Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Rotation Advertisements

We hope you enjoy your visit to this forum.

If you are reading this then it means you are currently browsing the forum as a guest, we don’t limit any of the content posted from guests however if you join, you will have the ability to join the discussions! We are always happy to see new faces at this forum and we would like to hear your opinion, so why not register now? It doesn’t take long and you can get posting right away.

Click here to Register!

If you are having difficulties validating your account please email us at admin@dbzf.co.uk

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

Username:   Password:
Ever had a book you couldn't finish?
Topic Started: Nov 29 2016, 10:39 AM (647 Views)
SpeedoTrunks
No Avatar

As the title suggest, have you ever started reading something, and then just said, "No"?

Whether is be because its bad, or the writing style is difficult to adapt to, etc.

For me it was the book I was given for my high school exams, A Kestrel For A Knave which I would highly recommend you never...EVER....read. I honestly got about 2 chapters in, and my brain hurt it was so bad. (I ended up watching an almost equally bad movie about it and passed my exam).

Any books you couldn't finish?
Offline Profile Quote Top

* Mitas
Member Avatar
I'mma make it look sexy

This has happened to me on a couple occasions for a mixture of reasons e.g. writing style, not being in a 'reading mood' (which was the case for a few years), but most of the time I'll give it a second attempt at a later date. I couldn't get into Joe Abercrombie's writing style the first time around, with The Blade Itself, but on the second try I loved it and he's now one of my favourite authors.

One book I probably won't go back to is Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, which is the most recent time this has happened. I read around half the book, but the writing style felt very bland. It was basically just 'this happened, then this happened, then this person said this', which was fine for the first few chapters, but the further into the book I got, the less interested I was, until I just decided to stop and move onto something else.
Posted Image
"Then you've got the chance to do better next time."
"Next time?"
"Course. Doing better next time. That's what life is."

* Sousen Ichimonji
Member Avatar
You are calm and reposed, let your beauty unfold

I definitely will have more times than I can remember, but I'm generally very tenacious when I get started on something and try to see it through to the end, no matter what.

The most notable incomplete read for me is probably that I gave up halfway through Margaret Atwood's 'Cat's Eye', because I was being told to read it in English class and I was young and stupid and couldn't appreciate a book that wasn't about orcs and swords. I've since read a handful of Atwood's novels but always find the idea of going back to read a book I whined endlessly about embarrassing.

Edit: OHHHH I remember one I gave up on because it SUCKED. 'The King of Thorns' by Mark Lawrence. Edgy grimdark fantasy w*** at its absolute worst. God that was AWFUL.
Edited by Sousen Ichimonji, Nov 29 2016, 12:47 PM.
Posted Image

Call me a safe bet, I'm betting I'm not
I'm glad that you can forgive, only hoping as time goes, you can forget

Copy_Ninja
Member Avatar
Hokage

Sousen Ichimonji
Nov 29 2016, 12:45 PM
Edit: OHHHH I remember one I gave up on because it SUCKED. 'The King of Thorns' by Mark Lawrence. Edgy grimdark fantasy w*** at its absolute worst. God that was AWFUL.
Oh wow did you make it as far as the sequel? I gave up about a quarter way through the first one 'Prince of Thorns' before giving up. It's a shame in a sense because I've since read some cool stuff about the world from those books but the characters are just so awful and the grimdark aspects so over the top I gave up. The author is on reddit a decent amount and seems like a decent guy but yeah, not a good book.

I've given up on a few over the years, the one I just mentioned being one of them. A lot of them were low tier fantasy books tbh, I find it's a genre where unfortunately novels that I think are just plain bad can rise to the top in both popularity and critical acclaim. Off the top of my head this applies to Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson, The Malazan Series by Steven Eriksen and The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. All beloved in the genre, all pretty much bored me to sleep.
Edited by Copy_Ninja, Nov 29 2016, 03:07 PM.
Posted Image

+ Overly Facetious Goblin
Member Avatar
A Living Meme

Quote:

Bahaha, that's funny. I remember trying to read that book a couple of years ago. Got about three chapters in before I gave up due to the very same reason. The protagonist was so unlikable from what I remember.

This topic is hard for me to answer because I've given up on so many books for a variety of reasons--they either sucked, I wasn't in the mood, or I didn't feel "ready."
Coolest was the Coolest
Posted Image
bloggo

SpeedoTrunks
No Avatar

I need to add the first Harry Potter onto my list. Tried reading it MANY years ago, and just could not get into it at all. I was 12 or 13, (I think), at the time and just couldn't get past how it came across, which was "This is a kids book".

* Mitas
Member Avatar
I'mma make it look sexy

The first two books are very much kids books, but from the 3rd onwards it begins to darken in tone and by the later books I'd say they can be considered just books, rather than kid or teen books. But yeah, I think the only reason I can reread the first two books is because of nostalgia, not because of the books themselves, so I can understand feeling that way.
Posted Image
"Next time?"

+ Greenough
Member Avatar
狼牙風風拳

Inheritance, it was the only book in the series I couldn't finish. That was around the time that my drive for reading really died down. After and before that there were several other books I never finished.
Dragon Ball Z Forum, All are Welcomed: Planet Vegeta
Posted Image

Spoiler: click to toggle

* Sousen Ichimonji
Member Avatar
You are calm and reposed, let your beauty unfold

Tbf Inheritance was also really bad. I think I realised Paolini was a hack about 40 pages in to Brisingr
Posted Image

Call me a safe bet, I'm betting I'm not
I'm glad that you can forgive, only hoping as time goes, you can forget

gamingmaster1
No Avatar

Lord of the Ring, I have been reading it for three years from now and still reading it. The book is very long. However, it has kept me reading for a long time because the story is very interesting. I would highly recommend it to anyone reading a novel. Another one would be Harry Potter, that book is long too. Again the story is interesting which has kept me reading for a long time too.
Edited by EMIYA, Dec 22 2016, 09:11 PM.

* Mitas
Member Avatar
I'mma make it look sexy

Yeah, I remember attempting LOTR when I was younger, about 12-13, and I didn't finish it. I stopped somewhere in the Two Towers (I've got a one volume edition, which made it even more formidable). Even then, I skipped all the songs. But I went back and finished t this summer and it was really enjoyable.
Posted Image
"Next time?"

Agent Dark
Member Avatar

I tried reading LOTR as a kid as well and just couldn't finish it because it was too much for me.

I might give it another shot now though.
Posted Image

+ Greenough
Member Avatar
狼牙風風拳

Sousen Ichimonji
Dec 5 2016, 01:03 AM
Tbf Inheritance was also really bad. I think I realised Paolini was a hack about 40 pages in to Brisingr
Star Wars rip off.
Dragon Ball Z Forum, All are Welcomed: Planet Vegeta
Posted Image

+ Buuberries
Member Avatar
No

to kill a mockingbird

f***ing hated that s***ty a*** piece of f***.
¯\(°_o)/¯

SpeedoTrunks
No Avatar

Buuberries
Mar 11 2017, 09:14 PM
to kill a mockingbird

f***ing hated that s***ty a*** piece of f***.
Buu! NOOOO!!

To Kill a Mockingbird is GREAT! I'll grant it's a bit slow to start, but once it gets into the main "story" its very very good.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Books · Next Topic »

//