not hacked, and no solid evidence has been dispersed tying Russia to Wikileaks. So the only thing Russia did was try to spread propaganda to allegedly help Trump. Which is what the US and many countries have done throughout the ages. John McCain called Russia's alleged hack an act of war. But did he consider it an act of war when the US was spying on the French President's emails? If an act of war is trying to use propaganda for their own benefit, doesn't that mean the US has committed hundreds of acts of war?

The truth is, is that this is nothing but US propaganda to savage Hillary's loss and the loss of the democratic party at the National to the State level. The media likes to jump the gun asap, like the "Russian hacking" incident in Vermont which turned out to be false and blown out of proportion to solicit media support against the alleged Russia-Trump ties.

What does everyone else think? Is this nothing but propaganda being spread to savage some type of integrity and to convince themselves that the American people had to be mentally deceived to completely abandon the democratic party, especially in the rust belt states? Or are the Russians masters of all manipulation and inveiglement, and they are able to convert millions of people to change their minds from local to state to national?

PS - Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :)
Offline Profile Quote Top

Copy_Ninja
Member Avatar
Since I Left You, I Found the World So New

I find it strange that there's this narrative that Russian influence on the election was a problem only after Trump won. This was brought up before the election. There was a statement about it in October. Do you not remember Trump infamously saying on TV to Putin to find Hillary's missing emails? This was an issue even when people were assuming that Hilary was going to win. It's naturally a bigger story now for a few reasons:

1. Intelligence agencies are actually talking about it up front now the election is over and their statements won't effect the outcome.
2. With the election itself over naturally you move on to the fallout, stories like that are going to be more prominent as they fill in the news cycle.
3. It's part of the larger story of fake news that's a huge talking point at the minute.
4. Concerns people already have over Trump's attitude towards Putin
5. Part of it from some liberal outlets probably is to try to take the sting out of Trump's win.

Though it should also be noted this is a bipartisan issue, the GOP have been making statements against it too. Paul Ryan even approved of Obama expelling the Russian diplomats. I think it's a relevant issue for sure. One major problem both this election and the recent Brexit vote has showed is the sheer amount of disinformation out there on both sides. It makes for an extremely unhealthy and toxic debate. This is made all the worse when you have hostile foreign powers like Russia doing it on purpose. Does the US do this too? Most likely, they've certainly done it in the past. But two wrongs don't make a right. Also collecting intelligence on countries is one thing, hacking and disseminating information for propaganda is another.

Russia has been getting a lot bolder with their s*** over the last decade, what with Georgia, Ukraine, Syria etc. I don't know whether it's fair to say that Russia won Trump the election but their involvement is a concern for sure. It's a delicate line to walk but this is certainly a discussion that should be had now while the incident is still fresh and relevant.

Mihawk
Member Avatar

Hacking to influence the election is much greater than any hack that's been done to the US government over the past few years. It undermines the democratic system and makes the country susceptible to being a puppeteered by foreign powers.

The hack was not at all Obama's fault, the US government is not responsible for the DNC and their security. They have a broad sense of responsibility but the government is not responsible if a foreign nation hacks Apple for example. They are responsible to retaliate but not to protect.

The hacking and the prime suspect were brought up informally by a good number of intelligence agencies before the election. Hillary brought it up during the debates. But naturally Trump supporters just filtered that information out. The CIA had made a conclusion before the election, but Comey recommended that it would influence the election too much if they came out and said something about it before the election happened.

Dingo
Member Avatar

Bet the Russians love how big of a deal it has become.

Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Top

+ Green
Member Avatar
Flashy Thing!

Mihawk
Jan 7 2017, 09:02 PM
Hacking to influence the election is much greater than any hack that's been done to the US government over the past few years. It undermines the democratic system and makes the country susceptible to being a puppeteered by foreign powers.

The hack was not at all Obama's fault, the US government is not responsible for the DNC and their security. They have a broad sense of responsibility but the government is not responsible if a foreign nation hacks Apple for example. They are responsible to retaliate but not to protect.

The hacking and the prime suspect were brought up informally by a good number of intelligence agencies before the election. Hillary brought it up during the debates. But naturally Trump supporters just filtered that information out. The CIA had made a conclusion before the election, but Comey recommended that it would influence the election too much if they came out and said something about it before the election happened.
I 100% agree with you. The election is what brought hacking issues to the mainstream media. The issue is so significant that, as you say, it undermines our democratic system.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »

//